PDA

View Full Version : Fish recipes?

EyelashExtensions
06-22-2009, 04:31 PM
I need fish recipes! Yummy ones....nothing for salmon though. I'm tired of fish crisp and beer batter/english style fish!

MaO3
06-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Try coating your fish in crushed salt and vinager chips or dill pickel chips.

Then pan frying.

EyelashExtensions
06-23-2009, 02:11 PM
A friend on facebook said to try doritos too, must be good with chips I guess lol. The pickle or vinegar sounds a bit better though.

MaO3
06-23-2009, 04:21 PM
oh its great Lizzard - seriously give it a try. You need next to no oil in the pan either, since the chips are deepfried.

YUMMMMMO!

really?
06-26-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm gonna try that! I camp and fish a lot. I can crush the chips in the bag, throw in the freshly caught filets, shake and cook on the fire! No extra bags, no breading/flour crap. Sounds so easy and good!

kitca
06-27-2009, 12:36 AM
dont forget to save the heads and make fish head soup!!! a very, very old finnish lady told me her favorite food was fish head soup, and that pickeral was her favorite. i made it shortly after she told me about it (then passed away). i have to admit it was very tasty. if you want the recipe, let me know.

really?
06-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Recipe please! My gram did the same with perch heads. She would remove the cheeks and they were like little scallops floating in her fish head soup.

kitca
06-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Yes!!! boil the hell out of all your heads and an appropriate amount of water. ie, 6 heads, vs 12 heads. a dozen can do a big pot. let it boil for an hour or two. she scooped their cheeks out and composted the rest. you can reboil it cleaned out with barley, lentils, soup beans etc. then in butter fry up a med onion till translucent. add salt, pepper, and any other spices you like to taste and any veggies you have, though carrots, celery and potato are good. add veggies at end and cook till tender. it should jell up really nicely when it is cold. that means it is chock full of protein. it is so good for you, and so delicious and most people just throw those heads away. my family loved it, unitl i told them what i had made it out of. then they got a bit of attitude, but it was really tasty. the fish heads make a really nice soup stock. our grammas did it best eh! they didnt waste a thing, and it always tasted so good.

Sophie's_Mommy
06-29-2009, 12:07 PM
I have never had fish head soup, the thought of it makes me want to puke for some reason. I hear it is good but i'm a wimp and will not try it..lol.. This may sound stupid, but does the soup have a really strong fish taste to it? Or is it mild?
My grandfather use to make a fish soup but it was more like a chowder i guess, it was really good. My all time favorite is homemade salmon patties. I have not had them in ages.. Now I have a craving fro them :) Well I ve had the store bought ones but They are not half as good as homemade ones.

heintzman
07-01-2009, 08:45 PM
my son went fishing today, caught his limit of walleye,,, i cooked some in the dill pickle chips , panfried in butter and a bit of oil,,, delish!! Hubby said to try the old dutch dill pickle next time, said the dill flavour is stronger,,, i will do this as the dill flavour was weak. The boy did bring home 8 heads, his and his grandpas,, so he could take the cheeks out,,,,?,,, he didn't end up doing this , so i froze them, if you want them PM , me ,,, they are yours , for a bowl of soup!! happy Canada Day! i wouldn't mind trying the soup, but don't think i can make it myself !! blah!

kitca
07-01-2009, 10:41 PM
ill do it!

where do you launch at rock lake?

EyelashExtensions
07-07-2009, 03:21 PM
There is a boat launch there. Umm I'm not sure what the road is called

EyelashExtensions
07-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Tried this recipe yesterday at my future MIL place and it was sooooo yummy! It was made with Lake Trout though, I'm pretty sure it would be good with most kinds of fish.

ORANGE ROUGHY PARMESAN

2 lb. orange roughy
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
4 tbsp. butter, softened
3 tbsp. mayonnaise
3 tbsp. chopped green onions
1/4 tsp. salt
Pepper and Tabasco

In a buttered baking dish, place fillets in a single layer. Brush with lemon juice. Let stand for 10 minutes.

In small bowl combine cheese, butter, mayonnaise, green onion, salt, pepper and Tabasco.

Broil fillets 3 to 4 inches (under preheated broiler) for 5-6 minutes. Pour off excess liquid. Spread with cheese mixture and broil for an additional 2-3 minutes. Watch closely.

The tabasco gave it extra flavor, it didn't make it hot or spicy at all.

Melanie Booker
07-08-2009, 03:47 PM
what the heck is orange roughy?

EyelashExtensions
07-09-2009, 01:56 PM
It is a really ugly sea perch, but they sure do taste yummy!