PDA

View Full Version : Impetigo....

Giggle Squirt
04-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Ok, so exactly how contageous is this.. all the websites i have been reading say extreamly contageous... I sent my son to school today thinking it was just irritation from a cold he had.... and blowing his nose made it raw and stuff... then today when he got home from school, i noticed ti spread halfway across his face... so i took him down to the walkin and they said it was impetigo.. took a swab of the puss (sorry tmi) so he is on anitbiotics now.. i am going to call the school tomorrow and let them know, but last night he gave his brother his nightly kiss good night, and gave me a kiss good night, and i have been putting vasaline on his nose thinking it was just raw from the cold he had and blowing his nose... I am worried that his brothter might get it... it was really weird how it came on.. I have never heard of this before... He had a cold for a while, and started with a blister on his nose... i figured it was a fever blister or irritation from blowing his nose.. then he came home with a scab on his lip and i figured that his lips were dry and they cracked and had a scab on them now.. then this weekend nothing really chaged.. his nose blead every time he blew it because it was so dry from the blister so i was putting vasaline in it.. to moisten it.. then today when he came home from school half his face was covered in blisters/scabb thing and so i took him down and that is what they said it was....

bluekrissyspikes
04-27-2009, 11:51 PM
it's pretty contagious. it can be passed by kissing, by touching his face and then touching someone elses face. poor kid. he probably won't be allowed at school. i had it once when i was in school. i got it from my bf before he had anything other than a little scab and it spread all over my face. i was not allowed to go to school until it had all cleared up, not that i wanted to go to school with that on my face..lol. as far as i know it's not really that dangerous, just looks gross.

Giggle Squirt
04-28-2009, 12:02 AM
ugh i feel so bad.. I just thought that it was scabbing because he was sick and blowing his nose like 500 time a day and his lips were dry and cracking... poor guy was in so much pain this evening. I cleaned everythign he touched and lysoled his room and i gues it takes 1 to 3 days to show up i just pray his borther does not get it. i don't think i will get it considering that i have been drowning in anitbiotics for the past 11 days..... i am going to for sure call the school tomorrow so that maybe they can really sanatise his classroom and maybe prevent other kids from getting this.. do schools do this when some kids has something that is really contagious? I would feel horriable if one of his friends got it..

cheeky
04-28-2009, 07:31 AM
I just got over a case of this recently. Ughhh. When I went to the walk-in the Dr. told me that there were many cases of it showing up, and yup it's highly contagious. Not 100% sure how I managed to get it, but I do work with money, so it's possible that I didn't sanitize well enough after doing so. I found the best thing to put on it was Triple Action Polysporin. It helped keep it from itching and also kept me from scarring. With the antibiotics and polysporin it was all cleared up in a couple of days.

Sophie's_Mommy
04-28-2009, 11:29 AM
i use to get cold sores all the time, i (knock on wood) have not had one in a couple years. I did have Impetigo a couple times when i was a child. It was all over my nose and cheek, itched like hell. It is contagious they say but i never passed it to my sister or my parents.
It take a while for it to go away and make sure he does not scratch or pick it, picking will make it spread...poor guy, his face must be so itchy and burning..

Giggle Squirt
04-28-2009, 12:06 PM
well nothing was reported at the school.. kept him home today to deal with this.. he is on anitbiotics. should be a fun day.. he does not itch it i have him on allergy meds to stop the ithing..

bluekrissyspikes
04-28-2009, 12:33 PM
i think schools wipe down the desks, tables, chairs, ect. nightly. at least some schools do anyways.

b&aMom
04-28-2009, 08:13 PM
It's just an infection caused by either staph or strep. Could be either. Wash all linens, towels, facecloths, etc. in hot water or bleach to disinfect. Don't share them, etc. Not nearly as bad as a lice cleanup. Tough on the poor kiddos though. Oh, and it gets in through pre-existing rashes, cuts, excema (sp?), etc. So the poor kid probably got it from a raw nose. Maybe next time instead of using vaseline to moisturize it, try antibiotic ointment?

Giggle Squirt
04-28-2009, 09:46 PM
thanks for the tip b&amom, i always wash my towels and stuff on the sanatisation cycle for my washer... his came bach the strep form of it. I have not had to deal with lice...*knock on wood* i guess from now on i will use a polysporin type stuff when his noes get bad from colds and stuff... I am always so scared to use antibiotic creams and soaps becuse you always hear about the resitance to antibiotics and such... But he has had one full day of the anitbiotics and last night and he sais his face is feeling much better and has not even attempted to scratch it.