PDA

View Full Version : PS3 vs. XBOX 360

rmkryan
04-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Hey. I'm trying decide which to get. I have always been a fan on Sony and love what the PS3 has to offer. I am looking for opinions and your reasons why you like one console better than another. Any opinions, thoughts, and facts you have would be appreciated.

filthy
04-30-2009, 12:58 AM
I have a PS3 and a modded Elite 360, and even though the games are free on the XBOX, I prefer the PS3.

Online access for gaming and friends is free, XBOX is not much but $70/year.

And the PS3's hard drive is wide open, Linux, Media Center ect.. Even backing up your content/saves.

Other than that the games are the same price for the most part.

The graphics/technology in the PS3 is slightly above the XBOX's and I prefer the PS3's joysticks...but these statements differ person to person.

Hans
04-30-2009, 12:21 PM
I would be getting a PS3 just for the fact that it can play Blue Ray discs. A Blue Ray disc player is half the cost of the PS3.
To me it's a big selling point.

Iverson3k
04-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Mostly its exclusives now...
PS3- Yes we have a blu-ray player... But after a year your warranty runs out... Check how many people have a drive that dies due to an update. And Sony will charge a good amount to replace it.
Xbox 360- Yes we have the E74 code which is covered for 3 years... And the 3 red lights which is covered for 3 years... It does happen somewhat often as Im on my 5th system... But I still go with 360.

Games are more exclusive to a system. Xbox has Halo, Gears of War, exclusive downloadable content.
Xbox online system I find is better. Yes your paying for it. But there is a reason you are. Connection quality in game.
PS3 has blu ray of course... And MGS4. Little Big Planet.
Xbox has better graphics with a 512 card compared to 256...
People will probably argue but Im a 360 fanboy. So their opinion can lick my ass.

rmkryan
05-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Is the gaming picture quality not better with the PS3 due to the face they can be played in HD?

Iverson3k
05-01-2009, 11:21 AM
They both play in HD

Iverson3k
05-01-2009, 11:23 AM
In some multiplatform games... PS3 has to usually lower its standards... AKA 680P
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

rmkryan
05-01-2009, 12:20 PM
ok... most of that stuff in that link went over my head. Care to decifer?

Hans
05-01-2009, 12:25 PM
I am assuming this is about hardware scaling?

rmkryan
05-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Huh? Obviously I'm not as in touch with this stuff as I thought...

Hans
05-01-2009, 01:13 PM
It's basically a method to match the resolution of your tv to the resolution of your xbox or PS3.
There's a few ways of doing it.
It can be used to increase, or decrease the resolution.
What he was saying is that the PS3 in some games needs to scale it down, run in a lower resolution then it is capable.
So it has to lower it standards.
I am assuming that has to do with the company making the game and porting it from XboX to PS3.

rmkryan
05-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Sooo... not all games are in a HD format? I'm confused now... Why would they need to run a lower resolution?

Ultra54
05-01-2009, 02:48 PM
I have both and the PS3 wins hands down. Don't believe the 360 fan boys grasping at straws regarding this phantom drive issue. Fact, the 360 is garbage other than a few titles that are unfortunately exclusive. You can surf the net on the PS3, you can use it almost like a computer, and best of all, you have the hands down best blueray player you can buy, never mind the cost. Again, the 360 is crap and you will be sending it away several times before you throw it out. Oh ya, I upgraded the hard drive to 500 gig on the PS3, try that on the 360. Oh ya, fan and the drive sound like a 747 taking off on the 360 so be ready to turn up the tv or move it into another area, a cool area cuz you can fry an egg on it....lol.

rmkryan
05-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Ok, but I hearh that Microsoft has exteneded there warranty on there systems by three yeras because of that issue and that Sony has had problems with the blu ray drive and it's onlt covered for a year, after that you have to pay 200-400 bucks to ge it fixed...

B.David
05-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Owning both, here's my thoughts...

Playstation 3 Pros
-reliable hardware, at least much more than the 360
-blu-ray playback
-DVD playback
-Built-in wireless and ethernet port
-Supports standard 2.5 HDD for easy-upgrades
-will operate as a full media center
-PlayStation Network Access (FREE)
-Clean and smooth running dashboard
-Bluetooth Support
-Great exclusives (Killzone 2, MGS 4, Little Big Planet, Valkyria Chronicles+more!)
-Awesome PSN games as low as $2.99 (Linger in the Shadows, Battlefield 1943, Super Stardust HD, etc.)
-Supports USB thumb drives for photos, save files, videos, etc.
-Sony does pay shipping to have system sent in for warranty repair

PlayStation 3 Cons
-Expensive Initial Purchase
-Online System Less Robust than 360, but slowly improving
-Lacks demos of PSN/PS1 Games (whereas XBLA offers a demo for almost EVERY game)
-Sony technical support sucks

Xbox 360 Pros
-Excellent Online System w/Voice chat, Marketplace, video rentals, etc.
-Massive game library
-Great exclusives (Gears of War, Lost Odyssey, Rainbow Six Vegas, Viva Pinata+more!)
-Available in well-priced bundles
-Media Center capability

Xbox 360 Cons
-System reliability... or lack thereof
-Xbox Live Annual Fee ($50-$60)
-NO built-in wireless ($100 for adapter)
-Proprietary HDD and official drives are extremely overpriced.
-Accessories are all very overpriced
-Microsoft Points and download content (Xbox games, Arcade games) are inflated in price
-Requires memory card ($30-$50) if saving stuff to put on new HDD)
-Microsoft technical support sucks
-Microsoft no longer pays shipping to get console to them, even under the 3yr 3RLOD/E74 Error

Although I'd previously gone with the 360 as my choice, the recent influx of great PSN games alone would push me to go with the PlayStation 3 as my top choice. I'm not afraid of waking up and having it not turn on every day.

rmkryan
05-01-2009, 03:19 PM
ok... thanks! What is PSN though? Is it easy to upgrade the hard drives in either system?

