PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - DSL providers etc.

Babylon 5
07-06-2007, 10:39 AM
Hi everyone:

I'm presently a Shaw Lite subscriber (don't laugh) who is considering moving up to Shaw Hi-Speed.

However, being an existing customer, Shaw refuses to offer any promotional deals to me, instead advising me I can buy my used modem for 29.95, and pay about $32 mo (plus taxes) for the services.

So....
I've been looking around at providers of DSL, and wondered if anyone had good deals or specials or advice to pass on.

For instance, I ran across this web site that offers 18.95 mo HiSpeed DSL (1 year term..)

http://acanac.ca/more-info.htm

Any advice or comments welcome....

Cruel_Intentions
07-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Personally, I would talk to some people living in your area and see what speeds they are getting with DSL, then call those companies and get a quote. BTW, mention that you are a existing Shaw subscriber and they may offer to knock some off to get you to switch.

Then call up Shaw and tell them that you can get such and such a speed for this amount, and unless they can match it, you'll be switching. Then watch and see how fast they offer you discounts/promotions.

Oh, and they will say things such as "those are advertised speeds, you won't actually get those with DSL, our speeds are better", "during peak hours with that subscriber, your connection will be slow", "You won't achieve that speed with the line quality in your area", etc, etc. That's why you talk to neighbours first to see what they actually experience.

tired-n-cranky
07-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Talking to neighbours wont make a single bit of difference for DSL speeds. Your phone line could be buried a lot longer than theirs, or vice versa.

The absolute best DSL provider I know of is called Tecksavvy. Research them and see for yourself.

And any DSL provider can provide DSL anywhere in Ontario (well nearly, except for Thunderbay).