PDA

View Full Version : Question: Surging in Windstar......

A*lil*Loopy
07-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Just bought a 2001 Ford Windstar.
Bought it because they said there were tranny problems as "it shifted funny". I was hoping it was only a TP sensor (last 2 Fords had that problem). Two TP sensors later (one aftermarket and one from Ford) we're still surging. RPMs get up a bit and it feels like it wants to surge forward but I feel no tranny slip. It does want to hop when pulling away on a left corner (but never on a right) and sometimes jumps a bit when pulling away but only when it's hot. There are no engine lights coming on so I'm not thinking there will be any codes available.

Before I replace a tranny, do any of you have any possible ideas. I'm grasping at straws and hoping that someone has had this problem before and solved it without tranny replacement. I'll be taking it to two different tranny places for their opinions next week if I have time. I'm just wanting to cover all the little things before doing the big one.

deanoo28
07-03-2009, 09:15 PM
If the surging happens more when cold,check for leaks at the intake plennum gasket

Timbit
07-04-2009, 11:20 PM
loopy, windstars were famous for tranny problems, but if you feel you might be able to solve it, try a flush...full flush, not just one of those change the pan and gasket and refil with oil (useless!!!) and see how that works....how many KMS on this van? and also, I am not sure what you are referring to in the problem the tranny is having....maybe a bit better explanation? :)

A*lil*Loopy
07-10-2009, 07:11 PM
The van has just over 100,000 kms on it. The surging is like someone kicking down the gas pedal a bit so it wants to go faster (but doesn't actually speed up by much) the rpms go from just under 2 to about 2 1/2 while on the highway sporadically. We seem to be getting worse and it's jumping during acceleration from a stop. The front tires are starting to actually feel like they are jumping and skidding a bit.

I still haven't gone to a tranny shop, damn work schedule isn't very forgiving. I think it's going to be a replacement job. Now to find a shop I can actually trust. I already know where I'm not going.

The surging only happens when it's hot.

Giggle Squirt
07-10-2009, 07:40 PM
I had something like that happen with my jeep. The engine light wasn't on but i brought it to be scanned anyways. I had some messed up O2 sensors. Changed them and it stopped surging. Ours would surge on the highway too. Also if we were sitting at a stop light it would rev up aswell.

4caster
07-16-2009, 08:43 AM
I had some of those issues in my Dakota but the TP sensor solved the surging problem. A Tranny shop on Wallace Terrace (Quality Care-Dave Bouchard) will search for any codes and help you with your problem. I have had good service there.

Good Luck.

A*lil*Loopy
07-23-2009, 08:31 PM
UPDATE........I blew the tranny on the highway on Monday. Guess we know it was definitely the problem. Should have it replaced by Friday with any luck.

Thanks all for trying to help out with suggestions. And thanks to Timbit who actually approached me to find out more so he could help me figure it out. No more mysteries, and I'm glad we found a used tranny.........whew!

Macs II
07-23-2009, 09:14 PM
when you buy domestic vehicles .....this is what happens ...when will people learn

A*lil*Loopy
07-28-2009, 07:04 PM
No, get it right. When you buy cheap, used vehicles this is an example of what can happen.
But I still don't have monthly payments to the bank or finance company and it has cost me less than $3500 for a vehicle that I will get at least a few years out of.

So it's still not a bad deal.