PDA

View Full Version : Walking Trails?

Jackie B
05-12-2009, 11:50 PM
I would like to do a lot of walking this summer with my kids, and am wondering if there are any other interesting places we can go besides Fort Creek and Hiawatha. I plan to go there as well, but am looking for some new places to try. My kids are 9, 7, 5, and 2, but I can get a sitter for the 2 year old if the trails aren't suitable for little ones.

GoldDogs
05-13-2009, 12:35 AM
The locks and area, whatever the name of that island is. Its a good walk, but more civilized? Can't think of a better word... not as bushy. lol.

There aren't too many places besides those that I know of. I'm curious too. If you get out of town ever you should visit the bat caves near Desbarats

Jackie B
05-13-2009, 12:57 AM
I would love that! I'm looking for anything along that line! Can I find into on the bat caves online?

jeffmfoto
05-13-2009, 09:48 AM
All you gotta do is search...

http://www.soonet.ca/showthread.php?t=18029&highlight=caves

GoldDogs
05-14-2009, 12:16 AM
I can give you directions to the bat caves up to where you go off the road at which point I am sure I could have a map or something drawn out. I've been there once, but my mom lives in the area.

jeffmfoto
05-14-2009, 04:14 AM
there are directions at that link, i used them and it took me right to them.

intuit
05-16-2009, 02:46 PM
I'll post the directions again:

The Desbarats Caves are a unique geological formation as there are found in the Canadian Shield Rock, not the limestone or sandstone formation that most caves are found in. They can be accessed by taking the Government Road west of the community of Desbarats and turning onto Puddingstone road for 3 km until you hit Cave Road, follow it to the gravel pit were you park. The trail is right there follow it to the first fork take the left branch over the little bridge than hike 3km to the next major fork take the left branch and than follow the foot path to the rock rubble area. Climb over this rubble heading into the cliff, the cave is at the top of this formation. There is a second shallow cave further along the path that is easier to take pictures at. I wish I new how to upload pics for all to enjoy its a nice hike 1 1/2 hrs....bring a good flash light. you can 4 wheel up to the last 100 yards

enjoy

GoldDogs
05-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Oh! Nevermind then lol

kitca
05-20-2009, 07:13 PM
ive been wracking my brains and i cant come up with anything. there is the goulais bluffs, but i dont think id bring younger children up there because you really are at the edge of a high cliff with nothing to hold you back.

the whitefish island trail is nice, i can do that over and over and always enjoy it.

there are some voyegeur trails, but i dont think id want to go out there with younger kids, also the skidoo/4wheeler trails - there are some crazy dirt bikers or 4wheelers that go so fast and not expecting to see hikers.

there are hikes up in pancake or superior parks, but i think that is too far away, i think you are thinking of closer.

Jackie B
05-21-2009, 01:28 AM
Is there something around Algoma University? I thought I read something about some dog trails or something, not too sure.

Jackie B
05-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Well, I took my two older kids on the hike to the bat caves this afternoon. Too bad we couldn't actually find them. :( We found one spot that was a rock face that went in a bit, but by the time we got there, it was more of an indentation of the rock face. With the advice to bring flashlights, I was expecting more of a cave cave. LOL We probably just missed it.

We had fun anyway. We saw a massive turtle, probably close to 18" from head to tail, found frog eggs and tadpoles in this jelly goo stuff, saw lots of frogs/toads, gawked at the mennonites (my 7 year old called them Midianites LOL), and my oldest lost her first baby molar.

kitca
05-25-2009, 09:44 PM
wow, that sounds like a reallynice day you had. seeing the turtles and tadpoles and stuff is so interesting.

too bad you didnt find the cave. you must have missed it because you can go into it about 20-30 feet or so and definatly need a flashlite after the first 10 feet in. how long did it take you to hike up there?

Jackie B
05-25-2009, 10:48 PM
We left the van at 1:30 and were back at 4, so 2 1/2 hours, but it was an hour drive there, and an hour back. We also would have explored more had we actually found the cave. If I do it again, I plan to leave around 10am and make a day of it instead of pulling out of town at 12:30.

GoldDogs
05-25-2009, 11:59 PM
That sucks that you didn't find them! Like Kitca said, it is definitely a cave. You know cause you have to step in and as soon as you are in the shade you feel like you stepped into a fridge.

It isn't THAT Cold but when I went it was a really hot day, so going from the hot sun into the dark cave was a shock.

You do have to climb up a very very rocky hill to get to the cave. Maybe you didn't notice it? I am sure you'll find it next time and it sounds like you had a blast anyway. You've got lucky kids!

Jackie B
05-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Aw...I'm so disappointed that we went all that way and didn't find it. I'm hoping to try again in th next week or two, and give ourselves more time to find it. Once you've went up the rock rubble path, is it on the side with the cliff at the left, the one you walk beside going up the path, or is it more to the right where there's the big rock face and the vegetation stops, and there becomes nothing but giant boulders?

