PDA

View Full Version : i thought

MissMuffett
05-14-2009, 08:55 AM
i thought breastfeeding was soo much healthier than formula.. i nurse 4 times a day and once a night.. My daughter just turned 1 and i took her for her needles. She weighs 15.8 pounds.. I was shocked.. She eats pablum, jar food, and some finger foods.. She has gained 2 pounds in 6 months.. I have to put her back in a reverse car seat because she isnt 20 pounds, which i thought she was. I dont eat lots of junk food, so i eat moderately healthy, however i am on anti-depressants, and Iron pills.. I wonder if that is why? man i would feel like crap if im the cause of her being tiny!!! The dr. said that she was progressing fine for her size. Her head and body and weight all seem to be tiny.. She isnt worried.. but as a parent its scary. i put her next to a normal 1 year old and she looks like a doll next to them.. She only has 2 teeth so she cannot chew very well, and she is just starting to walk. She is progressing slower than my son, but the dr said all kids are different.. She is skipping the bottle stage and im putting her right onto a sippy cup.. She is learning to take that, but not very good @ it. Im just a little sad that maybe its something im doing!!

Jst4u
05-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Your Dr is right...they all progress at different rates. My daughter didn't even begin to show an interest in walking until well over a year and wasn't walking on her own until about 17 months. She'll be 2 on Sunday and still isn't quite talking as well as most 2 year olds. Plus she's very small, too. Not as small as yours, but still very tiny.

If your doctor isn't worried and she's physically healthy, don't worry about it. I had a lot of people getting me upset because my daughter wasn't walking/talking/whatever. They go at their own pace...regardless of how much you try to push.

Sweet Little Sister
05-14-2009, 09:41 AM
a mother's guilt is a wonderful thing..lol
don't worry MissMuffet. as long as she's healthy and the Dr is not concerned, you shouldn't be either. nevermind what anybody else says..and try not to compare her to other children..everyone is different and will develop at their own pace..we just have to sit back and let them 'come into their own' so to speak.

*i know a kid who didn't get ANY teeth until he was almost two! and another who was born with teeth! lol don't sweat it..
my oldest didn't walk until she was 13 months..my youngest took off at 9 months..

Carolyn
05-14-2009, 11:13 AM
My daughter didn't get any teeth until she was 15 months old and just recently started walking at 17 months old. Every child develops at a different pace.

Sophie's_Mommy
05-14-2009, 11:14 AM
all children are different, look at mine, shes the size of a 18 month old and she s not even 11 months..lol..i did find that when i started her on formula is when she really started to gain weight..Formula has more fat in it and i find formula babys are bigger then breastfed babys, but that is onyl from those i knwo and see...everyone is different, Im surprised she is a year and only 15 pounds...wow she must just be tiny...aww so cute..i wish mine was smaller, shes so heavy i can t carry her around fro long my arms get sore..lol..she has 6 teeth and one coming in now so 7 i guess and she loves loves loves to bite you ..and she can draw blood when she bites hard enough..lol
do u give your baby formula at all? If not maybe you should try to just maybe 2 bottles a day..they have formula for 1year and older...my daughter is one parents choice 6-18 month formula..you should give it a try..

Sophie's_Mommy
05-14-2009, 11:16 AM
oh ya, when mines ws born i brought her to be weighed once a week on queen street, when she was breast feedinfg she was below weight bit ok and healthy they said and then where she started formula she is now above her age for weight and height. So i dont know, but i do know i was not producing that much milk and i knew it the nurses said that i was but i knew i was not and i stopped and feed her formula and what a change...she started to sleep all night when before she was up every hour..

kitca
05-14-2009, 11:49 AM
everything i have read or hear about breast feeding says how good it is for the baby's and for the mother's health. i havent read a bad thing. helps protect against diseases, cancer... ...

mags
05-14-2009, 12:16 PM
If your Dr isn't worried then everything is fine with your daughter. Kids grow and develop at different rates that fall with the normal range. Some children are smaller than others their age.
I doubt that breast feeding has anything to do with her size. I have seen formula babies who are in the smaller range and breast fed babies who fall into the higher range of normal.
Do not worry she is fine!

Sophie's_Mommy
05-14-2009, 12:28 PM
everything i have read or hear about breast feeding says how good it is for the baby's and for the mother's health. i havent read a bad thing. helps protect against diseases, cancer... ...

me too, i was so upset when i was not producing enough milk, i so wanted to breastfeed her but i just couldn't, it was very depressing, but for the 7 weeks i did it was a great bonding experience with her...but shes healthy and big so thats all that matters now i guess..plus she got her first 2 teeth at 3 and a half months and shes been biting ever since so i would of probably had to have stopped by them or i would have no nipples..lol.

chase_me
05-14-2009, 02:45 PM
You are doing great and giving your baby formula just to get her to gain some weight is not a really good idea unless the doc suggests you do.

I just looked back and at my DD's 12 mth appt she weighd in at 16 lbs and was breastfed from 0-6 mths when my milk supply finally got the best of me and i gave in and then she was formula fed from 6-12 months. She is now 21 months old and only weighs 24 lbs.

MissMuffett
05-14-2009, 06:14 PM
She's my last baby so formula is out of the question unless the dr says. I suffered the first month of nursing so much that I owe it to her and myself to stick it out!!

bluekrissyspikes
05-14-2009, 08:16 PM
breastfeeding is best. i pay more attention to other milestones than size. if she is well proportioned and meeting her developmental milestones then why worry? none of mine tried to walk until passed a year. my oldest never bothered crawling at all and my second didn;t crawl until just before 1 year. my baby is already doing a comando crawl at six months
http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/cht_wfa_girls_p_0_2.pdf
she is on the smallest end of normal but that's probably just part of who she is.

Jackie B
05-14-2009, 10:55 PM
How big was she when she was born? I didn't see it posted...

Sophie's_Mommy
05-15-2009, 09:26 AM
as long as the doctor says your baby is healthy then everything is ok, if the doctor thought there was a problem he would tell you right away,

pickles for sale
06-09-2009, 01:12 PM
MissMuffett--I agree with other posters that if your doctor is not concerned then she may just be petite. Also keep in mind that most of the weight/height charts are based on formula feed babies, and they tend to be larger. A larger baby does not mean healthier....sometimes it means the opposite.
Also, there is no need to add formula to her diet. Breastmilk is still good for her (and the AAP, CPA, INFACT and WHO reccommend breastfeeding until the age of 2 and beyond). It will provide both you and her with alot of health benefits.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!