PDA

View Full Version : hospital and birth question..

Giggle Squirt
05-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Ok so having some random baby conversations, some stuff was brought up.. if you have a lower tattoo on your back they won't give you an epi.. well ihave never had to deal with this in my past two births but what if something happens and i need to have a section.. will they knock me right out??? also... i was told that they now make you take out all your piercings and contacts when you go in and your in labour.. well i have quite a few piercings and was never asked to take them out before and some in remote locations might close up quickly... i am totally stressing.... and if i have to take out my contacts then i won't be able to see my baby unless they put her like 6 inches from my face...

Carolyn
05-03-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm not sure about the tattoo but I have heard the same thing about not allowing an epi but as for contacts I never had to take mine out, the nurses never even asked..nor did I have to take out my piercings.

Sophie's_Mommy
05-03-2009, 10:32 AM
my moms best friends daughter just had a baby boy and she has a lower tattoo and she was able to have a epidural..

Giggle Squirt
05-03-2009, 12:26 PM
I have never had an epi before and don't want one, but i do understand that in emergency cases i mihgt need one... And my concern is that they have to stick the needle throught the tattoo then it is a no go, but it is pretty low and i don't think they will.. is their anyone who can tell me the aprox placement so i can not worry so much???

bluekrissyspikes
05-03-2009, 01:36 PM
if you have a lower tattoo on your back they won't give you an epi..it depends where it is. mine is fairly low too and it was not in the way. even if it is higher up as long as there is a space with no ink they can use they will.
i was told that they now make you take out all your piercings and contacts when you go in and your in labour.. no, they don't. well in november they didn't. maybe if your peircing is 'down there' because it might be in the way. mine all stayed in

Giggle Squirt
05-03-2009, 03:39 PM
ok i was never asked to remove them before... and i will check with my doc on my next appointment to see if my tattoo is too high.. like when i am wearing jeans, you can see just a little bit of it sticking out. I tried to google epidural placement but nothing really usefull... the photos look like they might be higher then it but it is hard to tell... what do they do if covers the spot?

Carolyn
05-03-2009, 04:22 PM
I think if the tattoo covers the spot they won't do the epi because of ink possibly getting into the spine. If I remember correctly when I had my epi it was about where the bottom of your ribs were followed around to the back. It was higher up than I thought it would be.

Sophie's_Mommy
05-03-2009, 04:25 PM
maybe it depends on the anesthesiologist then because the girl i know had her daughter in 3 weeks ago and had a epi and has a lower tattoo...
the placement they do it is not at the lower back but just a little bit under the middle of your back, it does not really hurt its a pinch at first and a little burning then it goes away

Giggle Squirt
05-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the information. if it is under the ribs area my tattoo will clear it by a long shot. I don't plan on having an epi. i plan on another natural birth (yes call me crazy) but i like to be prepaired for an emergency situation... and i never had to think about this tattoo thing before and i sure didn't think of "oh what if i have to have an epi " when i got it done. thanks for relieving some of my anxiety and stress.. now if only i can convice my hubby to let me have a home birth.. *sigh*

chase_me
05-04-2009, 05:08 PM
i just had my fourth natural birth, i am crazy too, but the epi goes higher in the back i think. i did not have to take out my piercings and i heard the girl next to me have to take her contacts out for her emergency c-section

rmkryan
05-04-2009, 10:17 PM
well i had a conversation with my doc today and because of my scoliosis they probably won't be able to place it properly. From what i understand it is between the L3, L4, L5 vetebra... oh well.. no longer need to worry about that...

bluekrissyspikes
05-05-2009, 01:02 AM
aww...you have scoliosis, poor thing! my mom has that too. back when she was a kid they used to do surgery to correct it and she is always in pain because of it(the surgery, i think)

Giggle Squirt
05-05-2009, 10:41 PM
ya, it was never brought up in any of my previous births because they were all natural, so yep... now i konw... i never had surgery just braces...I hated going in and getting my legs and hips measured because once the corrected the s curve my one leg which was originally shorter because of it went longer..... ya also becuse my spine curves in alot around the lumbar area hyper lordosis it makes me look like i am 8 months prego right away...

bluekrissyspikes
05-05-2009, 11:16 PM
i only had an epi on my second birth and it actually made it harder, and it seemed a lot worse than my other two. my baby is six months old now and i still look like i'm about six or seven months prego...lol. when are you due?

