PDA

View Full Version : Question about women getting fixed...

CANDY_74
05-13-2009, 02:32 PM
How old can you be?

What are the pros and cons of it?

Any info would be great...any websites to look at to

Thank you

breeder
05-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Call the vet for more info...:wink: :tongue:

Giggle Squirt
05-13-2009, 04:03 PM
I just had this discussion with my doctor. anyone over the age of 18 can legally get it done but some docs want you to have a few kids but it is not necesary. about 4 weeks after i give birth they will go in and to it through the scope. (laparoscopy)
make a little incision on either side of my stomach and go in through the tubes and snip!!! in and out the same day. they do put you under a general for this. http://www.healthsquare.com/mc/fgmc0287.htm

CANDY_74
05-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Call the vet for more info...:wink: :tongue:

lol...I couldn't remember the proper word...sorry

CANDY_74
05-13-2009, 07:20 PM
ok Im 34 and have 3 kids..lol..Im done!

Im on Depo provera but find that I get headaches,and also have BIG TIME mood swings.

Ive also gained weight since being on the Depo and as soon as I go off of it I can lose the weight again.

I just want to know the pros and cons.
And also how long of a recovery is it etc etc any info from someone whos gone through this would be great!

Thank you

CANDY_74
05-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Also is it best to get the tubes cut,tied, burned etc??

Melanie Booker
05-13-2009, 07:31 PM
pretty sure they just clamp now-a-days

MaO3
05-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Why not get him to go instead?

Much easier and a lot less chance of complications later if he does it instead of you.

Just throwing that out there.

CANDY_74
05-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Why not get him to go instead?

Much easier and a lot less chance of complications later if he does it instead of you.

Just throwing that out there.

because hes said in the past that he'd never get 'fixed'

CANDY_74
05-13-2009, 07:46 PM
now since I have problems when I do have my period (I don't get one now because Im on Depo), what other options do I have?!

Problems such as headaches, mood swings, HEAVY flow, tiredness etc....

Giggle Squirt
05-13-2009, 07:52 PM
They perfer to cut. clamps come loose and have a higher failure rate.. I am getting mine done instead of my hunny because i am a controll freak and i am worried about the doc not doing him right and if i basically can't be their to supervise the doc and make sure he does it right. So if i get it done then at least i know i trust my doctor and that i am in contorll of everything (birth controll wise) .. even though i know either way that their are failure risks involved.

MaO3
05-13-2009, 07:54 PM
You may find that after having your tubes tied that your periods will be worse.
A few of my friends found that. You might discuss what side effects you might experience - considering you already have issues with your periods.

I was lucky, after I had our third my husband went for a vasectomy. It was a good thing, because I was not a candidate for a tubal, with all my problems. Funny thing is less than 3 years later I had a hysterectomy at 29.

CANDY_74
05-13-2009, 07:58 PM
so what other options might I have then?

I don't want to have MORE problems with my periods!!!

And he has 2 kids from previous relationships and doesn't want anymore and like I said above Ive had 3 and am done

Juggs
05-13-2009, 08:02 PM
why would you talk about your periods on here? I had my dog fixed and her aunt flow never visits!

MaO3
05-13-2009, 08:03 PM
There are so few options for women.

I dont' know what other options there are, I guess it would depend on how severe your issues are I guess.

I had so much trouble with my "girl stuff" that my doctor was the one who suggested that my husband have it done instead of me.
Three years later, there were no options left for me but to have a hysterectomy. That was the best thing I ever did - for ME!! Of course its not a surgery thats done lightly or just because.

CANDY_74
05-13-2009, 08:03 PM
why would you talk about your periods on here? I had my dog fixed and her aunt flow never visits!

haha...funny

If you don't have any info or advice then please don't post...Thank you

CANDY_74
05-13-2009, 08:07 PM
There are so few options for women.

I dont' know what other options there are, I guess it would depend on how severe your issues are I guess.

I had so much trouble with my "girl stuff" that my doctor was the one who suggested that my husband have it done instead of me.
Three years later, there were no options left for me but to have a hysterectomy. That was the best thing I ever did - for ME!! Of course its not a surgery thats done lightly or just because.

I haven't actually ever 'talked' to him about getting the surgery but Ive heard him say that he would never get it done ever....

