PDA

View Full Version : child growth question.

Giggle Squirt
05-10-2009, 07:33 PM
SO between 15 and 18 months my son has not grown in height (still 31 inches tall) and has only gained 12 oz. His head grew in circumfrance. Now with the amount of food my son eats I am really suprised that he only gained 12 oz. (he is still 22 pounds 12 oz). He was 8 weeks early so he is a good size for his age. I am not to concerned about it and neither is my doctor, but is it normal for a kid to go that long with out growing? My oldest had always had some growth in both weight and height. Seriously with the amount my youngest eats everyone thought he would of packed on about 5 pounds. They are both really extreamly active so i don't know how much that has to do with the weight part of it... The nice part is i have not had to go and buy him any clothes LOl becuse he hasn't grown out of anything!

Amaranth
05-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Out of all of my kids, my son was the one who had the least growth spurts. He is ten now but he is the one we have hardly ever had to buy clothes for and when he DOES need clothes he needs a new wardrobe lol. He eats a lot but he is skinny because he is in a lot of sports. In January he suddenly went from size 8 to size 10 and we had to buy him ALL new clothes. Some kids are like that. When they grow, they do it all at once!

Carolyn
05-10-2009, 08:00 PM
I just took my 18 month old to the doctors on Monday and she is still the same height as she was in December. She is now 23 lbs. I think all children just grows at differing times.

bluekrissyspikes
05-10-2009, 09:32 PM
sure, he's just between growth spurts right now. i wish my kids were little like that. they grow so fast. my 6 month old is already 21 lbs.

Giggle Squirt
05-10-2009, 09:54 PM
hmm good to know that i should be up for a new baby wardrobe soon. My 6 year old wears a size 8 on the bottom for length but wears a size 5 in shirts... but will fit in the waste of a size 5. I have to constantly take his pants in. THe baby has been in a 12-18 month clothing since around november. and between november to feb only gained 1 pound. He eats like you would not belive though, constantly has food in his mouth and if your eating he wants that too. They both eat really healthy too. Like said i am not overly worried about it but i have never experienced a kid not growing for that period of time.

Krysta
05-11-2009, 01:45 AM
My kids are little.
My 9 year old soon to be 10 in a few months wears only size 6 clothes. Approx 40 pounds.
Very small and danty but eats very well.
She has been tested at sick kids when she was younger for her growth and they said she is healthy but small. I wouldn't worry too much until your doctors tell you to worry.
My daughters growth slowed down at 6 months but is starting too kick off now.
Last year she was still in size 4, so 2 sizes in a year is a record for her.
My 12 year old is in size 8 pants. some kids are just smaller then others.
As long as they are eating healthy and visiting their doctor regulary I wouldn't worry too much.

Jst4u
05-11-2009, 06:10 AM
I have a 25lbs 2 year old lol She was 8lbs 8oz at birth, so a decent size...yet from about 2 months - 12 months, wore the same pyjamas. And right now, she fits anywhere from 12-18 month size clothes up to size 3. I have been buying size 2 and 3 because I know if I buy a little bigger, it will last her at least a year.

Her size has never been a concern for me or her doctor. Other parents and some family have put it in my head there's something wrong because their kids were gigantic and weighed like 30lbs at a year old and stuff. But who cares? She's healthy lol She's just at the lower end of "normal".

Oh yeah, and she eats like a bottomless pit. Seriously...2 bowls of cereal and a piece of peanut butter toast for breakfast, 1/2 box of KD or equivalent size of anything for lunch and she can polish off a whole chicken breast/pork chop/steak plus sides for dinner. Not to mention eating constantly in between...crackers, rice cakes, dry cereal, yogurt...and she also drinks non-stop.

chase_me
05-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Maddisyn will be 2 in August and weighs 22 lbs, she is just a petite girl nothing wrong with her, she is in size 12-18 mth clothes although i have been having to buy more 18-24 lately for the length and thanking my lucky stars i cloth diaper so her pants stay on lol

Sophie's_Mommy
05-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Sophie is 10 and a half months, she weighs 23 pound( weight was taken about a month ago) so she may be more now. She is 2 feet six inches tall..she wears 18-24 month clothes. The doctor said she is healthy and is the 15 percentile weight and height for her age, so she is bigger them most 10 month olds.. but she is not over weight. her weigh is perfect fro her height..i never realized i had a big 10 month old till i saw everyones elses kids age and height and weight..lol.she was only 8 pound 2 ozs at birrth and 27 inches. she has long feet. She had a big head too but has grown into it..lol..i still cant get over the fact she fits into 24 month old clothes perfect..lol..
But every baby is diffrent, and just cause they weigh less or are shorter ect..they are just as healthy. Some kids can eat like a horse and not gain a oz and some kids can eat normally and gain all thisw weight..
Sophei does not over eat
she has 5 tblsp of pablum for b.f
1 jar fruit 1 jar veggie for lunch
a rice cracker baby mum snack ib the afternoon
and at supper she has 1 jar fruit or custard and 1 jar of veggies with meat in it and a lil ones yogurt made by dairy land. expensive friggan yogurt but its made for her age so i buy and some a oz of juice..
and she has various bottles during the day so she drinks about 16 -20 ozs of formula a day..

the jar veggies and veggie with meats she eats are still either beginner or 3 month. i tried to get her to eat the chunkier food for her age and she refuses too, she gags and hates the texture..lol.
she ll have bites of my food at supper or lunch, as long as its not somethign she can choke on...

mags
05-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Even though your son gained only 12 oz and didn't grow any taller. His head increased in circumference this is good. Do not worry, kids grow at different rates

Giggle Squirt
05-11-2009, 10:23 PM
even today i was at the obgyn and their was a girl their who was 10 months old and was like twice the size of my son. He eats like a champ. He usually has 2 scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast, then crackers and banana and milk then lunch will be whatever like a sandwich, or a bowl of pasta and if i hapen to eat anything he will eat half of it, granola bar, crackers, cheese some juice, yogurt nap then supper will eat about the same amout at my 6 year old like usually half a chicken breast, a med potato and then dessert. He always has food in his mouth which is why i am so suprised that he has only gained 12 oz.

Jst4u
05-12-2009, 04:53 AM
Giggle, my 2 year old is one of the oldest and the smallest in her gymnastics class. She's also the same size as Sophie's Mommy's 10 1/2 month old lol And I posted how much she eats lol They all grow differently. Maybe his growth is going into his brain development instead of his body right now? That's what I tell people about my daughter lol She's freakin smart as a whip...she's just starting with understandable conversation, but MAN is she ever a fast learner and friggin smart! Always has been. So just use my excuse if anyone comments about how small he is ;)

mags
05-12-2009, 05:29 AM
He is happy, healthy and active very important. He is growing at his own rate, that is normal for him.
The growth chart does have a wide range that your boy would fall into. He is okay!