PDA

View Full Version : Pancake Question

Jst4u
05-15-2009, 07:28 PM
I want to make pancakes for breakfast but there is absolutely no food in this house and I have very little money to buy anything.

How important are the eggs and milk in making pancakes? Because I have none lol I even have some boxed mix stuff but it needs an egg and milk, too. How horrible would this mix taste if I just used water? lol

I know...stupid question. But I'm hungry!

Jackie B
05-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Easy Substitutes for 1 egg:

2 tablespoons lemon juice + 1 teaspoon baking soda.
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water
2 tablespoons potato starch
2 tablespoons vinegar + 1/4 cup water
1/4 cup mashed potatoes
1/4 cup canned pumpkin or squash
1/4 cup pureed fruit + 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 of a mashed ripe banana + 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 heaping tablespoon soy powder + 2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons cornstarch (good for delicate cakes & cookies.)
2 tablespoons water + 1 tablespoon oil + 2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon soy milk powder + 1 tablespoon cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water
Dissolve 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin in 1 tablespoon cold water, then add 2 tablespoons boiling water. Beat vigorously until frothy.
2 tablespoons arrowroot flour. (Sometimes you may want to add a little extra milk or water or oil to make up for the bulk that you would get with a real egg. Good for pancakes and waffles.)
1 tablespoon vinegar + 1 teaspoon baking soda. (White distilled vinegar or apple cider vinegar can be used.) Works well in cakes, cupcakes and quick breads.

Don't worry about the milk, I don't think it's earth shattering if you use water instead.

Jst4u
05-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks Jackie!!!

Maybe I'll try the banana one and see how good it is in pancakes lol I'm not expecting miracles...but it's better than nothing! And I have a few frozen banana's here.

Tutones
05-17-2009, 05:24 PM
It should work, the egg is simply used as a binding agent. Any of the substitues listed should do the job... with the added benefit of lower cholesterol too!

Jackie B
05-17-2009, 06:19 PM
I thought the egg was what fluffed it, or put the air bubbles in it.

onefortheroad
05-17-2009, 06:23 PM
I want to make pancakes for breakfast but there is absolutely no food in this house and I have very little money to buy anything.

How important are the eggs and milk in making pancakes? Because I have none lol I even have some boxed mix stuff but it needs an egg and milk, too. How horrible would this mix taste if I just used water? lol

I know...stupid question. But I'm hungry!

there are alot of places that can help you to get food. no one should go hungry! If you want to pm me your address I'll bring you a dozen eggs

Jst4u
05-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Well, I'm just not much of an egg eater...that's why I never buy any. They'd go bad before I even ate half of them.

And I do have food lol Just nothing I really like too much. And I'm too lazy to go shopping at the moment.

onefortheroad
05-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Well, I'm just not much of an egg eater...that's why I never buy any. They'd go bad before I even ate half of them.

And I do have food lol Just nothing I really like too much. And I'm too lazy to go shopping at the moment.

ok I was worried because I read before you have a 2 year old? I feel better knowing this!

Jst4u
05-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Yeah she has a ton of food. I'm certainly not rich but I make sure she eats before me. I was just trying to find something to eat, not wanting to eat her stuff. And I wanted pancakes...but didn't have eggs or milk (at the time, I do now)

BTW, I ended up finding pancake mix I only needed water for and there were some frozen banana's in the freezer that I cut up and put on top....they were delicious!!!

onefortheroad
05-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Yeah she has a ton of food. I'm certainly not rich but I make sure she eats before me. I was just trying to find something to eat, not wanting to eat her stuff. And I wanted pancakes...but didn't have eggs or milk (at the time, I do now)

BTW, I ended up finding pancake mix I only needed water for and there were some frozen banana's in the freezer that I cut up and put on top....they were delicious!!!

cool I'm glad your all set!!!:wink:

Jst4u
05-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Thank you for the offer, though :) I appreciate it.

kitty&mimi
05-18-2009, 10:46 AM
i think if u have bisquick u just add water
it's good to have on hand since u can make other things with bisquick
sometimes i get these wicked cravings for pancakes!