PDA

View Full Version : Abortion is wrong: Not about politics

06-03-2009, 01:15 PM
This will stay in the Soapbox.

Abortion is wrong. Today I found out that millions of abortions have happened over the years. Today I would like to hear Soonetters' opinions on abortion. I have to say that last year there WAS an abortion protest in the sault last year in front of the hospital. My opinion is that abortion should be illegal. And this is quite an issue. People should be aware this is happening. People should join PRO-LIFE. Not PRO-CHOICE. Pro-choice is E-V-I-L. I hope Canada's supreme court can do something.

IMHO
06-03-2009, 01:18 PM
I have no right to tell a woman that she MUST carry a baby. I do not like abortion but it is not my business. I would prefer a child be born and put up for adoption but again its up to the woman.

SWRKR 01
06-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Although I am not prepared to enter into a debate here, I have to state I totally disagree with your position, but I respect the fact you have your right to your opinion. I feel that women should have the right to choose. There are several scenarios which could affect the unborn child (a product of rape or extramarial affair, a serious developmental or mental disability etc). Too many to mention.

I feel a child should be brought into this life with love and support. If a mother to be feels this will not be possible, and the situation is traumatic for her, she should have the right to opt for abortion.

As I said, these are only my views. I do not expect to change yours, but I think healthy communication is explaining your viewpoint and being respectful of the views and opinions of others.

Jack Butler
06-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Hard to just comment on this.
You can't judge a person without going through what they have.
The chance of that are slim to none considering all the situations that can lead to it.
Unless you have had the situation to deal with, it's all talk IMO!

pickles for sale
06-03-2009, 01:31 PM
I feel that there are some situations that you don't know what you would do unless it happened to you. (ie rape).

I also think it is so strange that most of the protesters in front of the hospital are older men. WEIRD.

lynys
06-03-2009, 01:32 PM
I think abortion is wrong morally, however, I cannot tell someone they are wrong for doing it.

Abortion is wrong for me. I will never abort a fetus, no matter the reason.

EyelashExtensions
06-03-2009, 01:34 PM
There are many reasons a woman/teen/child would require an abortion. It will never be illegal IMO. Sometimes the mother is at risk of dying or the child would have severe health complications and wouldn't survive anyway. Rape, incest. It's not always because of a "mistake". I don't believe they inquire as to why you are doing it, that would be private and personal info that the health care providers aren't going to start to collect to determine if they fall into any of those categories. To me a persons body is theirs, and they have the right to do what they feel is best for themselves. It's not my business what others do, plain and simple.

Super Gram
06-03-2009, 01:47 PM
I am not going to say anything about this. I have my views but since we have had this on the board before. It turns into one big mess. Just like smoking and non smoking.

Melanie Booker
06-03-2009, 02:01 PM
lol, apparently not.

Pro-choice is E-V-I-L. I hope Canada's supreme court can do something.

well, colour me E-V-I-L!

Amaranth
06-03-2009, 02:10 PM

Not only is that rude, but obviously wrong too.

Anyway, this is a topic that always turns out messy no matter what. *sigh*

I can honestly say that there is no way I would terminate a pregnancy because I have been in a position (more than once) when a doctor thought it was "necessary" to do so. I didn't and I am glad I did not choose to abort.

Should I force others to believe the way I do? Nope. I would hope my own daughters would never even contemplate it and that I have instilled my morals on them but in the end, people in this country have the ability to make their own choices.

Strife
06-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Well before this topic turns into a mad house, I will state my views. To me, abortion is not illegal, nor wrong under some circumstances. The only reason an abortion is wrong is when it is used as birth control. There is a reason why there are a variety of birth control methods out there.

My girlfriend and I already have a son that was neither planned, nor prepared for. We chose to bring a beautiful baby boy into our lives that sometimes frustrates us both, but have also given us a joyous gift that keeps giving. She now has an IUD that doesnt require daily maintenance (ie taking a pill), and is invisible (not like the patch). We both despise condoms so an IUD was the best solution for both of us.

As a man, I have no right to tell my girlfriend to have an abortion. If she wants to carry it and adopt it away then that is her decision.

bluekrissyspikes
06-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Let me guess. you are a man. you are middle aged. you are religious.

