PDA

View Full Version : any breastfeeding moms out there!!

MissMuffett
04-25-2009, 08:20 AM
My daughter is almost 1 and i am doing some reasearch and asking questions..

=i nurse about 5-6 times a day and once @ night
=she only has 2 teeth so she doesnt chew food too well.. she will eat anything that disolves or is soft to chew
=I want to get her to go straight to a sippy cup. (i bought a soft spout one)
=she likes juice out of the sippy cup(orange juice and water (1to5 ratio))
=she doesnt like the taste of milk 4% from her cup.. should i warm it or keep it cold.. should i mix my milk with it so she gets use to the flavor of 4%.. can they b mixed? will my milk spoil in the 4% and how long should i leave it out.
=should i just keep doing what im doing and give her her cup with 4% daily and she'll get the drift of it.. and let her decide to wean??? and wait til she eats better when she gets more teeth..
=i dont want to be nursing till shes in school
=shes very tiny.. she fits into 9-12 month clothes..
=should i just continue to nurse because of her small size until shes bigger.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sophie's_Mommy
04-25-2009, 09:50 AM
i dont have a answer to any of the questions you asked, i tried to breastfeed but had to stop when she was 7 weeks old cause my milk supply was really low. She is 10 months old now, has 6 teeth, wont drink from a sippy cup but will drink from a normal cup and fits in clothes that are 18 month-24 month..lol..
but i have a friend here with me now who can answer some of your questions, she said she mixed her milk with the 4 percent and what she would do was put her breast milk in a separate container in the fridge and mix it as she needed to. it helped a bit and her daughter drank it, also make sure the milk is the same temp as your breastmilk..cold and warm milk taste diffrent.

is she eating jar baby foods 2 times a day? my feeding schedule for my daughter is
breakfast she has her pablum, usually apple cinnimon flavor or raspberry yogurt flavor, i buy diffrent boxes according to her age all diffrent flavors and switch them up every morning.
for lunch she has a jar of veggies and a jar of fruits with a couple ozs of apple juice.
for a afternoon snack she ll have these rice cracker called mum mum for babys. someone from here told me about them and im glad she did cause they are awesome and met right away in their mouths.
for supper she has a jar of meat/veggie, like chicken noodle and veggie/turkey stew/ ect..its kinda chunky texture, and a jar of fruits and a minigo yogurt and fruit juice(apple)
she also has her formula in between, she drinks about 20 oz of formula a day.
and before bed she ll have some rice crackers or yogurt or what ever we had for dessert , shes at that age where she can pretty much eat anythign now..

you also said u want her to drink from a sippy cup? that is hard, well for me at least, my daughter will not drink form a sippy cup , she only plays with it, but if i take the lid off she ll drink from it..lol..
i dont knwo if i helped at all but my friend told you about the milk issue anyways and how she did it and it worked for her to ween her off the breastfeeding. the only reason i showed you my feeding schedule is cause you said your daughter was small and i dont knwo if you meant small as in her eating or small as in thas who she is..lol..every baby is different. My daughter is in the 15 percent range for her weight and height, shes a big girl but not fat thank god..lol.

Jst4u
04-25-2009, 10:30 AM
I wouldn't judge anything by her size. My daughter will be 2 in May and is a whole 25 lbs and still fits 12 month size clothes. She wore the same pajamas from birth to 9 months. Yet she eats non-stop ALL day. She will eat 3 bowls of cereal for breakfast if I let her (with two sippy cups of juice mixed with water, of course) and she's ready for half a box of KD for lunch an hour or two later.

I started giving her water in sippy cups at about 7 months. I gave her cows milk around 8 months and she weaned herself by 9 months. She'd actually laugh at me if I tried to nurse her. So I guess I'm not much help...mine was easy lol Just wanted to tell you not to judge anything by her size. Mine started out 8lbs 8oz, 21" and she's had quite the appetite for the last 2 years...but she's the size of most 1 year olds lol

Sophie's_Mommy
04-25-2009, 11:03 AM
yes like jst4u said do not judge by weight, every kid is diffrent and just as healthy no matter what size they are..just like adults, some adults i see can eat like a pig and not gain a oz but some can eat very litle and gain alot of weight..everyone's metabolism is different

bluekrissyspikes
04-25-2009, 12:51 PM
if you are worried about not wanting to breastfeed her until she's in school, don't. she's not even one yet! i breastfed my 2 year old until he was 16 months old and stopped because he was pinching me. if you want to wean her for other reasons, that is your choice but she is not too old to be nursing and don't let anyone fill your head with that idea. for weaning, i'd do it slowly, start by putting your own milk into the cup and slowly add more and more 4% until it's all cows milk. let her nurse a couple times a day while she is getting used to the idea. if she is not eating much 'solids' (baby food, toast, ect) and you stop breastfeeding then give her vitamines too or some kind of pediasure to make sure she's getting everything she needs.

