PDA

View Full Version : head lice

MissMuffett
05-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Why does head lice only get worse in the fall? They have to start somewhere, how? why?

I know how they are transmitted, but i think its weird how people only get them in the fall..

Lollypop
05-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Not true, my daughter went to a sleep over in July, and the mother called me the next day and said to check her head. Sure enough she had brought friends back with her.

Luv'inLife
05-30-2009, 12:28 PM
there is ussually a fresh crop in the fall when the Kootie kids are back in school, but if you or your children frequently hang out with the Kooties(Mr., Mrs., and the little ones), you can get them anytime.

Selina
05-30-2009, 03:12 PM
You can get head lice any time of the year. once again they are going around the school. around me there are about 6 kids that have it out of the 20 in the area. at shoppers there is stuff called rice replant. it works. hair spray helps as well.

Luv'inLife
05-30-2009, 04:44 PM
2 drops of tea tree oil in the shampoo bottle works well and is natural.

Jackie B
05-30-2009, 05:27 PM
My daughter had a friend sleep over last June that had lice, and it took us until mid September to finally be rid of them. One family member got it from our kids, and wasn't treated, and kept passing it back to them, and it took us months to realize what was happening. :(

Just FYI, the over the counter meds only kill 67% of live bugs, and no eggs, which is why you need ot re-treat at 10 days, and it's a carginogen.

If you use essential anise oil, cinnamon oil, or oregano oil, it kills 100% of lice and nits across the board, and won't give you cancer.

MissMuffett
05-30-2009, 08:57 PM
thanx.. i was just curious..

Selina
05-30-2009, 11:46 PM
that good to hear Jackie B my middle child who was 2 at the time had it for 6 month she kept getting back at supervised access it was getting crazy. the doc and algoma helath unit keep telling me to treat her. she was getting so scared to have a bath because the stuff burned her. and yet again head lice is going around. make me so scared i do not want my kids to get it again, we tried the tea tree oil and it did not work so if by chance we get it again i will try some of the other things. it might sound crazy but i was told to try peanunt butter at the very end put it on befor bed cover head nad wash in morning and tht finally got rid of them. i put vasline on my 2 month old and she never got them.

Luv'inLife
05-30-2009, 11:56 PM
good tips

kitca
05-31-2009, 12:19 AM
ours got hers during a summer day camp years ago. had them for months, the only thing that actually worked was me going through her hair and squishing each knit (egg) to make sure it was dead. i only ever found one actual lice or louse, but man, there were alot of knits.

Lollypop
05-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Most of us who have kids have gone thru this, it still grosses me out.
I told my daughter she is more then welcome to live here, until the baby starts daycare then she has to move out. (Joking, er maybe)
I cannot imagine living thru that again.

When my kids were in elementary school, I questioned the school on what they were doing to combat the spread of lice. My son was in SK at the time, carpet, pillows, and throw cushions everywhere. Their response wasen't very helpful.
I had finally threatened to pull my kids out, lice 3x in one year was very stressful and expensive.