PDA

View Full Version : C-Diff.

tippikitty
07-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Has anyone been sick with this and had a hard time getting rid of it?
What else can you do if the first round of treatment doesn't work?
Any info would be appreciated.

Lollypop
07-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Aww no!
My mil contacted it while having surgery in Hamilton a few years ago. I know Immodium helped her.

tippikitty
07-02-2009, 10:58 AM
I know you can't take imodium or any other anti diarrhea medication because you need to get rid of the Bactria. Your body needs whatever to come out. Apparently.

b&aMom
07-02-2009, 12:18 PM
That's a tough one. C diff is bacterial, so it needs something to kill the bacteria, usually antibiotics. However, if the strongest antibiotics they're throwing at it fail (if taken properly in the first place), then all I can think of is to make the environment hostile to the bacteria. I'm not sure if it lives in the gut, or lower like the intestines, but all I can think of is to change the body's pH, since I know that can help with viruses. Perhaps trying more acidic foods? Lots of pickled stuff? Alternately, there has been research with peppers for use against bacteria. Maybe eating some hot peppers, or taking some Capsaicin capsules?

You could try to google the beneficial effects of vinegars or Capsaicin on bacteria, and see what you come up with. Worth a shot.

kitty&mimi
07-02-2009, 02:10 PM
what about bitter stuff?
like the other day i bought real cranberry juice (health section at a and p, 10bux for a bottle) but it's not from concentrate, no sugar added...just plain, strained cranberries
anyway...i told my husband, whatever was living inside of me at the time i was drinking it is now dead....i swear i've never tasted anything so bitter

what about alcohol?
or what about starving it? just drink water -no food?
apple cider vinegar is nasty so are lemons

do they have tests to check for c diff?

tippikitty
07-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Yes there are test to confirm you have C-Diff....I have tested positive twice now and waiting on the doctor to get back to me on a plan of action this time. He wants to put me in the hospital for some reason and that is why I'm looking for a different option.
I have been on the antibiotics and it's not getting better. Also you can't drink alcohol while on this antibiotic because it can make you deathly ill.

Melanie Booker
07-02-2009, 06:29 PM
whiskey enima? ;)

seriously tho, hope you find something that works for you.

Melanie Booker
07-02-2009, 06:39 PM
http://www.cdiffsupport.com/aboutcdiff.html
check out the second paragraph under 'How its normally treated'
could be why you can't get rid of it.

tippikitty
07-03-2009, 08:09 AM
I have heard that some people are sick with it for a very long time and that's not what I'm hoping for. I have enough problems and don't need to worry about it.
I am eating the pro biotic yogurt so I hope that is going to help. Other then that I'm not sure what else I can do. I was just wondering if there were other people out there that had been sick and needed to go into the hospital?
Thanks for all the replies.

Juggs
07-03-2009, 09:51 AM
you should be in the hospital and away from other people it is spread very easily. This is a very serious illness and can kill you. My wife works in the hospital and there is a lot of steps they have to take to control c diff! I know of a man who had this and he would not go to the hospital, he got so dehidrated that he had a stroke and did a lot of damage to his heart as well. I don't mean to scare you but do listen to your doctor and get admitted to the hospital! by not going to the hospital you are putting alot of other people at risk!!

tippikitty
07-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Other people are only at risk if I do not wash my hands. I have already been on I.V. fluids for sever dehydration so I've already been in the hospital for this so I'm not afraid to go back but would like to have other options.

Sophie's_Mommy
07-04-2009, 11:32 AM
I was watching a show last night about c diff, and they have fecal treatment, which means that they put someone elses good fecal matter in your "bum" and the good fecal matter fights the bad FM ( c-diff) and that cures it. I dont know if they only do it in the USA or not. I was grossed out by it. They say 5000 people die each year from c-diff.
I thought it was a joke when i saw it, but i guess it is for real and it works. The "donor poop" has good bacteria in it anf it fights the bad poop and cures it.
i guess whatever works though, but talk about gross...ewww..god the things they come up with, but hey if it saves you from you then what the heck.

Jst4u
07-05-2009, 08:29 AM
When my mom was in the hospital in Sudbury, they tested her all the time for C-Diff because her roommate had it. She was talking about the donor poop, too. So I'm assuming they do that treatment here. Maybe get poop from someone you know? Hubby maybe? Then at least you know whose poop you're getting lol

My elderly uncle passed away a month ago from C-Diff in Espanola. He had had a stroke and was in the hospital when he contracted it. Scary stuff.

Sophie's_Mommy
07-05-2009, 10:02 AM
When my mom was in the hospital in Sudbury, they tested her all the time for C-Diff because her roommate had it. She was talking about the donor poop, too. So I'm assuming they do that treatment here. Maybe get poop from someone you know? Hubby maybe? Then at least you know whose poop you're getting lol

My elderly uncle passed away a month ago from C-Diff in Espanola. He had had a stroke and was in the hospital when he contracted it. Scary stuff.

So I guess they do do it in Canada then as well. I wonder who thought of that idea...
Well I guess all that matters is that it works and has saved thousands of lives.
I would think it would be stool from a husband or child. It would not be hard to get..lol..so I don't think they would need to wait for a donor.If I needed that done, I would not want it from a stranger. I would want it from a family member I guess.

I never realized how serious this was. Lots of people die from it if not treated right away, Tippy, I would get your butt to the hospital asap and get this treated. Its not something to screw around with.

tippikitty
07-05-2009, 12:09 PM
The doc said he would call me tomorrow because my other test results should be in.

I know I asked for other treatments and things to help get rid of it but there is no way in hell I'm using anyones poop. Even if it were life and death. There are just somethings I would not do.

Hopefully tomorrow will bring better news.

Sophie's_Mommy
07-05-2009, 01:56 PM
I know it is gross and some people say I will never do it, But it does cure it and you wont die. What if it was your husband or moms poop. I know I know the thought is nasty, but all they do in put it up your bum and it comes right back out..If you think about it its not a bad idea compared to death :P

tippikitty
07-05-2009, 06:09 PM
I honestly don't think I would do it. I would have to be half dead and out of my mind to do it.
I'm sure I'll get better before I have to go to extremes.

Juggs
07-05-2009, 09:35 PM
I know it is gross and some people say I will never do it, But it does cure it and you wont die. What if it was your husband or moms poop. I know I know the thought is nasty, but all they do in put it up your bum and it comes right back out..If you think about it its not a bad idea compared to death :P

do you have to inclued you mom in everything you do? I love my mom but I woulden't have her poop stuffed up my chute!! geezzz

Jst4u
07-07-2009, 08:14 AM
It's not like they just take a chunk of poop and stuff it in with their fingers lol They take a small amount of donor stool, water it down and give it to you through an enema...not nearly as bad as it sounds lol

tippikitty
07-07-2009, 08:55 AM
You ever had a enema? :slol:

My results came back yesterday and apparently this round of treatment worked. I was very happy to hear that. Thanks to all for the advice.

Sophie's_Mommy
07-07-2009, 09:06 AM
do you have to inclued you mom in everything you do? I love my mom but I woulden't have her poop stuffed up my chute!! geezzz

grow up

Melanie Booker
07-07-2009, 11:02 AM
glad to hear you got it cleared up tippy!

tippikitty
07-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks! Me too.

heintzman
07-07-2009, 10:49 PM
really,,if it came down to it,, and that was the best cure,, yeah,,, dope me up and make me better,, i have alot to live for!!

heintzman
07-07-2009, 10:50 PM
glad that things worked out for you!!