Luv'inLife
04-25-2009, 12:51 PM
she will eat if she is hungry, you can try putting your milk in the sippy cup until she gets used to not nursing, only cut nursing time by 2 feeding/24hours for about two weeks and exchange for a sippy cup, if she does o.k. cut back another feeding until she is weaned, the night one will probably be the hardest to stop cause your both too tired to try hard, but when you are both ready just cuddle her and give her the sippy cup, take your time, try giving her alternative to milk if she doesn't like it such as cheese yogurt, pudding, you will know when you are both ready and if you are enjoying nursing then theres no problem, as for her size, it happens my smallest baby/child was my biggest eater, like I said she will eat if she is hungry, don't coax or you will end up with a very demanding picky eater...I always kept a plate in the frig with stuff that my kids could just grab depending on their age it would have cheese, lunch meat, a pickle, also there was always yogurt, pudding, jello, and as they could chew well apple cut up and other fruit sections.

hope its helpful my four children lived to tell about it,lol

Sophie's_Mommy
04-26-2009, 09:37 AM
is she only breastfeeding? Does she eat jar baby foods? cause at 6 months they are ready for jar foods and at 4-5 months they are suppose to be eating rice pablum..

MissMuffett
04-26-2009, 08:42 PM
yeah she eats jar food.. pablum.. and some foods.. Shes getting better chewing. I think i should worry less and she will wean when she is ready.. Once she is better chewing and better on the cup than i will start slowing down, or when she is ready.. :D shes my last so im savoring every minute of it...

Luv'inLife
04-26-2009, 09:51 PM
enjoy every minute...they grow up fast.

pickles for sale
04-26-2009, 10:30 PM
is she only breastfeeding? Does she eat jar baby foods? cause at 6 months they are ready for jar foods and at 4-5 months they are suppose to be eating rice pablum..

According to the World Health Organization, American Academy of Pediatrics and Canadian Pediatrics...the only thing a baby should recieve until six months of age is breastmilk (preferred) or formula. Their immature digestive tract just isn`t ready for anything else.

They also recommend that a baby is breastfed until age 2 and beyond.

So...please don`t wean because you feel you need to....

I can give resources if required.

MissMuffett
04-26-2009, 11:01 PM
thank you girls for the encouragement.... i think i'll just stick it out till shes ready. :D it really is amazing.. im glad i stuck it out..

Sophie's_Mommy
04-27-2009, 11:31 AM
According to the World Health Organization, American Academy of Pediatrics and Canadian Pediatrics...the only thing a baby should recieve until six months of age is breastmilk (preferred) or formula. Their immature digestive tract just isn`t ready for anything else.

i was going by what her doctor told me to do. he said at 4 months to give her 2 tblsp of pablum in the mornings, then formula the rest of the day, and at 6 months to start her on beginners jar foods half at lunch and the other half at supper, and to only introduce one food at a time give it 3 days and try another..but to still make sure they are drinking at least 24 ozs of formula or b.m per day even on jar foods..
i did it with my daughter and she was fine, healthy and is a great size baby..lol.and never had any issues with the food, but every baby is different, some are ready at that age and some are not..its trail by error, but still make sure they get 24 or more ozs of formula or b.m. per day..

Jst4u
04-27-2009, 12:09 PM

There's always some doctor somewhere who has an opinion or facts and they're always right...no matter how many doctors everywhere say this or that, they're all right even if they contradict each other.

My daughter started rice cereal for breakfast at 4 months and had stopped eating jarred foods completely at 8 months, weaned completely by 9 months (her choice) and has been eating only adult food since. She also slept on her belly since birth, even though I had a nurse tell me that I "didn't want it on my conscience when she died" (exact words) and I was also "reported" to the AHU because of it.

I never forced anything on my daughter. When she was ready to move to the next step, we did. If she could sleep 12 hours/night on her belly, she did. She wanted to stop nursing at 9 months, she did. I wasn't going to force her because a new study has decided what is best for her at this time. At that age, her body tells her what she needs/doesn't need. It's up to mommy to respond accordingly.