B.David
05-01-2009, 03:29 PM
ok... thanks! What is PSN though? Is it easy to upgrade the hard drives in either system?

PlayStation Network (the Sony online system). It's built-in to the main dashboard, and sign-up is free, unlike Xbox Live. It offers Blu-ray & movie trailers, Playstation 1 titles (somewhat lacking, but apparently MGS, Final Fantasy 7, and other big titles are coming soon), game demos, extra content for disc-based and download games, and some other neat extras.

The Xbox Hard Drive... Easy to upgrade. Pull the clip on the side, lift it off, put the new one on. the 120GB drive costs $159.99 plus tax. It gives you 96GB of usable space if I remember correctly. Unless you're coming from a 20GB drive (which aren't even in stores anymore, you will REQUIRE a memory card to transfer over save files, and anything else you don't want to re-download).

The PS3 Hard Drive... Fairly easy. If you can undo a few screws, pull out one drive, and put in another, that's all it takes. You can get a 320GB drive for around $90 from multiple online retailers. You can use any USB thumb drive to save gamesaves, and anything else.

rmkryan
05-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Sounds like the PS3 has more flexibility. DOes anyone know if you're playing a sports game, such as Madden or NHL, if you can download new rosters and what not?

Hans
05-01-2009, 04:04 PM
I never understood why a HD has to cost 159.99 for an XboX, since it is a standard HD and is not exclusively made for the XboX.
That and the fact that they still have no blue ray capabilities on the XboX.

rmkryan
05-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Sounds like I'm better off with a PS3. Thanks guys! :)

B.David
05-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Sounds like the PS3 has more flexibility. DOes anyone know if you're playing a sports game, such as Madden or NHL, if you can download new rosters and what not?

Depends on the game, and the developer... nothing to do with the system. :)

filthy
05-02-2009, 09:34 AM
PS3 for sure

The only way your gonna get a decent XBOX that "likely" won't break down is to buy the Elite.

Whoever said the the PS3 has worse graphics then the XBOX is an idiot...

geohound
05-02-2009, 11:23 AM
nope...elites red ring as well.went through two of them.

filthy
05-02-2009, 03:42 PM
I didn't say never, I said likely. I have and elite and have played rock band on it for hours many times...It's more rare for an elite to crap out on someone then another model.

B.David
05-02-2009, 04:02 PM
I didn't say never, I said likely. I have and elite and have played rock band on it for hours many times...It's more rare for an elite to crap out on someone then another model.

Wrong. Elites have been sitting on warehouse shelves for months, and they still run the older chipsets and lack cooling quality of the new models. The more reliable 360's are the 60GB consoles, as they run the Jasper 65-nm graphics chip, and they offer the 150W PSU as opposed to the standard 175W PSU.

It's not immune to problems though, but it's 'less' likely.

sereenie
05-02-2009, 08:45 PM
PS3 kicks butt!!

Jst4u
05-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Every person I know that has a PS3 has had to send theirs back to be fixed, as well.

Personally, I prefer the 360. I know it's not anywhere near perfect, but I do like the graphics better on the games that I've seen/played on both. I also find the online players on PS3 are horrible compared to the live competition on the 360 lol

B.David
05-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Every person I know that has a PS3 has had to send theirs back to be fixed, as well.

Personally, I prefer the 360. I know it's not anywhere near perfect, but I do like the graphics better on the games that I've seen/played on both. I also find the online players on PS3 are horrible compared to the live competition on the 360 lol

There is definitely a larger online community with the 360, however it's more annoying as well. Since a cheap wired microphone is packaged with pretty much every 360, every annoying kid has the ability to speak... or more often, yell, *****, and whine over the Live network. While the PS3 uses Bluetooth, and mics were only included with Warhawk & SOCOM: Confrontation, there are less of them out there. To buy the standalone Sony Bluetooth microphone, you'll need $40 or more, so there's considerably less children that can talk.

You must not know many people with a PS3 though, if every one has been sent back. I have around 20 local friends here that have PS3's, and only 1 has had an issue... and it was self-inflicted when his son decided to jam a disc in the tray, when one was already in it. :)

I'm on my 2nd 360 - as the first one started to have very frequent disc read errors about 10 months into it's lifespan. I sold it before it died, and bought the 60GB model back in September. So far, so good... outside of lag from the 'New Xbox Experience', it's fine.

rmkryan
05-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Still sounds like PS3 is the way to go, no?

B.David
05-03-2009, 12:42 PM
As great as the 360 is, I'd go with the PS3 still. The 360 exclusives for '09 are quite weak compared to the PS3 as well.

rmkryan
05-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Someone have a PS3 they want to trade for subs and an amp?