SWRKR 01
06-03-2009, 03:54 PM

Not sure who you are referring to here...... But I am a male, middle aged...spiritual, not religious.... are these bad things?

bluekrissyspikes
06-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Not sure who you are referring to here...... But I am a male, middle aged...spiritual, not religious.... are these bad things?

nope, they aren't bad and, nope,i was refering to the op. thanks for answering me though:smile:
as stereo-typical as it might sound it's usually people who fall into those catagories who are totally against pro-choice. although being all those doesn't mean you are anti-abortion in my experience most people who want to take that right away from people fit there too.

SWRKR 01
06-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Thank you for the clarification.....

Strife
06-03-2009, 07:50 PM
nope, they aren't bad and, nope,i was refering to the op. thanks for answering me though:smile:
as stereo-typical as it might sound it's usually people who fall into those catagories who are totally against pro-choice. although being all those doesn't mean you are anti-abortion in my experience most people who want to take that right away from people fit there too.

LOL....I thought you were referring to me aswell. In case you were wondering, I am a man, mid 20's, atheist.

Anapeg
06-03-2009, 08:29 PM

I am male( doesn't necessarily make me a man) well past middle aged and decidedly not religious.
My point of view, not ever as a form of birth control. There are a myriad of methods available all inexpensive so killing is not necessary. For medical reasons and rape, incest and the like definitely. Never for convenience.

Luv'inLife
06-03-2009, 08:36 PM
I think that if you applied all your beliefs of goodness it would be a perfect world, but do to circumstance life is not perfect, what is worse, a female deciding she is not able to deal with life as a Mom at the time or bringing an unwanted child into the world so you can bash her for giving her baby away or being a bad Mom? I sit on the fence on this topic, not for me to judge other people for the very difficult decisions they are faced with.

MissMuffett
06-03-2009, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't ever want to make a choice like that.

Until u are in their shoes don't judge! U don't know their story.

Oscar_Leroy
06-03-2009, 11:11 PM

Abortion is wrong. Today I found out that millions of abortions have happened over the years. Today I would like to hear Soonetters' opinions on abortion. I have to say that last year there WAS an abortion protest in the sault last year in front of the hospital. My opinion is that abortion should be illegal. And this is quite an issue. People should be aware this is happening. People should join PRO-LIFE. Not PRO-CHOICE. Pro-choice is E-V-I-L. I hope Canada's supreme court can do something.

Pro-choice is not evil, intolerance is evil.

No matter how one feels about the situation, ultimately it is the choice of the woman carrying the child. Besides how does it affect your life in any way when somebody decides to get an abortion? It's unfair to judge those who choose to get an abortion, as I'm sure anybody in that position finds it difficult to make the decision.

Giggle Squirt
06-03-2009, 11:56 PM
it is a personal decision made for personal reasons, it is not like they post on soonet saying should i or shouldn't i get an abortion? (i hope not) weather or not the child was unplanned or was a product of incest or rape, if the girl carrying the baby does not feel right bringin it into the world then that should be their choice, for lack of $$ resources to take care of it housing, social situatin, family situatin, it is not a decision that is up to the public to make for them. People protest other peoples decisions daily...

Luv'inLife
06-04-2009, 12:54 AM
when I see all the old men at the hospital protesting I always wonder how many of them have a daughter, grandaughter, neice, friend who secretly had an abortion and has lived with the guilt because this A-hole has made her feel like she can't talk about it...it is not something any person does with a smile! my sister in law was 16 and raped, when I took her to the hospital to get checked over, they were there with the signs, she bawled because she felt like they were judging her and did not know why she was making that choice.

Anapeg
06-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Never for convenience,

The following contraceptives listed are available in
Canada and are easily accessible.

Click Below For More Information

Barrier Methods are:
Female Condom
Male Condom
Diaphragm & Cervical Cap
Sponge
Lea’s Contraceptive
Spermicides

Hormonal Methods are:
Depo-Provera
The Birth Control Pill
Emergency Contraceptive Pill (the "morning after" pill)
The Patch (Ortho Evra)
The Ring (NuvaRing)

Surgical Methods are:
Tubal Ligation (Female Sterilization)
Vasectomy (Male Sterilization)

Other Methods are:
IUD
Natural Family Planning
Abstinence
Withdrawal
Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM)

We have free male condoms available.