I also don't have a Doctor I go to the health unit for what I need, and I find the nurses there usually want me to get the pill or the other thing that goes inside (I can't remember what its called...looks like a T)

MaO3
05-13-2009, 08:10 PM
IUD. I have no experience with those, but maybe some of the others could give you some insight into those. Apparently theres a new one out thats very helpful to some women. Its called Merida, I think.

I had my surgery 15 years ago so I'm sure that there have been a lot of advancements

CANDY_74
05-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Im just worried about the IUD slipping etc....I'll go online and check into it though....

Thank you and Im gonna go offline now but will check tomorrow to see if anyone else has any other info or advice etc...

Luv'inLife
05-13-2009, 08:25 PM
I was "fixed" after my 4th baby, I had it done while I was still at the hospital alitlle bigger incision was no biggie to me, I had bad irregular periods for 1 year and then the straightened out, there is no problem with weight gane because it doesn't affect your hormones, at the time I was 27 and my husband and I agreed 4 kids was enough but he also was not going to let anyone near his parts with anything sharp, it was the best thing at the time. At about 38 I was sorry I had done it...thats a hormone thing that the doctor says happens, but I know I would have had 1 more, just to be able to slow down and have more time for...so that is my list of pro's and the cons. With the problems you are having they may want to do it anyways.

Giggle Squirt
05-13-2009, 08:38 PM
my latest pregnancy is the result of an iud slipping... i had it in for almost a year and it did. i went to hell and back worrying weather or not i would loose the baby after they took it out and went to the hospital to basically have the doctor tell me their is nothing they can do and either wait it out and all the possible birth defects because the minera iud i had in releases hormones... so if you can mentally and emotionally deal with that then just be prepaired. it dosn't happen all the time but it can and after researching it i have found out that it happends more then they like to say. That is why i have decided that three kids is all i have wanted, and instead of playing rusian roulet with the pill or depo or the idu i would just get the tubes snipped.

Upper Decker
05-14-2009, 03:11 AM
They perfer to cut. clamps come loose and have a higher failure rate.. I am getting mine done instead of my hunny because i am a controll freak and i am worried about the doc not doing him right and if i basically can't be their to supervise the doc and make sure he does it right. So if i get it done then at least i know i trust my doctor and that i am in contorll of everything (birth controll wise) .. even though i know either way that their are failure risks involved.

Just curious where did you get this ridculous information from? After 6 years my wife hasnt gotten knocked up yet from the clamps and i get her every chance i get (which is quite often). And where did you get a medical degree from that gives you the authority to supervise a vasectomy, let alone the apparent expertise to make sure its done right?

Giggle Squirt
05-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Um actually last month I talked with my doc about it and she was the one who told me that the clamps have a higher chance of slipping and that she would perfer to cut. I never said i had a medical degree I was just trying to make a point.

CANDY_74
05-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Whoever sent me the PM...I didnt get it for some reason..I received something saying I had a PM but theres nothing there

Can you please re-send me the PM with the info or send me an email to gords_lovekisses@hotmail.com

Thank you

Melanie Booker
05-14-2009, 10:21 AM
from my understanding when you are clamped the fal tube is crushed and scar tissue forms and that is what blocks the tube. even if teh clamp comes loose the tube will be damaged and like sealed shut and not allow the egg to pass thru

if you do consider and IUD be very consciencious about it! i know a woman who recently DIED because the IUD was left in her too long and she got a horrible infection..sepsis (sp?) it was left in a year longer than it should have been.

Sophie's_Mommy
05-14-2009, 12:24 PM
my cousin never ever wants kids so she had her tubes done when she was 25...some docs told her to wait but she said no and wanted it done so they did it...
when it comes to cut and clamping, there are always pros and cons and everyone thinks one or the other does not work..cut is the best though and that was told to me from my gyno when i asked about getting my tubes tied...and what i smell polka dots said about scar tissue that is true, she also told me that sometimes after years of having them clamped that when they go to reverse it there is scar tissue and can make it difficult to ever produce again...they can be shut permanently cause the tissue closes and grows..

i personally want hubby to be done cause its easier and faster but he does not want to he thinks he ll be less of a man..even though i told him over and over he wont, he still says he does not want anyone cutting his balls open..lol...i told him to bad for his luck. If i have to go threw 10 months of being pregnant, go threw 8 hours of labour and push a baby out he can damn well suck it up and get his balls cut, least they will be numb and he wont feel anythign, unlike birth...
I also know a man who is 65 now but when he was 59 he got his 22 year old gf pregnant, even though he was fixed, she has a baby girl then 2 yrs later got pregnant with twin boys...but maybe back in the 60s they did nto fix men right?..lol.