That just the opinion of a mommy with a healthy, active and fully functioning 2 year old :)

Sophie's_Mommy
04-27-2009, 12:34 PM
the whole sleeping on their backs and belly things are non sense. Every couple years they change how the baby should sleep only because they cant figure out sids so they blame it on the sleeping. We all slept on our bellys and lived. They say sleeping on the belly can suffocate them , and before sleeping on their back they could choke on puke so they were told to put them on their sides. My daughter can move around fine on her own and she rotates from back to side to belly and she lived and is just fine. When she was born and i was told to make sure she slept on her back, not her side or belly, i got scared, i told the nurse , well what if she pukes in her sleep and chokes, the nurse said well she will turn her head, well if thats the case would she not turn her head when on her belly if she could not breath?
I can not believe the nurse said that to you, well ya i guess i can, there are a couple nurses on the 3rd floor that are rude and just plain dense. And i can t believe they reported you tro ahu..thats sad..
When my daughter was in the hospital with a UTI the nurse had her sleeping on her side with a blanket rolled behind her, cause from her sleeping on her back she had a lfat spot, si the nurse told me to keep her on her side and rotate her to make the spot go back to normal which it is now. Then one night when there was a diffrent nurse i had her on her side and she got mad at me, i told her the other nurse told me to and she said, i cant see a nurse telling you to do that..like i was lying to her..lol.

Sophie's_Mommy
04-27-2009, 12:35 PM
and when i was talking to a nurse, whos sister works for cas she said they are not calling it sids anymore they are calling it suds.
Sudden Unexpected Death Syndrome.

pickles for sale
04-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Here is a link with updated information regarding the introduction of solids. It lists the experts that reccommend the guidelines, and why they make the recommendations.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

I disagree with health care professionals using scare tactics, like the one Jst4u mentioned. I had a similiar experience when I declined the chicken pox vaccine, the nurse said "wouldn't you feel awful if your child dies from the chicken pox?" Of course I would. But, there isn't enough information available at the present time to make me feel comfortable getting the vaccine. Also the chances of a normally healthy child dying from chicken pox is pretty slim. The comment made by the nurse was uncalled for and unprofessional. It was not her place to tell me her opinion, but rather she should present me with information.

As a parent you are an expert on your child, and of course, most parents do what they feel is best for their child with the knowledge and information they have!

b&aMom
04-27-2009, 10:02 PM
I swear, some...MANY...health care "professionals" stop using their brains after leaving school. LOL

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. I followed the schedule in the book they handed out to new Mommies in BC. I nursed (breast and formula) from birth, introduced baby juices in a sippy cup and pablum at 6 months, and followed with foods from there. We were too poor to buy baby food back then, so I cooked and pureed apples, carrots, peas, pears etc., and froze them ice cube trays. About the same time I introduced Cheerios...good because they get them used to different textures, encourages eye-hand coordination, and provides them with hours of pleasure by throwing them on the floor for Mom to pick up. By 9 months she was nursing only just before bed, and by a year, she'd had enough. That's also the time I switched from the little bit of formula that replaced breast milk during the day, with whole milk (3.whatever%).

Guidelines are just that...guidelines. They are to help guide you through, they are not written in stone. You know your baby best. Do what fits best for YOU and your baby.

Sophie's_Mommy
04-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Here is a link with updated information regarding the introduction of solids. It lists the experts that reccommend the guidelines, and why they make the recommendations.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

I disagree with health care professionals using scare tactics, like the one Jst4u mentioned. I had a similiar experience when I declined the chicken pox vaccine, the nurse said "wouldn't you feel awful if your child dies from the chicken pox?" Of course I would. But, there isn't enough information available at the present time to make me feel comfortable getting the vaccine. Also the chances of a normally healthy child dying from chicken pox is pretty slim. The comment made by the nurse was uncalled for and unprofessional. It was not her place to tell me her opinion, but rather she should present me with information.

As a parent you are an expert on your child, and of course, most parents do what they feel is best for their child with the knowledge and information they have!

i know, some of those nurses were just air heads..lol..and i dont think i have ever heard of any kid dying from chicken poxs, im sure some may have but in 30 yrs none of my friends, cousins or kids i knew died form it. We all had it, itched like hell got over it and went on our way...
my aunt almost died 13 years ago, she was in her late 40s her son had it and she ended uop in the hospital hanging on for her life. If my mother did not notice she was confused and just acting weird and brought her in she would of died in er sleep. Adults and chicken poxs are a deadly mix, There is a name for it and its long and starts with a T but i dont remember it, To this day she has memory problems and is on disability because of it..
I am debating whether or not to have mine vaccinated for it or not....

sorry bout hijacking your thread..lol.
but about your topic, you ll know what is best for her like b&ma said...i did what i felt was right ansd my daughter could not be healthier :)