PDA

View Full Version : Fiddleheads...Cooking Question

B.David
05-23-2009, 04:08 PM
I remember seeing a thread here somewhat recently regarding these things. Anyway, I was down at the Byward Market this afternoon and found a vendor selling them along with fresh-peeled garlic. Needless to say, I thought back to that thread, and figured I'm try it out.

Now, how long do I boil them for (Add to boiling water or bring to boil with water?) and how long would I fry them with garlic butter afterward?

Thanks! :)

Fyre
05-23-2009, 04:15 PM
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1930,158166-233204,00.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Fiddleheads

Here ya go...

B.David
05-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks, but if anyone has any personal experience, or a suggestion for extra flavor, please tell me as well. :)

Fyre
05-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks, but if anyone has any personal experience, or a suggestion for extra flavor, please tell me as well. :)

Not me, I had to google what a Fiddlehead was and go from there...Lmao

really?
05-23-2009, 05:39 PM
I also bought fiddleheads in the Byward market today. I boil them quickly twice (changing the water in between). I fry up some bacon and set aside. Leave some of the bacon grease in the pan and toss the fiddleheads in it. Crumble up some bacon bits in it too. Yummy.

B.David
05-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Bacon... Good call, I have a pound in the fridge waiting to be opened. Thanks. Probably going to be tomorrow night now, as I remembered I have a spicy chicken sub in the fridge from yesterday!

Bufford
05-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Have enjoyed them for years, I remove any of the brown skins, wash them well, boil in salted water till tender drain add butter salt and pepper then pig out!

kitty&mimi
05-23-2009, 08:59 PM
i bought some today at pino's
sauteed in butter and garlic
pretty good

heintzman
05-23-2009, 10:30 PM
thats how i did them Kitti,,, but next time i think i will take the bacon advice and add it!! sounds good!

really?
05-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Instead of bacon, pancetta and pine nuts are good too - just as good with brussel sprouts or spinach etc... Toast the nuts, brown the pancetta and then toss in the pre-boiled fiddleheads/ brussel sprouts/spinach. Very, very good.

heintzman
05-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Instead of bacon, pancetta and pine nuts are good too - just as good with brussel sprouts or spinach etc... Toast the nuts, brown the pancetta and then toss in the pre-boiled fiddleheads/ brussel sprouts/spinach. Very, very good.

Oh,,, Yummmm,,O~~!!!!

bohd
05-26-2009, 12:43 PM
i steam them until tender, and then i like to add chhez whiz on ton or some other cream cheese...or just saute them in butter with garlic (or leeks )or just butter...good stuff...and now is the time to pick them

really?
04-07-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm getting excited...almost time to feast on fiddleheads!

kitca
04-08-2011, 11:07 AM
oh no, its waaay to early to pick them around here! another month at least.

mmmm, sounds good with the bacon.

HDV
04-08-2011, 11:15 AM
I love fiddle heads. I remember when I was a little kid, my grandparents would take me to blind river to visit relatives. During fiddle head season, we would stop along the side of the Hemingway and go pick some. They are so good.
I boil then till tender, then sautee them in garlic and butter, Yummy..

hobo
04-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Which type of fern do you get the fiddleheads from? Ostrich Ferns? I have a lot of Bracken fern in my area but this type seems to have some possible negagtive impact on the system.

HDV
04-09-2011, 12:17 PM
The fiddleheads of certain ferns are eaten as a cooked leaf vegetable. The most popular of these are:

* Bracken, Pteridium aquilinum, found worldwide
* Ostrich fern, Matteuccia struthiopteris, found in northern regions worldwide, and the central/eastern part of North America
* Cinnamon fern or buckhorn fern, Osmunda cinnamomea, found in the Eastern parts of North America
* Royal fern, Osmunda regalis, found worldwide
* Zenmai or flowering fern, Osmunda japonica, found in East Asia
* Vegetable fern, Athyrium esculentum, found throughout Asia and Oceania

Fiddleheads' ornamental value makes them very expensive in the temperate regions where they are not abundant.

HDV
04-09-2011, 12:19 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddlehead_fern

Heres a link all about fiddleheads', and yes ostrich ferns are a fiddlehead and can be eaten :) do u know what they look like so u know when you can pick them to eat? they have to be somewhat long and curl into a round circle at the top. LOl thats the best i can explain..lol

ssmarie
04-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Pearl Barley Risotto with Fiddleheads, Squash and Walnuts

Ingredients:
50 g fiddleheads, trimmed and blanched
50 g roasted butternut squash, inch dice
50 g pearl barley (cooked to al dente)
15 g roasted walnuts, roughly chopped
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp marscapone cheese
1 tbsp parmasean cheese
1 tsp chives
2 tbsp vegetable stock
tsp sea salt

Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Serve warm.

kitca
05-23-2011, 03:09 PM
i just made a batch for my inlaws here in sudbury. i fried some onion and garlic in oil,then added the washed and dried freshly picked fiddleheads . i stir fried them for about 2-3 minutes then took them off the heat and covered them with the lid. they were delicious!!!!!