PDA

View Full Version : antibiotics and dairy

Giggle Squirt
04-22-2009, 11:22 PM
I am currently on anitbitoics and during a random coversation at work today i was old that drinking milk or eating yogurt while on anitbiotics would counteract the effect of the antibiotics...... is this true or just an old wives tale so to speak??? I usually take my anitibitics with my prenatal and a huge glass of milk... I am getting conflicting reports on line... some say no, some say yes... I plan on calling tomorrow anywys because i don't think it is clearing up at all.. But anyways... just curious... and aparently all the calcium and zinc and iron in the prenatal will effect the way the anitbitoic is absorbed into my system.... I don't know any info would be good!!!1

kitty&mimi
04-23-2009, 08:14 AM
the best thing to do is to ask ur pharmacist
i think it depends on the antibiotic itself, and not just ALL antibiotics
it should have had a little sticker on the bottle....
like "do not take with dairy" or something
but again, i would ask the pharm

Kittie
04-23-2009, 12:43 PM
I know both my amoxicillan and penicilin say no dairy.

Don't really know about others, best to ask your pharmacist like Kitty said.

Giggle Squirt
04-23-2009, 09:27 PM
well, i am on a different antibiotic now... :S i hate taking pills....

kitca
04-24-2009, 12:14 PM
i do know that after finishing your antibiotics it is very good for your intestines to take yogurt or even the pills or power from the health food store with all the cultures in the yogurt but in a larger amount than just eating the yogurt alone.

Giggle Squirt
04-25-2009, 12:34 AM
thanks for the advice... I was on the anibiotic and aparently not only did it kill what it was supposed to but it killed other good bacteria that caused another infection... oh the fun stuff.