PDA

View Full Version : Trailer hitch question

LettuceLady
06-09-2009, 09:49 AM
We have a 2006 Chevy Uplander that we are driving to Alberta next month. Id like to rent a U Haul for my house plants, a cooler with snacks, pet food and our clothing for a few days, nothing too too heavy. Id like to rent a 4x8 or a 5x8 U Haul.
I was told that because my van is a 2006, that I wont need a transmission coolant by one mechanic. I dont want to chance it so Im looking for an opinion :) Id hate to blow my transmission with my kids and a van full of pets.
Also, where is the best/cheapest place to get a hitch put on? The GM dealer quoted me $699 and Canadian Tire $575.
Should I just buy a Class 2 hitch and have my husband install it (he is in Alberta right now but will be home next month)? Or, should I bring this to a mechanic and have the transmission coolant put in to be safe?

icecapp
06-09-2009, 10:02 AM
LL try Johnsons RV.... also, ADD sells really nice hitchs at the store he works at!! then usually johnsons charges 100 buxs to put in..

the hitch's add sells are really in expensive but quality is there....

someguy
06-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Driving to Alberta and only having a 6 cylinder motor in that van I would not put a trailer on the van unless it had a tranny cooler installed.

Try places like Christie Camper's, Johnsons's RV, Martin's Trailers or Eagle Rad for the trailer hitch installation. I think they may also do coolers.

Cheaper to buy a tranny cooler than a whole new tranny.

icecapp
06-09-2009, 10:04 AM
good point someguy.

kitca
06-09-2009, 10:06 AM
we had our tranny go on us from not having the cooler added, i would definatly remommend getting it done.

we got our hitch done at christies and are very happy with them.

MaO3
06-09-2009, 10:15 AM
I would call a transmission shop to verify the cooler - personally I deal with Advanced because Larry is such a great guy.

As for the hitch, we've always had our work done at Christies, not cheap but always done right!

kitty&mimi
06-09-2009, 10:21 AM
i got a hidden hitch from johnson for like less than 400
it's for a 06 cr-v

LettuceLady
06-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Who/what is ADD?

Barry Morris
06-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Hitches from CTC are usually very easy to install. Wiring is another issue, and might make the pro install a better idea.

Cooler is a good idea.

NEVER use overdrive while pulling. Lock it out. Also shut off converter lockup, if the manual says how.

DON'T let the engine labour at all. Downshift on hills.

When pulling away from a stop, downshift to first gear. This doesn't always make a difference to the transmission, but in some vehicles it does. Plus lets the engine do more of the work.

Barney Rubble
06-09-2009, 12:27 PM
depends if your van is automatic or manual transmission.

i pulled a 12 foot trailer out here with my 5 speed manual ford ranger & no probs but was slow in the hills of northern ontario & just before the alberta border.

where in alberta?

LettuceLady
06-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Fort Mac ;) I know that my van is front wheel drive.

_daynzy
06-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Who/what is ADD?

I have no idea! :D :D :D

icecapp
06-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Who/what is ADD?

hes replyed.. PM him.. hes a great lad to deal with and knows his poop... :)

SWRKR 01
06-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Might I suggest you contact Larry at Advanced transmissions on Queen St and ask his opinion? He is very knowledgeable and not looking to make a 'buck'. He will give you an honest opinion with knowledge.

_daynzy
06-09-2009, 05:37 PM
hes replyed.. PM him.. hes a great lad to deal with and knows his poop... :)

:o:o

Sweet Little Sister
06-09-2009, 06:13 PM
:o:o

you used to look at me like that.. *sigh*

LettuceLady
06-09-2009, 08:13 PM
It looks like I have the tranny cooler already. I brought my van up to Canadian Tire today and they have a class 2 hitch for me for $211 and the wiring is $49. They are putting new tires on so they will do the hitch and wiring at the same time.
Thanks everyone!

Giggle Squirt
06-09-2009, 09:02 PM
most newer vehicles have transmission cooler lines built in that flow through the rad(in their own seperate lines so they don't mix with the coolant) that keep them cool You might also want to read the owners manual becaus some times during towing applications, they want you to use a thicker oil to help keep up the viscosity during the high temps created during the tow.

SWRKR 01
06-09-2009, 09:21 PM
note to self...and I do not want to say "I told you so", but....Canadian Tire??

Never work done with quality. Double check it. Just a suggestion from experience

corn316
06-10-2009, 08:13 AM
i would not put a class 2 hitch on at all they are too weak i would go with a class 3 insted its alot stonger and safer cause it dont take much to break a class 2 a good friend of mine works for one of the rv places and recomends a class 3 hitch were u have a choice to install and canadien tire to do work on cars not a good thing to do

LettuceLady
06-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi again,
I am in Wawa so Im not sure if that makes a difference. Would my van hold a class 3 (wondering if it would "break" what its attached to)?
I appreciate everyones opinion :D

corn316
06-11-2009, 12:16 AM
class 3 will work and u dont want the van par to break it always better that the trailler breaks it cost less if it does than fixing ur van i had a class 3 on my montana and loved it

LettuceLady
06-11-2009, 08:55 AM
I did upgrade to a class 3 yesterday ;)

Barry Morris
06-11-2009, 09:01 AM
most newer vehicles have transmission cooler lines built in that flow through the rad(in their own seperate lines so they don't mix with the coolant) that keep them cool You might also want to read the owners manual becaus some times during towing applications, they want you to use a thicker oil to help keep up the viscosity during the high temps created during the tow.

All auto trans cars have that kind of cooler. Have for years. It actually also WARMS the transmission in winter. The cooler spoken of is an extra one to keep the transmission oil cooler.

That thicker oil would be for the engine. 10w30 instead of 5w30, maybe.