PDA

View Full Version : How Many PPL Running Vista SP2 RTM?

Madmax
05-03-2009, 12:30 PM
I have installed RTM Vista Sp2 64-bit today and all is well so far RTM = Return To Manufacturer for production and is complete to be sent out to consumers soon.

\m/ Rich \m/
05-03-2009, 12:50 PM
actually - RTM = release to manufacturing

havent checked it out yet tho.

Upper Decker
05-03-2009, 01:07 PM
any differences between the copy you have and the plain jane copy ive got?

Strife
05-03-2009, 01:50 PM
I didnt notice a huge difference with SP1 when I installed it. I use custom visual styles and I dont think there is a hack for SP2 yet. I will wait before upgrading.

Hans
05-03-2009, 02:41 PM
I wait until official release. Would not want to get stuck in endless loops like the last time.

Madmax
05-03-2009, 09:51 PM
So far I don't see or notice any difference over SP1.
I never looked into what they supposed to have changed.

Its not like SP1 was Hans where we all had issues with older
Usb units not working, but I have not tried my newer SP1 compatible
Usb unit.

And yes RTM stands for release to manufacturer, but I like my saying better... :)

The RTM release is usually 99.99 percent copy of what the official one will be.

tired-n-cranky
05-03-2009, 10:35 PM
The RTM release is usually 99.99 percent copy of what the official one will be.

Actually, once gone RTM aka Gold, there are no more changes. RTM is 100% the official one.

Koss
05-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Why not just download the Win 7 RC candidate tomorrow.

Strife
05-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Why not just download the Win 7 RC candidate tomorrow.

I am debating wiping out my factory restore partition and installing Windows 7 on it. Is there much difference from Vista to Win 7?

Hans
05-04-2009, 08:15 PM
I think at this point in time you would be better off with Vista instead of Win7, as Win7 is an RC and as such will come with issues and unfinished features. That and it's a timed RC, meaning it will stop working after a certain date.

Strife
05-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Well I hope they dont completely give up on Vista. From what I have experienced, Vista is solid as it is. I have yet to run into any errors and from the push of the power button to complete usability takes about 90 seconds. I am running a laptop with 3 GB of RAM and an Intel Pentium R Dual core @ 2 GHz. From what I have read online, Windows 7 has greatly improved file transfers and overall speed.

Madmax
05-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Win 7 RC like hans stated is still a infant stage. I would wait for a RTM release instead.
Win 7 from what I know is way faster in many ways over vista and xp. I will be waiting for the RTM
Release to maybe try it out on my rig.

No doubt my 4.2 E8600 and 4GB ram and raid 0 setup will be even sweeter on win 7 as I run Vista 64 bit with SP2
and she is fast.

Koss
05-05-2009, 09:17 AM
I've been using 7 Beta as my main OS since January with very few problems (almost none), and I upgraded to the RC last night (yes, you can do it depsite Microsft saying it has to be a fresh install). So far so good. I like it way better than Vista.

Hans
05-05-2009, 01:17 PM
See the other thread for a free RC that does not expire for the next 12 months.

Koss
05-05-2009, 03:52 PM
doesn't expire until June 2010, but your system will shut down after two hours of use effective March 2010. Kinda of a motivator to purchase a retail version sooner than later.

By the way, the RC is running even smoother than the Beta release. I can't believe that I'm actually excited about a Microsoft product!

Hans
05-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Since we are currently May 2009, I would say it's a good reason not to buy a retail yet.

Strife
05-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Well considering that Windows 7 has to be installed on a 20 GB or better HD, my restore partition wont be suitable. Its just shy of 10 GB

Madmax
05-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Actually it is 15 GB mininum like vista is.
I have a copy of the win 7 RC 64-BIT, but I have not tried it yet.
I may do so in the next day or so as I wish to see how much faster it really is on my raid 0, 2 x 640 GB setup.