Giggle Squirt
05-06-2009, 08:29 AM
I am due in october... now. With my first birth i wanted one bad, but form start of contractions to delivery it was 2 hours and 15 min and they didn't have time, and well thinking back it wasn't all that bad, so i had my second one natural as well. it was only 2.5 hours of labour. the nuse checked me and i was only 4 and she told me she would come back in an hour to chek me and well he was born 30 min later... Yep i got called very dirty names.... SO if this one is anything like my last one it should just fall out...

bluekrissyspikes
05-06-2009, 09:04 AM
lol....that's cool. i thought my last was fast, he took about 3 1/2 hours. i decided to wait till it 'hurt' to go to the hospital and almost didn't make it there. my others were 5 hours for my first and 16 for the one i got the epi for. i'm pretty sure if i hadn't gotten it things would have went much faster and the pushing part would have been less painful cause my tolerance would have went up. a good breathing coach is better than an epi, i think, anyways. october is still a long way off but time flies. i can't beleive my littlest is already six months old.

Sophie's_Mommy
05-06-2009, 11:20 AM
they say epi makes labour longer..

Carolyn
05-06-2009, 11:41 AM
I had an epi with my last one and when the nurse helped me back on the bed my water broke and my daughter was born about 10 minutes later so the epi didn't really have time to start working.

Giggle Squirt
05-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Haha my hunny is an amazing coah. He listened so well to me! During my last labour he sat in the corner in the chair reading a magazine drinking a coffee because i dind't want him talking to me or touching me. He was trying to rub my legs and constantly asking me if i wanted a cold face cloth and i was about to hurt him LOL... I have read a bunch of articles that have stated that labours with an epi do last longer, but i have also read that in some cases they have prevented a c section by allowing the mother to relax and the baby progress down. I really like the idea of having the baby then jumping in the shower. Thanks for all the information. I have never really thought much about any of this till that random conversation. the thought of having to get an epi or the thoughts of having a section never really entered my mind till this one now.

Jst4u
05-07-2009, 10:35 AM
I had an epi with my daughter. I tried not to. The thought of the needle in the spine is disgusting to me lol I was induced in the morning, in the early evening I started having contractions and was 5cm. They got sooo bad over the next 3 hours and I had still not progressed from 5cm. I decided to go for the epi because it was becoming unbearable. Half hour to an hour later I started pushing and she was born after about 10 minutes of pushing.

I was fully capable of moving my legs and everything and did have a shower right after. I just couldn't feel any pain at all.

Sophie's_Mommy
05-07-2009, 12:24 PM
I really like the idea of having the baby then jumping in the shower. having a section never really

i had a epidural and after i had my daughter i was able to jump right into the shower, wit the help of my hubby cause i was sore..lol..so much blood, god i could not believe it. I know this is going to be TMI but after i gave birth for the next month after when i would go pee it would come out and you know who you can stop in the middle using muscles, well i could not control it and could not stop my pee half way threw, now im back to normal but im guessing it has to do with the muscles being weak...i got scared and told my mom cause i thought i was going to be like that forever and maybe pee myself..lol.nut thank god im normal now..lol.

Sophie's_Mommy
05-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I had an epi with my daughter. I tried not to. The thought of the needle in the spine is disgusting to me lol I was induced in the morning, in the early evening I started having contractions and was 5cm. They got sooo bad over the next 3 hours and I had still not progressed from 5cm. I decided to go for the epi because it was becoming unbearable. Half hour to an hour later I started pushing and she was born after about 10 minutes of pushing.