Sophie's_Mommy
05-14-2009, 12:27 PM
from my understanding when you are clamped the fal tube is crushed and scar tissue forms and that is what blocks the tube. even if teh clamp comes loose the tube will be damaged and like sealed shut and not allow the egg to pass thru

if you do consider and IUD be very consciencious about it! i know a woman who recently DIED because the IUD was left in her too long and she got a horrible infection..sepsis (sp?) it was left in a year longer than it should have been.

i will never get a iud, i have heard to many horror story from people i know, one girl i know had to have surgery cause her iud somehow got pushed up and stuck under her rib cage..bt if she would not of had that happen she would not of known she has cancer and had to have a complete hysterectomy, she was only 23 but she already had 4 kids so she was ok there..lol..
my cousins sister in law had to be hospitalized for almost a month due to a infection from her iud and she almost died and she was only 27 yrs old,.

MaO3
05-14-2009, 12:34 PM
After his vasectomy my husband used to say that he was like a sunkissed orange - all juice no seeds, or that he'd traded in the family model for the sports model.

Its two very small incisions - one or two stiches each for a man, they get either a twilight or local anistesia (sp) and walk out of the hosptial an hour later.

I'm totally against messing with a womans "girl stuff" we're far to complicated

everywoman
05-15-2009, 01:30 AM
I agree Ma03. My husband didn't even hesitate to have it done. He didn't think it was necessary for me to go through surgery, when all he had to do was get two little snips! Much much easier, and thoughtful as well. I think men get a little too freaked out about their "junk". Like what? WE enjoy getting poked and prodded and cut open?

Sophie's_Mommy
05-15-2009, 10:22 AM
i know, i ve had this argument with my husband..lol.. i hope to hell hes just joking and will get it done, half the time i don't whether hes joking or telling the truth about sthings..lol
my father had it done and was home withing 2 hours. he only thing that sucked for him was the fact that their dog gets excited when they come home and he jumped up on him for a hug and nailed him with his paws right where he just had surgery..lol.oh was he mad and in pain, he struggled up the stairs to his room to lay down..lol.

Jackie B
05-15-2009, 10:38 AM
I had my tubes tied in February. I personally couldn't use an IUD because it doesn't stop conception, it just stops implantation. If there had have been ANY other option for me that didn't potentially end a pregnancy or have a high failure rate, I would have done it. There just isn't any other options.

I chose to get done instead of my husband. It's easier for him, but on the off chance that I regret it and want a reversal, the woman's reversal is much more successful than a man's. After about 3 years, if a reversal is done, the man's body attacks the sperm as a foreign object, and the chances of success are less that 20%.

someguy
05-15-2009, 02:00 PM
i know, i ve had this argument with my husband and my mother has argued with him too..lol..

Like do you seriously have no pride at all what so ever? Do you and your mother share him or something?
I have never hit a woman in my life but had I been married to you and you talked to your mother about my nuts, I would knock you out. From a lot of your posts I can see that a lot of the decisions you make are run through your mother and in my opinion it is totally wrong. A little shame and common sense should be used here!

Why would you ever talk to your mother and let her know about your husband/boyfriend whatever he is and a vasectomy. I think that is a personal decision between two people and your mother should keep her trap shut and her business out of your man's crotch!

bluekrissyspikes
05-15-2009, 02:55 PM
i know, i ve had this argument with my husband and my mother has argued with him too..lol..

HIS mom might be more successful. with my man, every time he asked for 'some' i said "did you get your vasectomy yet?" that worked :wink:

bluekrissyspikes
05-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Like do you seriously have no pride at all what so ever? Do you and your mother share him or something?
I have never hit a woman in my life but had I been married to you and you talked to your mother about my nuts, I would knock you out. From a lot of your posts I can see that a lot of the decisions you make are run through your mother and in my opinion it is totally wrong. A little shame and common sense should be used here!

