PDA

View Full Version : Union people support union people.

Barry Morris
06-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Handyman said it.

Is he prepared to support it??

kitca
06-07-2009, 10:38 AM
what do you mean by this?

Barry Morris
06-07-2009, 02:26 PM
What I actually mean is that Handyman has no idea of what can happen in union shops. The thread title was HIS statement and it's nonsense.

GRUMPY
06-07-2009, 04:03 PM
as compared to what could happen in a nonunion shop?

Bill Nash
06-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Considering I am the past president (now retired)of a local of one of the largest unions in Canada, and have been a delegate to the Ontario Federation of Labour Convention .... I think I know a little bit about unions.

Want to go head to head on this one.....?

Bill Nash
06-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Second thought, .... I've got better things to do, .... I forgot, .....I'm retired :)))

Juggs
06-07-2009, 08:46 PM
unions are great I'm a proud member of local 793 operating engineers

KDawg
06-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Union people support union people.
Non-union people support non-union people.
Canadians support Canadians.
Mechanics support mechanics.
Golfers support golfers.

Do any of those statements make sense?

Barry Morris
06-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Second thought, .... I've got better things to do, .... I forgot, .....I'm retired :)))

Figures.

Story:

Person works at job for 25 years, two or three from top of seniority list in Local.

Is hurt on job, can't perform it anymore, is transfered to another local, where person ends up near BOTTOM of seniority list. (same union). Works about a year then WSIB says, go for training, spends two years as an honour student and then is OUT.

Can't get job because of age, near retirement.

No pension, no benefits, screwed by employer AND union.

Big unions are like any other big company now. They exist for their OWN benefit, not the workers.

Anapeg
06-08-2009, 10:12 AM
In defense of the unions Soundbear. This phenomenon is felt through out society. Unions, Church's Feed the starving campaigns. They are all self serving to a great point now.
The Royal Canadian Legion was concocted to die with the demise of the last veteran. But it now makes enough money and supports enough people it can't be allowed to die. Once cash in large enough quantities starts to prop up an entity designed to help it becomes *******ized and feeds itself. The people involved will contort things to fit the original outlook while maintaining gainful employ for themselves and their cronies. Cynical, decidedly, but alas that is me.

ByrdDawg
06-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Many years ago union workers helped to bring about health and safety laws and working conditions by using the only weapons that they had – work stoppages and strikes. The only time you could get a big companies attention was to hit them in the only place they cared about – their wallets.

Eventually however it got to the point that the workers were doing so well that they could enjoy almost the same lifestyles as “management people” and became so complacent that they began to lose sight of the big picture.

The companies have been taking advantage of this for years and have been doing a good job of watering down all the gains that the unions have made in the past, using the union members themselves to help them do it.

No one can afford to go on strike anymore and work stoppages will get you sued flat broke.

Companies have eroded the power of union executives by taking away the support of their members.

The members now think of the “union” as the half dozen or so local executive board people and blame them for all their troubles. Guess who helped to vote in all the legislation that now ties their hands ?
( look in mirror now )

Everything goes in cycles and once the middle class has been eradicated and we are back to the “very rich “ and the “very poor “, it will start all over again.

KDawg
06-08-2009, 07:18 PM
I agree.

Unions did bring about many good changes to labour laws, but alas, they have outlived their usefulness. They are now as corrupt as any other group.

I doubt 90 years ago the intention of unions was to allow the guy sweeping floors to be able to afford a summer home and drive a Cadillac -- just look at GM today.

Jack Butler
06-08-2009, 07:29 PM
A union worker, with his first pay cheque, decides to buy some female companionship.
He walks in the first brothel and said, " I'm a union guy with union money, I want a union hooker".
The Madam reply, "All the girls are freelance here, sorry".
Off he goes to the next and the next brothel without finding a union shop.
Finally, he has success, finally he can spend his union money on a union hooker.
Satisfied that his money will be well spent, he tells the Madam, "I'll take the cute young blonde, in the maids outfit".
The Madam replied, "Sorry, you get the grey haired one in the house coat, she's got the seniority"!

Hans
06-08-2009, 08:17 PM
She might have the seniority, but you forgot to mention that because of that she has to bring a junior maid with her for training purposes.

riggs
06-08-2009, 10:02 PM
She might have the seniority, but you forgot to mention that because of that she has to bring a junior maid with her for training purposes.

:pclap: :slol: :slol:

dancingqueen
06-08-2009, 11:52 PM

lol, well played sirs :)

Jack Butler
06-09-2009, 07:27 AM

Touche'.....ha, ha, ha!

Jack Butler
06-09-2009, 08:22 AM

Well, if you are OK with the fact you will now have a witness that you payed to do someones Grandmother!

Scoff
06-09-2009, 09:32 AM
I doubt 90 years ago the intention of unions was to allow the guy sweeping floors to be able to afford a summer home and drive a Cadillac -- just look at GM today.

/cheer!

That's the kind of stuff that has to stop.