I was fully capable of moving my legs and everything and did have a shower right after. I just couldn't feel any pain at all.

i know what you mean, i had to be induced cause she was a week late, they started at 8 am broke my water at 1 pm, i did not want a epi, but about 4 45 it was so bad and painful i was shaking i had to get it. I could not bear the pain...had my epi at 4 45 and i was 3 cm dilated, at 7 30 pm i was fully dilated, i started to pus at 8 pm and she was born at 9 52 pm...and when it came to the pushing i felt it, they stopped my epi. The only part that hurt the most was her shoulders coming out. But between that and the contractions, i d have to say the contractions hurt the most. But as soon as she was out its like i forgot all about the pain i just went threw, the pain was gone and forgotten..

Sophie's_Mommy
05-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I really like the idea of having the baby then jumping in the shower. having a section never really

i had a epidural and after i had my daughter i was able to jump right into the shower, wit the help of my hubby cause i was sore..lol..so much blood, god i could not believe it. I know this is going to be TMI but after i gave birth for the next month after when i would go pee it would come out and you know who you can stop in the middle using muscles, well i could not control it and could not stop my pee half way threw, now im back to normal but im guessing it has to do with the muscles being weak...i got scared and told my mom cause i thought i was going to be like that forever and maybe pee myself..lol.nut thank god im normal now..lol.

Jst4u
05-07-2009, 12:32 PM
See, I felt absolutely no pain...but I could feel her head, shoulders, etc. When she was half out and they were doing the sucking thing to her nose and mouth, I could feel her still kicking her legs around in my stomach lol It was so weird.

For me, though, the epi took all of the pain away, but not the feeling. I dunno. Hard to explain. And I had full functional movement of my legs the entire time. It was like someone just switched off my pain receptors lol

Carolyn
05-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Jst4u I know exactly what you are describing...that is how I felt. I could move my legs and everything just the pain of the contractions were gone....

Sophie's_Mommy
05-07-2009, 01:44 PM
wow, i could not feel my legs at all, i would try to move then and irt felt like i was trying to lift 1000 pounds..lol..i would try to roll over and i needed help, its a weird feeling, i could not feel anythign from the waist down..just trying to move my legs was weird and hard..lol.

Misschix
05-08-2009, 08:01 AM
With all three of my children, I held off getting an epi until the 20th hr of labour on all 3
Because I was not dialating cause I was trying so hard to deal with the pain on my own,
All my labours were over 20 hrs....sucked big time...

Giggle Squirt
05-08-2009, 03:59 PM
20 hours???? OMG i would of stopped at one...

Punkin
05-16-2009, 11:26 AM
giggle.. are you for sure having a c-section or anticipate the need for epi meds? If you're not planning on having an epidural but need to have an emergency c-section (with no previous epi started) they give you a spinal.. it is different than an epidural? Could that make a difference with the tattoo? My #4 I laboured for a good 5-6 hours and the baby moved (head on my hip) so I had an emergency c-section which I was given a spinal (only used the gas before lol).

Sophie's_Mommy
05-16-2009, 11:34 AM
a epi and a spinal are both in your back with a needle so why would they be able to gove u a epi with a tattoo and not with a spinal?

Sophie's_Mommy
05-16-2009, 11:44 AM
i had a epi and i wanted to see how they did it and i found this video on youtube...omg is all i have to say, i think if i would of seen this video before i had it done i would not of, it looks scary..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WRccCADReY

Jackie B
05-16-2009, 12:01 PM
20? Ugh! My longest labour was 11 hours (in which I had an epidural up to my eyebrows, lol), and the other 3 labours were about 2 hours each. My last baby I had at home in the bathtub (on purpose). It was the best experience I ever had. My water broke at 3:06am, it felt like a big thick balloon popping inside of me, followed by instant pain, pressure, and 3 minute contractions. At 5:08am, he was in my arms.