GoldDogs
05-26-2009, 11:59 AM
As far as I can remember, there is nothing but giant boulders that you have to climb up. But this was a few years back. I am planning to go this summer some time.

intuit
05-27-2009, 08:54 AM
You were so close, you have to climb up those giant rocks to the mouth of the cave, where it will desend (gradual) approximately 50 ft and plain out for another 30 or 40 ft. This hike is not suitable for small children as some of these boulders are the size of a van. its on the right. you can also try wishart park ( off of 4th line) and try red rock ( Maki road). Red rock is very nice, there is a trial leading from red rock to gros cap, ( approx 7 hr hike one way)...very scenic, right next to the shore line. You can also go in behind prince lake and walk the paths the used to construct the windmills.

Have fun, enjoy

Jackie B
05-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Aw...what a bummer. My kids wanted to climb over the boulders, and I said no, because I was just there with myself and 7 and 9 year olds and when I looked back toward the path, I couldn't see it anymore and was nervous to go any further away from the trail.

I am planning to go back this Friday, weather permitting. We'll just make sure we bring good grippy running shoes, and leave earlier this time.

Thanks for the new suggestions intuit! I will deffinitely try those out as well.

I am wondering about a path I saw yesterday. After you pass Finn Hill heading east, and pass Black Road, just past those giant cylindrical storage containers, there were a couple of visible trails. I'm not sure if they are really short or what, but was curious about them.

intuit
05-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Your welcome Jackie B,

I think your talking about the staging area for snowmobiles, they use that area in the winter to head out. That will lead you to 3rd line, but if you cross 3rd line (heading west) there is another path that will take you to the root river. ( when I was a kid, I used to swim there). Its not very long of a walk/hike though. Don't forget to bring a good flashlight to the bat caves.

intuit
06-03-2009, 12:51 PM
well Jackie B, did you have a chance to make it back to the caves or was the weather not cooperating.

verotik66
08-30-2009, 05:45 PM
there is a series of trails off of baseline north of airport road, as you drive north on baseline it is on the left, they aren't well maintained but you can roll a stroller through as long as you dont mind having to dodge the occasional fallen tree, there is a sign which is easy to miss, and a small driveway to park in or park on the road.

http://www.ssmrca.ca/Section.aspx?ID=75

indian ridge trail

blessings
09-09-2009, 01:46 AM
Try the Hub Trail from the Finn Hill parking lot @ Black Road & McNabb up to the east end of Northern Avenue. It's a nice paved winding path up through the hardwood bush behind Pawating Place. Stay alert for bikers and those speedy dudes on fridge rollers :-) Approx. 50 minutes round trip on foot (steep at the Northern Avenue end)

Xzavia
09-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Jackie...I`d be careful around the staging area on MacNabb and on or around 4th line as well, we were driving on 4th line the other night and there was one huge bear on the side of the road there. Bigger than most we`ve seen.

And as for the staging area, that`s pretty much just behind us and we`ve had trouble with coyotes and wolves around here that come from that area.

Barry Morris
09-27-2009, 11:36 PM
there is a series of trails off of baseline north of airport road, as you drive north on baseline it is on the left, they aren't well maintained but you can roll a stroller through as long as you dont mind having to dodge the occasional fallen tree, there is a sign which is easy to miss, and a small driveway to park in or park on the road.

http://www.ssmrca.ca/Section.aspx?ID=75

indian ridge trail

FYI, Baseline runs east and west, Airport Road north and south.

Xzavia
09-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Just a heads up...yesterday morning we had 4 big wolves in our yard early when Hubby went out to go to work. They headed for the field behind us that leads to the staging area and Manitou Park.

Hubby said he's never seen wolves this big before, bigger than the average Timber Wolf we usually see around here. And they were travelling in pack.

NewCasa
11-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Does anyone have any contact information for the Voyageur Hiking group? I'm not sure I've even got the name right. I know there is (or at least was until several months ago) a group made up of people from both Saults who went out on regular hikes together, both on the Voyageur trail and in other areas, other trails. Any info on this group would be helpful.

Thanks!

$Spendbender$
11-20-2009, 11:51 AM
http://www.voyageurtrail.ca/saulteaux.html

Somewhere on that site is the information you need to purchase a membership if you chose to. You get (among other things) a book with maps of all the area trails.

I think it's like ($35/year?)

NewCasa
11-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Aha! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

minime
12-25-2010, 08:06 AM
The VTA guide book does not come with a membership but it is discounted to members presenting a membership card. The most reliable source is Joe's Sports on Queen Street. The maps are colored and have a reasonably good description of access points etc. The entire network of trails is also available to buy as a download for Garmin GPS units.

As an avid hiker I want to say you are giving your children a lifetime love/interest that they'll return to again and again no matter where they land on the planet. Good for you!