PDA

View Full Version : Flower questions

Dragonfly
05-28-2009, 03:23 PM
I potted some, pansies, petunias, snap dragons and merrigolds. My boyfriend already wired the pots to the rails of my porch and I would HATE to ask him to take them back down. Will they be ok at night do you think? Or should they be covered with something? If so what do I cover them with?

kitca
05-28-2009, 07:21 PM
just keep your eye on the temperature. it is the frost that will kill them. not the pansies, they are hardy, but the others. you dont want to use a sheet or something that will lay against them because where the sheet touches them they will be nipped by the frost. a cardboard box with heavy rock on top would work. or plastic containers, like yogurt etc. with a rock on top to hold them steady.

Dragonfly
05-28-2009, 08:06 PM
What if I have the wired to a porch so they hang off the sides?

EyelashExtensions
05-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Watering them good helps as well, all my seeds are sprouting and I'm hoping that they aren't killed off by the frost tonight! I've spent about 2 weeks preparing my garden!! Eeek

kitca
05-29-2009, 04:58 PM
frost comes down in a strait line from above. for want of trying to explaining it better. but as long as the top is covered the sides can be open the frost cant sneek sideways. so if you have a cardboard box that hangs over top of the hanging ones it should help.

for watering, what you have to do is go outside and water the frost off the plants before the sun or warmth of the day hits them and it melts. i dont know why it works, but you can save them by watering away the frost.

my lettuce is coming up in my garden, i think im going to put some boxes over it tonite to protect it.

in the olden days they used 'cloches' they looked like bells, and were made of glass. they were for protecting the plants in the garden. my friend collects them.

Luv'inLife
05-29-2009, 05:06 PM
just throw a garbage bag over them for the night

Luv'inLife
05-29-2009, 05:06 PM
or a shopping bag individually

Dragonfly
05-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks Kitca. A shopping bag wouldnt work would it?? The plastic isnt supposed to touch the flowers. If there is a breeze or something and the bag moves it might kill them anyways?? Maybe Im wrong I dont know.

Melanie Booker
05-29-2009, 05:57 PM
poke sticks or something into the dirt to hold teh bag off of the plant

Luv'inLife
05-29-2009, 05:58 PM
I've never had a problem.

Dragonfly
05-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Well I draped a sheet over them last night, looked dumb but it saved them from the frost. Thanks guys. Just so you guys know I went to sears to buy my flowers I spent 25 bucks and got 13 planters out of it :) good deals there

Luv'inLife
05-30-2009, 04:43 PM
thanks for the info.