PDA

View Full Version : BEEN TO MEXICO? Or in contact.....

Karen-Annie
04-26-2009, 05:26 PM
....with somone who has been there? Getting scary.

From CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/26/swin.flu.risks/index.html

and
From Globe and Mail:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090426.wswineflucanada0426/BNStory/National/home

Wash your hands,people! And if you've been exposed and are coughing & sneezing, for heaven's sake stay home and cover your mouth/nose when coughing/sneezing/dripping.......and wash your hands/use hand sanitizer frequently.

With today's air travel, this can spread fast.

chase_me
04-26-2009, 06:14 PM
hemis cousin left fri for Mexico

b&aMom
04-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Karen-Annie, why scary? Until they report that people in the US or Canada are dying from it, in numbers greater than the average seasonal flu deaths, my N95s stay in the box. ; )

Guess I burned out on SARS being so close, and too much H5N1 info a few years ago. And read too much on the Spanish Lady. Reassortment, recombination, blah, blah. Besides, the last swine flu go 'round the vaccine was worse than the flu.

verotik66
04-26-2009, 10:42 PM
lol it was, the vaccine killed or made people sick for months.

Jackie B
04-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Karen-Annie, do you know if there have been any reported cases in the Soo? I have had the symptoms, fever, cough, sore throat, body aches and headache for 6 weeks. I have never had cold and flu symptoms together in one illness before this.

I just kept waiting for it to go away, because I'm not one to run to the doctor every time I sneeze, and I know you don't get antibiotics for cold and flu, so I just sucked it up. I finally went to emerg yesterday when I realized it just wasn't going to go away on it's own and I was getting really run down. I left with an antibiotic.

kitty&mimi
04-27-2009, 06:47 AM
i think there are anti viral drugs out there, (from what i read) but not sure how they work...
i read last night also that "tamiflu" is ready (in the US) in case there's an emergency
is this tamiflu the shot we get here? (flu shot?)
and my other questions (related) are we covered if we got the flu shot this yr???

just remember to wash ur hands and bring around those hand sanitizers with u!

b&aMom
04-27-2009, 07:06 AM
is this tamiflu the shot we get here? (flu shot?)
and my other questions (related) are we covered if we got the flu shot this yr???

No, Tamiflu is an anti-viral drug, the flu shot is a vaccine with a bit of usually three different flu strains that they expect will be going around (or very close cousins of the ones expected to be going around).

The recommended strains for next winter's vaccine are named A/Brisbane/59/2007, which is the H1N1 virus; A/Brisbane/10/2007, which is the H3N2 virus; and B/Florida/4/2006.

That is from a CTV article at

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080215/flu_vaccine_080215/20080215?hub=Health

from Feb. 15, 2008, when they were deciding what to put in this year's flu shot. Given that the newly identified Swine Flu is the H1N1 virus, and we've all probably had exposure to H1N1 before, this is a variant, and our bodies have seen something like it before. This is also the virus that caused the Spanish Flu, that helped end WWI, however, flu virus mutates a lot. It's not in the interest of the virus to mutate so much that it kills it's host, or at least quickly, because if it kills too quickly, then it can't spread easily. Think Ebola. So, if you believe in the theory of natural selection, survival of the fittest, and all that, a virus will tame itself pretty quickly, or it dies out.

Lollypop
04-27-2009, 10:38 AM
I for one find this very scary.
It is hitting closer to home as Michigan now has a confirmed case.

MaO3
04-27-2009, 10:56 AM
The thing to remember with any kind of flu virus is that healthy people may get it but it won't be serious. People who live in under serviced, poverty ridden area's or those with compromised imune systems are the ones who need to be very concerned about these kinds of flu virus.

Generally speaking healthy people may get sick but not in a life threatening way.

edited to add: the old, the young and those with other underlying medical conditions are at risk.

kitty&mimi
04-27-2009, 06:46 PM
there's cases in toronto....
im going there tomorrow
loading up on hand sanitizer!