Why would you ever talk to your mother and let her know about your husband/boyfriend whatever he is and a vasectomy. I think that is a personal decision between two people and your mother should keep her trap shut and her business out of your man's crotch!

unless you are a woman or a gyno you probably don't need to be posting on a thread about women's issues. women talk to their mothers about all kinds of stuff, including periods and birth control. it's not a big deal.

Jackie B
05-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Oh, also, when I had mine Dr. Hergott said they only clamp now, atleast that's all he does, anyway.

someguy
05-15-2009, 04:09 PM
unless you are a woman or a gyno you probably don't need to be posting on a thread about women's issues. women talk to their mothers about all kinds of stuff, including periods and birth control. it's not a big deal.

Talk to your mother about your period and birth control all you want as that is not the issue here. You start talking to you mom about my crotch then we have issues!`

bluekrissyspikes
05-15-2009, 04:16 PM
a vasectomy is birth control, i'm sure she was not discribing his crotch to her or talking about it's size or anything but more about the procedure itself.

mags
05-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Talking about a vasectomy is not discussing your crotch it is a medical procedure.
Talking about knocking a woman out.... shows what sort of human you are. Real men do not knock woman out or talk about how they could do it a woman.

Sophie's_Mommy
05-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Talking about a vasectomy is not discussing your crotch it is a medical procedure.
Talking about knocking a woman out.... shows what sort of human you are. Real men do not knock woman out or talk about how they could do it a woman.

well said and i could not agree more, a real man does not talk that way about a women

Karmael
05-15-2009, 11:45 PM
I had my tubes tied about a month after my son was born. They usually recommend that you have it done immediately after birth that way you don't feel the cramping and since your body is already cleaning itself out after birth you don't notice anything different.

It's a day procedure (1/2 day if I remember) I went in first thing in the am and was out shortly after lunch.

I've had no problems since I had it done and my son is now 11.

Best thing I ever did. Once you know that you don't want to have kids anymore, I say go for it.

My ex didn't want to get "snipped" he cringed at the very thought lol....

CANDY_74
05-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Ok people please stay on topic!!

SOMEGUY if you've got nothing nice to say or any info for me then stay out of my thread please & thank you!!!!

Punkin
05-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I had an emergency C-section with my 4th baby so I had my tubes Cut (& as doc said .. an inch & burned) right after the baby was out :) That is a best case scenario I guess lol... but it was standing agreement that hubby would get it done, unless of c-section.. so he lucked out.. I haven't had ANY problems with monthlies except I now go 7 days instead of 5.. I wouldnt want them clamped.. I think I'd die if #5 came along lol.. but there is always that story with guy having V & women getting clamped.. and their next child came along :)

Sophie's_Mommy
05-16-2009, 12:33 PM
when the women gets fixed so they do it threw the ****** or do they have to cut you open?

Jackie B
05-16-2009, 01:05 PM
They go in through the abdomen. I had a half inch incision in my belly button, and one just slightly above the hairline. The pain from the incisions never hurt, but the uterine contractions after the surgery from it being manipulated were brutal, and the effects of the anaesthetic were sickening. I had my surgery on a Friday afternoon, and felt pretty good by Sunday night. I was set back almost a week for recovery though, when my 2 year old jumped right on the spot Monday morning while I was still sleeping. :(

Giggle Squirt
05-16-2009, 11:39 PM
when the women gets fixed so they do it threw the ****** or do they have to cut you open?

I was reading on line and thier is procedure where they insert like a thin metal spring type thig. into the tubes through the ******. I think it is called a tubal implant.

here is a website.

http://www.health.com/health/library/mdp/0,,zm6066,00.html

I have seen some advertisments for the essure tubal implant but i have never seen it in canada. I don't know if this is an option in canada. I have not done that much research on it but i think it would be a good option. Less invasive then getting an incision in you stomach area. A few different sites said it is an inoffice procedure. I guess i will ask about this at my next appointment.

