PDA

View Full Version : Last pickup truck has rolled off GM assembly line in Oshawa, Ont.

verotik66
05-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Last pickup truck has rolled off GM assembly line in Oshawa, Ont.

By The Canadian Press

OSHAWA, Ont. - The union is calling it a dark day for thousands of autoworkers in Oshawa, Ont., where a GM truck plant is shutting down after 44 years.

Chris Buckley, president of Canadian Auto Workers Local 222, says visiting the plant today was like going to a wake to pay final respects to a loved-one.

He says many workers had tears running down their cheeks as the last pickup truck rolled off the assembly line.

The plant is closing after churning out more than 10 million vehicles since 1965.

Buckley blamed all levels of government for the plant's closure and took specific aim at international trade policies for causing the auto industry to deteriorate.

The last truck will be raffled off to a plant worker and the money will be donated to charity.

IMHO
05-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Workers wanted the world and now they will pay the price. Greed is a devil of a worker who has taken many down over time.

Kinger
05-14-2009, 05:16 PM
General Motors, 12,000 parts in each vehicle, all made by the lowest bidder.
You reap what you sow.

_daynzy
05-15-2009, 07:51 AM
Since it's a GM, they probably had to push it out the doors. Probably wouldnt start.

Lance1
05-15-2009, 11:33 AM
When the competition works for $25 less per hour plus biuld better stuff ,it just a matter of time before the jig is up. The CAW workers got alot of golden eggs,but they knew the hen was going to die one day and that day has come.

fenderbass
05-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Since it's a GM, they probably had to push it out the doors. Probably wouldnt start.

Oh your so funny...I have pushed Dodge's and Ford's in and out of the shop more times then GM's and Toyota's. Everyone like there own Brand. But the strange thing is I see more GM''s and Ford's in this city..Maybe one of the many reasons Dodge corp. Is going Chapter 11.

Jack Butler
05-17-2009, 08:08 AM
In todays business economy, you can survive Chapter 11.
There is no return when you stop production of a brand, so I'm not sure you are any further ahead with that comment.
The fact that you push Dodges and Fords in and out of the shop is a good thing......there will be no more Pontiac to fix.

Barry Morris
05-17-2009, 01:59 PM
I want a t-shirt that says, "I'd rather push a Chev than drive a Ford."

On the back it says, "Heaven knows I've had enough practice!!"

fenderbass
05-17-2009, 04:55 PM
GM dropped Oldsmobile years ago and it didn't hurt the business...Pontiac was also due to be discontinued years ago...So it was no surprise that they were going to do away with that line...

Jack Butler
05-17-2009, 10:13 PM
GM dropped Oldsmobile years ago and it didn't hurt the business...Pontiac was also due to be discontinued years ago...So it was no surprise that they were going to do away with that line...

Ask the Dealership that use to sell Oldsmobile if it didn't hurt!
You're talking about GM, I'm talking about the Dealership.

_daynzy
05-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Oh your so funny...I have pushed Dodge's and Ford's in and out of the shop more times then GM's and Toyota's. Everyone like there own Brand. But the strange thing is I see more GM''s and Ford's in this city..Maybe one of the many reasons Dodge corp. Is going Chapter 11.

wow you're emo, it was a joke mr. personality