None of these require killing, but they do require planning. Why eliminate a human life for someones lack of self control or indecision?
For those preaching about being judgemental. Not once have I judged anyone for that is not my place. I do offer alternatives to killing babies though. Is that wrong as well?

EyelashExtensions
06-04-2009, 03:13 PM
No, it's not. I think the original poster made such a broad comment though. Are we talking all abortion, early, mid and late term. Are we talking about even when someone is raped or if there is incest involved. There are so many sub-categories. I do NOT agree with mid/late term abortions(not that I agree with any really, but definitely not those) unless there is a real medical emergency to do one. Sometimes people could not handle adopting out, knowing the unknown of where and what their child is doing. It's just such a wide spectrum. A teen(14-15 years old) gets pregnant, I would not want to be put in that situation and decide for my own child as to what she might have to do either way. I can't judge people for their own choices. At least they have some sort of choice. Pro-lifers are there to speak for the children, pro-choicers are there to speak for the women, IMO there's a reason for both sides.

Luv'inLife
06-04-2009, 03:18 PM
I had my son at 14, like I said, its not a choice for me, but I do believe that it is a hard choice some have to make...I will never judge them, as for using it as birth control, I agree there are alternatives. I just feel that the group that protests at the hospital are not very well informed and as far as saying it is against Christianity...so is being judgemental.

Anapeg
06-04-2009, 03:27 PM
The group at the hospital are devout and have narrow beliefs. They are right you are wrong. While Catholics would vociferously deny me, I don't see this as a Religious decision. It is to me a moral one though.

Luv'inLife
06-04-2009, 03:42 PM
I agree, I just think they should look in thier bible and see what it says about who will be doing the judging on judgment day.

Barry Morris
06-04-2009, 04:37 PM
... intolerance is evil.....

Not very tolerant.

Oscar_Leroy
06-05-2009, 01:55 AM
Not very tolerant.

True, however this is why intolerance is evil. It's infectious. Until issues can be discussed without passing judgment on those who might disagree with you both sides will never meet. Passing judgment leads to intolerance, intolerance leads to extremists, and extremists ultimately lead to violence. This is why I think intolerance is evil, and to suggest people of a pro-chioce mindset are evil, is intolerance.

$Spendbender$
06-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Okay, I don't usually get involved in this pro-choice debate, but I can't keep quiet about it forever. I think the operative word being overlooked here is "CHOICE"

While I think your hearts are in the right place, your heads are stuck in skewed opinion of a fairy-tale book about an invisible being in the sky who supposedly gave us the ability to reason, and then instructed us not to use it.

What about the liberation of women? In a 1981 press conference Mother Theresa said, "I think it is beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is much helped by the suffering of the poor people."

huh?

..and you have to ask why I've denounced my Catholic religion..

If those are the words of a "saint", then sainthood is not for me.

There are few places on Earth where women are treated worse than dirt. Here's an example of how things work in Afghanistan: If I borrow money from you and can't pay it back in a manner you consider timely, or if I accidentally kill your goat by running over it with my cart, you can take me to a village elder for a decision on how this should be rectified, and that village elder can decide that to pay off my debt I can give you my 8 year-old daughter, and you can make her your new wife.

Think about THAT.

I think it's safe to say that women are treated worse than dogs in Afghanistan. Under the Taliban, women were denied the right to education, the right to work, the right to travel, the right to recreation, the right to health, the right to legal recourse, and the right to even be seen by anyone not in their immediate families.

Suicide is common among the women of Afghanistan who can no longer endure being repeatedly assaulted by the men in their lives, and the typical method of suicide for these women is self-immolation - google it, the images will give you nightmares.

How horrifying must your life be when lighting yourself on fire sounds like the best option available for alleviating your pain?

I can't believe that there are still those who think our FREEDOM of CHOICE over what we do with our own bodies should be taken away.

I can't believe that in this day and age, in this COUNTRY we are still sadled with the attitude that your choice is right as long as it's the same as mine.

