PDA

View Full Version : pickeral

kitca
05-14-2009, 01:03 PM
where do you go around here for pickeral? my hubby has just taken up fishing and wants to go for pickeral.

AmdWolfman
05-14-2009, 01:06 PM
If you mean walleye, then that species are not the same. Walleye is proper name. A pickeral is a strain of pike.

kitca
05-14-2009, 05:06 PM
yes, i mean walleye that everyone calls pickeral in canada and most americans call walleye.

Betelgeuse
05-14-2009, 05:49 PM
The St. Mary's River has pickerel but they are caught usually in the summer months - July into August. One of the closest lakes to fish for pickerel is up the 38 Road, about a km past Chippewa Falls and then turn right. Get some maps and look for it - there is an upper and lower Tilley Lakes. Lots of lakes East of the Soo contain pickerel but in my opinion, over fished. Heading up Highway 129 will get you into pickerel waters - the farther you drive the better your chances.

Muse
05-14-2009, 05:50 PM
http://www.ssmcoc.com/visitorinfo.php?pageid=53

kitca
05-14-2009, 06:49 PM
thanks. up the 129, thats up to chapleau eh? his family goes every year to ramsey lake up there and get gazillions of them. but its closer for them since theyare fromsudbury, its a long long drive from the soo. anyway, thanks. others have mentioned the tilleys too. thanks.

X-Man
05-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Definitely Chapleau area...its the way to go.

kodak57
05-18-2009, 08:29 AM
echo lake........lots of nice ones there,and close.

gouligann
06-04-2009, 07:41 AM
Does anyone know if there is a lake (with decent fishing) up near Chapleau that you can drive to that rents cabins for a weekend?

gouligann
06-04-2009, 07:45 AM
What about the mercury level (amongst other toxins from the great lakes) of the fish in Echo lake? Would it not be worse than fish from an inland lake?

I'm just wondering if anyone knows, or do you just not worry about it?

EyelashExtensions
06-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Aubrey is good...we caught our limit every time. I will ask my man where else, I know he knows of places closer to the sault. Gordon Lake I think is another place.

I don't worry about mercury, we don't usually eat large fish(from St. Marys). Those are the fish that carry the most mercury(usually). There is mercury in pretty much every lake no matter where it is. It would be more concerning if we were eating fish a few times a week(which sometimes happens, but usually with smaller fish). It can't be any worse to me than eating beef that has been loaded with drugs and whatever other chemicals the cows ate.

Fyre
06-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Lmao thanks for clarifying the whole pickeral/walleye thing for me. You should hear the conversations I have with my Dad back in NY. I truly believe that I have confused the man calling what he knows as a walleye, pickeral, and raving about how good it is. He just keeps saying that pickeral isn't the better than walleye and is full of bones. Now I know!

Kinger
06-17-2009, 08:15 PM
This is a walleye.
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/fishingplanner/images/FishID/Walleye.jpg

This is a pickerel.
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/fisheries/afm/2004/6_05-07auburn_cp.jpg

The only area in the world you will get away with calling a walleye "pickerel" is northern Ontario. You sound like an ignorant fishin' redneck when you call walleye "pickerel". Happy Hunting and Tight Lines!!

kitca
06-19-2009, 09:16 AM
lol, well, this redneck from goulais had never heard of a walleye in 45 years till recently. but pickeral arae really good!

Kinger
06-19-2009, 04:22 PM
There is nothin' wrong with being a redneck. Just doing my part to clear the ignorance :D

EyelashExtensions
06-22-2009, 01:45 PM
We went yesterday, caught our limit plus I got 3 perch and a pike(threw back).

kitca
06-22-2009, 02:33 PM
there is a place on lake windermere near chapleau that had cabbins and boats and gorgeous scenery on the lake. it is called happy trails lodge, its about a 20 mile drive in from the highway. we didnt fish there but from what i hear the fishing is incredible. i dont know what the camps are like either because we tented. the lake is just gorgeous.

gouligann
07-06-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm with you Kitca. I'd rather be called a redneck and call them pickerel like everyone else around these parts, than sound like south of the borderins callin dem fishies waalleyes, thankee.

gouligann
07-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Speaking of "pickerel", has anyone been having any luck up on Aubrey or Rocky Island lake? I heard from two people on two different occasions that it was netted heavily this spring during the spawning season. The nets were right near the spawning beds... Conservation? what conservation?

gouligann
07-06-2009, 01:25 PM
One more question: are there any nice remote campground areas at any lakes up in the Chapleau area? Something you can drive to that's not too rough a road?(lakeside places to park a trailer with no hook-ups or electicity I mean)

kitca
07-06-2009, 04:03 PM
gouligann, you can drive to ramsey lake. its about a 6 hour drive, not paved, but good roads. we took the ranger lake road to (whatever that road is called from thessalon to chapleau) then turned off about 20 miles before chapleau towards biocotating, then turned again for ramsey. there is an area there where folks camp at the side of the lake in the launch area. alot of people haul their tents and stuff to one of the gazillion islands on the lake, but there were a couple trailers set up there. everyone caught their limit of pickerel every day.

gouligann
07-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks Kitca, I'll have to check that out on our map.

AmdWolfman
07-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Does anyone know if there is a lake (with decent fishing) up near Chapleau that you can drive to that rents cabins for a weekend?

Up by towards Folette (sp). excellent walleys up in the rapids,good luck.

greatwhtnrth
09-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Well KINGER, just let me start off, that all over Ontario, and I mean all over, all I have ever heard any real Canadian call them is pickeral. Now being that I was born and raised in the Ottawa Valley, Lived in eastern Ontario, southern Ontario and now northern Ontario, I call them PICKERAL. Oh and by the way I have caught many many Pickeral in my forty some years of fishing.As did my father, his father and his father. I guess for the most part it's because I AM CANADIAN, not american ,and very proud of it and i kind of believe that when in Rome do as the Romans do, don't go to Rome and tell them how they should do it . But alas what's in a name, a rose by any other name is still a rose. But hey if you want to go out sometime I'll fish Pickeral and you can fish walleye and we'll see who does better at the end of the day, I am very very redneck and if need be, especially when rubbing someones nose in it, can be very ignorant. CHEERS

Kinger
10-04-2009, 03:40 PM
It is a walleye, so I call it a walleye. I am sure I've caught more walleye this year than you have in your illustrious 40 years of fishing. Good day.

Babzz
10-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Lots in the elliot lake area kitca.. would be worth the drive :)