Hans
05-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Well, what you could do, if you are willing to take a calculated risk, is backup the restore partition, extend it to 30 Gb, install RC7.
When finished you put the image back and put the partitions back to their original size.

You should be ok when doing it that way but if it goes wrong don't blame it on me, lol.

Strife
05-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Well the restore partition I could care less about. Its the fact of extending a partition that bothers me. Even if Windows 7 doesnt work out for me, I could always wipe the partition and use it for storage.

Max....Actually from the Windows 7 website, its 16 GB for 32-bit and 20 GB for 64-bit

Hans
05-05-2009, 11:17 PM
You could split the existing one also, if that sounds less dangerous to you.

Strife
05-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Well the existing one I have other than the 10 GB is Vista which is my main OS.

Madmax
05-07-2009, 02:27 PM
I still have not tried windows 7 yet as i have not been able to get a few free hours yet to do so.

I may try it soon though and give my impressions of it on my rig.

Yes your correct Canadian13 it is 16gb minimum need not 15gb.

\m/ Rich \m/
05-07-2009, 02:40 PM
hey max, get your msn virus taken care of pls, it keeps bombarding me with msg's.

Madmax
05-07-2009, 07:47 PM
I took care of it last week.

By the way i formatted an hour ago and have windows 7 64-bit installed.

That msn virus came from a clan member of mine which he download some content and screwed me and others with that virus, but it is a very harmless virus. I used Avast to get rid of it on Vista 64-bit.

So all should be fine now Rich.

Killswitch
05-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Been running Win 7 64 bit here for the last 3 days. I like it so far.

Hans
05-07-2009, 10:42 PM
I assume it uses the same boot loader as Vista? Anyone happen to know if it has the default of updating the boot block on all HD's it can find, or just on the one that is used to install the OS?

Madmax
05-07-2009, 11:50 PM
The boot block from what I can tell gets updated on all partitions like vista. Same boot style loader as vista.

So far it is about 10 percent quicker on bootup which is about 15 to 20 seconds faster to bootup then vista even
with SP2 on vista.

Remember my build is a E8600 at 4.2 ghz, 2 x 640gb HD's, 4gb DDR2, 1 x HD4850.

All drivers installed by OS no after install needed thusfar.

Took about 20 min to install from cd in tray to desktop.

So far I must state that it has some keen features that vista does not have, which I must say will take time to get used to.

I will post more tomorrow when I on PC and not on my mobile device... :)

Madmax
05-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Well back on PC this morn for a bit.

So far i like: Win 7 64-bit as opposed to 64-bit Vista w/SP2

1. I like the new task bar peek tabs which are significantly larger then vista has. Basically if you click on the Explorer icon in task bar it will pop up a tab that shows what pages/tabs you have open in IE, but in box style size of about 2" x 2" as opposed to Vistas thumb tab style popup of IE pages you have open.

It also gives you the advantage of using AERO PEEK on these tabs, meaning if you hover over any tab it will PEEK on that tab to allow you to see the entire page with out you actually clicking on the pop's image.

2. The search feature is faster then Vista even without Indexing it searches quicker (how must quicker you ask) well lets just say about 5% quicker, meaning no more syaing to yourself or out loud ("FKING HURRY UP". :)

With indexing it is unbelieveably SIGNIFICANTLY faster then Vistas searching,. Remember the search featue in Win 7 is an updated search engine then what Vista has and it is the same type of searching, but MS have finally cleared the fatness in Vistas search features in Win 7.

3. Internet explorer 8 is faster in win 7 then in vista. I was using IE 8 for the past week on Vista and it is faster then IE 7, but in Win 7 it is even faster.

4. Win 7 64 had installed all Device drivers for all my stuff right form the get go. In Vista 64 i needed to install some drivers still just to have some devices to work at full potential. This does not mean that i will not update to newer Manufacturers Drivers if i so desire the need to do so.