someguy
05-16-2009, 11:52 PM
excuse me? the was a reason you were banned i believe, do u know what goes on in my life? are you at my parents house while we are all having conversations? what makes you think i brought it up, maybe we were all having a conversation and my hubby said to me my mom and my dad, well i dont want my balls cut and we all were joking and taking about it..so before you go putting me down and thinking you knwo what the hell you are talking about, bite your tongue..i know you want so bad to put me down and try to think you know what happens in my life but you have the slightest clue....i dont need to explain myself or what me and my hubby and my family talk about, but my hubby brought it up while we were having a conversation with my parents about it, my dad had it done and he was explaining to him it was not that bad..gheez you can be stupid at times you know that.
I try my best to hold my tongue when it comes to dealing with morons on here but this takes the cake cause once again theres some idiot on soonet who thinks he knows whats going on in others lives when he does not know anything at all...
and so what if i go to my mom for advice? shes my mother, my life should not concern you ...

As I posted to you in the other thread being banned before had NOTHING to do with you at all. Sorry to break it to you buttercup!

I responded as I did because if you will remember this is what you posted then went and edited;
Originally Posted by Sophie's_Mommy View Post

This is a bulletin board! People are free to respond as they see fit. If you want to come on here and air all your dirty laundry and the fact that you associate/d with all the low life and dirt bags in the Sault then I will respond to you as I see fit. So don't be spouting of at me that I mind your business when you come on here daily talking about what you do in your personal life. I will respond to you and anyone else as i see fit.

Also for your information you are not a mod or administrator and you have no say in banning me or infractions against me.

Jst4u
05-17-2009, 08:53 AM
OMG So her hubby and mother have a good enough relationship to discuss vasectomies. WHO CARES? lol

You should hear some of the things my boyfriend and mom talk about. It's incredibly embarrassing for me...but I don't feel threatened, upset or weirded out. I'm glad they like each other enough to discuss those things comfortably.

Sophie's Mommy...just do like I told you before lol Ignore these people. They don't know you or what goes on in your life. Don't let some random person on Soonet get to you. It seems they live to irritate people lol

And sorry for going off topic...

icecapp
05-19-2009, 11:31 AM
I will say one thing, Pros are mine failed, I got a beautiful child out of the deal that was wanted and loved, Cons I had it done twice and my husband went once, In my honest opionion, I would do it 10 times over then having my husband doing it once.

Sophie's_Mommy
05-19-2009, 12:20 PM
im not being rude but why would you want it doen before your husband?..lol.i heard it was easier and less painful for the man then the women?

icecapp
05-19-2009, 12:36 PM
not being rude, I had one done, before he was done, as that was my choice and it failed, I delivered a baby 1.5 yrs later, I had it done again this time they took my tubes, and my husband went same time to make sure as we new we Definitely wanted no more p.s My tubal failed, and while I was in the hospital, the lady delivering beside me her husbands vasectomy failed.. so we figured if we were both done it would be better off...

and well seeing how I healed to how my husband healed and Post problems he had after, as well as his healing time, I would do it 10 times over to him doing it, had I of knowen then what I know now I would of never asked him to do it.. thats JMO.

MaO3
05-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Cause men are BABIES!!!!! LOL

icecapp
05-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Ma yes I agree, but Mines not a baby, he had a long healing time, and said it hurt like hell as he was awake for it, just frozen.. I was sleeping for mine both times, and to me thats better.

Sophie's_Mommy
05-19-2009, 12:43 PM
i guess everyone is diffrent, most guys are completely fine after having it done and one in a blue moon will have as problem, its like that with any operation whether its a man or a women.. But i think is a lot easier for the man to be done but thats my opinion. We are not going to make that decision yet, we want to try to have another baby after our daughter turns one, we want her to have a sibling...but after our next baby we will decide which one of us is going to get fixed..lol.

MaO3
05-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Mines not a baby either. I'm just kidding. My husband had initially told the doc he wanted the twilight, then the morning of the proceedure he said that he'd prefer to just be frozen. I dont' think that the doctor was very happy, he made my husband wait to be the very last one done that day and was anything but gentle with he did the freezing. My husband looked like he was smuggling plumbs - I mean purple plumbs. I felt bad, but he said it looked worse than it was.

Its not a "pleasant" surgery but what is? For us it was the only option, otherwise we'd probably have a whole pile of kids instead of three.