PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft, Linux Foundation Both Oppose Software Defect Warranties

Hans
05-19-2009, 10:33 PM
It doesn't happen often, but Microsoft and the Linux Foundation have issued a joint letter voicing their displeasure over the American Law Institute (ALI)'s latest effort to create an implied warranty stating that all shipped software have no material hidden defects.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=15176

I think this would be a good thing, and would weed out those companies who release titles before they are actually ready to be released. It seems a lot of games these days are released in a "not exactly ready yet" state, with patches released after the fact.

Upper Decker
05-21-2009, 12:13 PM
im all for this law. Oct 28th fallout 3 came out, and as of update 1.5 (bout 7 months or so after release) the game finally works for the most part without constant crash to desktop, unexplained lockups and my paid for version finally works!! I have quite a few of my paid for games that are horridly buggy as well, but none as bad as fallout 3 (which im hopelessly addicted to)

Im not sure what beef linux distrubutors have with this law as the EULA clearly states that linux is community supported and not perfect to start with. Also I dont recall too many flavors of commercial linux either, let alone ones plagued with the same issues many windows operating systems had upon launch and even after a service pack.

Calis
05-21-2009, 12:20 PM
It's a toss up up to me mainly because software developers can't test to see how theit software will react with every single hardware configuration, different driver versions of different hardware. I mean the game could come out polished from their point of view, but once it's installed a users machine, many different elements can come into play.

Trust me I am all for having a quality product, but having it 100% bug free I think is virtually impossible.

Hans
05-21-2009, 05:43 PM
I do believe there's a difference between bugs and clearly bugged software. There's several game titles I can think off that clearly were not ready for release and clearly exhibited these performance and other issues on every possible combination of hardware.
I believe that is what this law is trying to accomplish.