5. No more Vista Side Bar, but instead you still have the option to add gadgets in a floatng TAB style where you want to put them. They will first apear to the right of your screen like they would be in Vista, but you don't see any VISTA BAR, instead is so transparent you see nothing but the gadget. Again you can grab it with your mouse and move them to where you prefer. In vista YES you can Undock them as well, but taht DANG sidebar was a pain in the arse to see for me.

---------

What i don't like so far, but not a BIG ISSUE to me:

1. The icon for show desktop in the task bar is no longer in the icon area to the left of the task bar, but instead it is a SMALL horizontal tab beside the TIME and DATE again no big issue, but time to get used to where it is now.

2. There is no more CLASSIC STYLE for your desktp icons to be placed like in XP would be and in Vista it had that option which i like. NOW hangon before you scream loud, you still have the properties TAB for the Icons to be MANUALLY placed on the desktop. :)

3. Again no CLASSIC STYLE mode for the Control Panel, but instead it does give you 3 options to choose from, category listing, large icons, small icons. I prefer the Large Icons view as then you can see what is all in the Control Panel and with decent size Icons exspecially on my 24" Wide Screen.

---------------------

So far i like Win 7 and its layout, it is indeed faster then Vista in many areas and i am sure in more areas then i have examined.

I have not tested ANY GAMES yet, nor any External HD or i must say any External Devices yet, USB thumb drive and camera and so forth..... I will Get to that when i have time and post back.

OR

If anyone else has some input please post away.

filthy
05-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Running dual boot Vista/ Win7.
So far so good

Hans
05-10-2009, 03:01 AM
Dang, uses the same annoying boot method as Vista. Going to have to slap it around a bit to get it to work. Really wish they would go back to a normal boot method.

Hans
05-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Second problem : no drivers for my DGE530 NIC.

Madmax
05-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Well i tried to use DVDfab Platinum latest version on this Win 7 64-bit and it would install and all that, but when i tried to backup some movies i made 4-6 coasters. Vista 64 bit did samething when in RC mode or beta.

So i figured it was a driver issue with the SATA burner i am using LG Sata Burner, just like Vista 64 bit had issue with when it was in beta mode.

Now the thing is I JUST WENT BACK TO VISTA 64-Bit w/sp2 and still the latest version would not copy my backup disks.... hmmm

So i said Screw It and am now using my trusty Magic Iso program as i like it better and it has never failed me yet.

Yes i go rid of Win 7 64-bit for now and i must say it was GOOD, like it, but i need to make sure i can do all that i want still right now and now that i tested Visat 64 bit for over a year... :) i will be staying with it for now until win 7 is actually released.

filthy
05-10-2009, 11:37 PM
So i said Screw It and am now using my trusty Magic Iso program as i like it better and it has never failed me yet.

Why not use it right off the hop?

Yes i go rid of Win 7 64-bit for now.

Why not just install Vista alongside 7 in dual boot?

Madmax
05-11-2009, 08:55 AM
I was thinking of a dual boot, but i have 4 partitions all which have a lot of stuff on them and no backup HD that is large enough for all that stuff to go on.

I forgot about magic ISO while i was using Win 7, but i do recall an issue with magic iso on vista 64-bit beta. So i can never say that it would not work in Win 7, but it may have not of either.

In the near furture i may get me a couple of spare drives (small drives sataII 80GB or 120GB) and raid them in raid 0 mode so i can test stuff like this win 7 and so forth. This way i will be able to test fully for my needs which is a raid 0 setup and not just one drive setup as i want speed.

Hans
05-11-2009, 09:47 PM
I am still working on the boot problem. This would be OS #5 on that PC, and it's a headache due to the boot manager used by Microsoft.

Kaynine
06-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Noticed an improvement on Vista 32bit Home Premium and Vista 64bit Ultimate Premium. After installing SP2 RTM. Noticed a slight speed improvement.

Upper Decker
06-29-2009, 09:51 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

Ive been running this since Dec 08 when it originally got leaked. So far this is a top notch OS. Even going to buy my upgrade copy in the next few days.