SWRKR 01
06-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Very well said!!

mags
06-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Abortion is not; illegal, morally wrong, ethically wrong. It is a right that we have, women who choose to have an abortion to do so lightly.
There are far too many in the so called pro-life movement, who are so rabid in their beliefs they see no wrong in killing of doctors, or staff who provide abortions. They bomb clinics where abortions are performed with no regards to collateral damage. The pro-choice side has never murdered any one nor set off any bombs. Makes me wonder who the term pro-life applies to with the intolerant side of the pro-lifers.
Not all on the pro-life side are crazy but there are away too many who are intolerant.
Being pro-choice does not mean you are anti-life!

Luv'inLife
06-05-2009, 12:31 PM
question...if I have an abortion I'm evil, if my boyfriend or a stranger beats me and I loose my baby(before 3 months) he just gets assault and nothing is said about the "fetus", still alot of double standards.

everywoman
06-08-2009, 01:15 AM
Very well said Spendbender.

dancingqueen
06-08-2009, 02:43 AM
I am a pro-lifer. I do not believe in abortions, unless it is to save the life of the woman carrying the child. Otherwise, I believe the child should be carried and if the mother feels for whatever reason they cannot care for the child should consider adoption at this point. I do not change my opinion in cases of incest or rape or anything else. Who are you to decide weather your child ought to live or not? it may be a product of incest and become mutilated or developmentaly delayed. But who are you to say they wouldn't want to live that life. My stance is not based on the right for a woman to choose what to do with her body. That Baby inside her is not her body. That being said, I have learned a long time ago that it is not in my best interest to judge others because I am very open to the possibility that there could be reasons I am not aware that may cause a woman to need an abortion. Abortions should not be illegal because it is a desperate moment. and if an abortion in a clean environment with professionals is not available, she will simply go to a back-alley abortionist if ya know what I mean. I am for harm reduction. I wish they wouldn't use it, but am glad they can in a safe environment. I also do not like seeing those picketers because this decision to have an abortion is a difficult one, and the mother will have to live with this decision for the rest of her life. You picketing outside is probably peanuts compared to how much she is beating herself up inside. I think abortions should only be covered if deemed medically necessary. and otherwise should be at cost to the patient. as Anapeg pointed out, there are a plethora of contrecetives, and adoption is always a possibility and should be considered.

mr ed
06-08-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm with DQ on this one I never saw it as a 'women's rights' issue and overall the number of abortions as a result of rape, incest,life of mother and for that matter by lower income individuals are minuscule as far as the statistics go.The vast majority of abortions are opted for by single women in their thirties with middle class incomes. to me this is convenience and an extreme form of birth control.
I cant say when life begins or what rights a fetus has just because it is a 'potential human being' but it seems to me that someone who is unconscious has the right to life because he has the same potential, not only because he was conscious before but because of the inevitability of his consciousness.

$Spendbender$
06-08-2009, 10:28 AM
The argument over when or if it's a good time to have an abortion is endless. There is no right or wrong outcome, only idealistic scenarios.

Like it or not, I can do what I want with my body. That does not mean you have to agree with my choice. This is a country that has afforded us all many, many rights. And one of them is the right to abort an unwanted pregnancy, regardless of the reason. I know it sounds ugly, but it's a fact. And it really isn't even anyone's business what the circumstances surrounding that choice are.

Again, the point that is being overlooked is that we have in this great country, among other rights, the freedom of choice. My Grandfather (and probably yours) fought for us to have these freedoms and now there are some who would pick and choose which rights I (as a woman) should have. To do that would be to take our social and cultural evolution back 200 years.

If you remove that freedom then what is next? You create lunatic fringe groups, extremist parties who control who you vote for, where you live, who you should marry etc. Keep in mind there are an astonishing number of these groups who still believe that homosexuality should be illegal.

Even if you make abortion illegal do you honestly think that it will stop it from happening? The fact that cocaine and heroin are illegal does not stop people from using.

You CANNOT say that you are in favour of women's equality and in the next breath say you are against abortion. Because if you do, you know what that makes you?

mr ed
06-08-2009, 11:08 AM
lol..

Anapeg
06-08-2009, 03:39 PM
The pro-choice side has never murdered any one nor set off any bombs.

Between 1970 and 2005, approximately 2,889,167 abortions have been performed in Canada.
Care to rephrase that?

$Spendbender$
06-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Works out to approximately 226.6 per day.

or 22.66 per province per day (not including Nunavit).

That's not a lot really. How many people are murdered by a spouse, child or parent etc. in that same amount of time? I bet it's a helluva lot more.

I know! we should make murder illegal.

oh wait..it already is. So why hasn't it stopped completely?

06-08-2009, 09:13 PM
22??!! Oh my oh my oh my! How horrible. And there ain't even funerals. Or even much crying. Rest in peace all un-liveed babies.

imtheman
06-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Abotion IS wrong cause life isn't random

Barry Morris
06-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Like it or not, I can do what I want with my body. ...

..... in favour of women's equality

How about baby women???

mags
06-09-2009, 03:48 PM
No, I do not have to rephrase 'the pro-choice side has never murdered anyone'. I will gladly restate it though. Abortion is not murder. Abortion is not murder any more than a miscarriage is.
I do believe that abortion is a woman’s right and that no religious institution, religious beliefs of others has the right to deny this or outlaw it. While I believe in abortion I do not think it should be used as a form of birth control and it is not for the most part.
I applaud the women and girls on here who choose not to have an abortion and proceed in difficult situations. Their stories have turned out well for them and their children. However in my experience that is not the case.
Abortion is not murder it is a choice that is not easily made.

mr ed
06-09-2009, 05:25 PM
yes it must be a very very difficult dicision to make I have to agree with you there mags. ow I respect your opinions but easily accessible stats from statistic canada , epigee, contracept.org show that by and large the reasons for abortion is financial or for convenience.
Maybe its just me but I tend to discount any assertion of what is a person's 'right' if it is not accompanied by some sort of responsibility.

Evangeline
06-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Those of you who say things about it being used as birth control need to talk to someone who has had an abortion, or a D&C (same thing except there is no fetus in the uterus) and tell them to go into detail about the procedure, it's not a pleasant experience! Nobody that I have talked to about it would go back on a regular basis to use it as a form of contraception, there is also a ton of risks involved. Women who choose to have this done put a lot of thought into it.

SWRKR 01
06-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Those of you who say things about it being used as birth control need to talk to someone who has had an abortion, or a D&C (same thing except there is no fetus in the uterus) and tell them to go into detail about the procedure, it's not a pleasant experience! Nobody that I have talked to about it would go back on a regular basis to use it as a form of contraception, there is also a ton of risks involved. Women who choose to have this done put a lot of thought into it.

I can attest to this. It is seldom a decision taken lightly. And I do know, it is usually, a decision with a lot of guilt and concern. From what I am told, it is uncomfortable and extremely intrusive with very little psychological and emotional support.

lk_wicked
06-09-2009, 08:24 PM
DID YOU KNOW? I had a miscarriage many years ago, the baby was dead in my uterus, when I started bleeding, I went to the hospital to deliver this dead baby, and was devastated when the medical paper work stated I had an abortion. The doctor explained to me, that my body aborted the baby, and the terminology doesnt mean, I went in the hospital for an abortion. But that the wording on medical records is the same. So if I had opted for an abortion, its called an abortion. Because my body naturally gave up this dead infant, it is still called an abortion. THAT still causes me grief to this day.
As I could never choose abortion. But I do not judge what other people choose to do. The only issue with abortion I have, is when women use it as a means of birth control and the same women repeatedly have several chosen abortions. There are better methods of birth control. However, I imagine that is a select few who make things look very evil and dark indeed.

lk_wicked
06-09-2009, 08:30 PM
is abortion murder you judge? I know how I feel

A fetus that is growing, is a baby. It has a heart, it has organs, it is human. The part of your arguement is that it is not murder, is what I dont agree with. I believe that every woman has the right to make that choice for herself and to live with the consequences of that choice. However, aborting a fetus, is terminating a life. no matter how you look at it. You can play semantics and games with words, but it is still terminating a life. I believe that it is also a very big emotional decision, for any one that has to make it. And I believe I am not a person who has the right to judge what is right for others in this issue. We each as women, have to live with the choices we make.

mags
06-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Bluemoon, I don't know if this will put your mind at ease it might. The term 'therapeutic abortion' is used when a pregnancy is ended by choice. The word abortion doesn't mean that you opted for an abortion it means nature intervened.
I am sorry that you had this devastating experience.