PDA

View Full Version : Bless the Beasts and Children

GenX
07-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Warning: Graphic photos and story.

LINK (http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/bless-the-beasts-and-children.htm)

Let's put away the excuses and desires for self-flagellation. Let's call Islamic radicalism for what it is: barbarism and evil. Political Correctness can go to Hell.

pylus
07-09-2007, 03:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedy the Parrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's put away the excuses and desires for self-flagellation. </div></div>

What is the difference between the self-flagellation and the Opus Dei corporal mortification practices? Just curious about that point.

Not saying they aren't evil, not saying all of humanity isn't either.

GenX
07-09-2007, 03:41 PM
I was using self-flagellation in the analogous sense. Some people want to view the Islamic terror problem as something that is wholly the cause of Western foreign policy, or some other inane excuse. We put a collective guilt on ourselves that is unneeded and unhealthy. That is not to say good, solid introspection of polices and actions are not important or needed; but to the extent some people want to blame ourselves for the fact some radical animals want to kill us is close to insane.

Did we drive members of Al Queda to place bombs in the corpses of dead animals and little kids? Did we cause Al Queda to chop up and cook small children and make their families eat them? No, we did not. Acute mental problems brought on by radical Islamic indoctrination caused such things, and until we begin to understand where the line is between realistic introspection and an irrational need for self-flagellation, in the analogous sense, then we will continue to struggle against an enemy who is wholly incapable of defeating us militarily but is perfectly capable of defeating us psychologically.

Return of Too Many Daves
07-09-2007, 03:48 PM
I'd say all forms of radicalism be they Islamic or other are equally abhorent. I don't think I've ever heard any one worth listening to make an arguement to the contrary in the name of PCness or anything else.

Can we be concerned about our impact on the world and the socio-economic factors which may drive a minority to extremism? Yes, and furthermore, if changing a few socio-economic factors reduces the number of young men and women we have to throw into a cauldron of was (strike that cauldron of terrorism), then all the better.
Does this excuse radicalism? Plainly not.

pylus
07-09-2007, 03:51 PM
I know we won't get anywhere on this, ahh well. Anyone that comes to my home thinking that they are going to dictate how I am supposed to live isn't going to stay without a fight.

I'm not saying anyone is right, but maybe we got into a fight that was none of our business, maybe these radical people are insane and wrong in their beliefs. But it seems to me we are making it a lot easier for them to recruit people who otherwise wouldn't give a [censored] what we do outside of their home or country.

And in deciding to fight, I firmly believe one should take the course that will allow you if not victory or stalemate at least permanent injury to your enemy. Don't take a gun to a bomb fight.

pylus
07-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Dave, in most contexts your view on radicalism I might agree with. But, many times throughout history people have had radical thoughts, theories or ideas or based a lifes work on the promotion of some of those ideas...... In the end many forms of radicalism become very mainstream over time. Democracy, flying, earth revolving around the sun, etc.

I don't agree with Islam, but within the limited options that I can see for them to make a mark on their perceived enemy I understand their tactics. I don't understand our tactics in the fights we picked in the last few years, at least not from a want to win a war standpoint.

Return of Too Many Daves
07-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Sorry I was thinking of radicalism in the sense of a political movement that furthers it's course through radical means, i.e. violence or aggression. Rather than radical thought. Perhaps I should say extremism.

pylus
07-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Dave,
I knew what you meant, just gotta be a pain in the [censored] sometimes, or mostly.

BTW It appears we are on the same posting scheduale, registered a day apart and within 10 posts of each other. Something I just noticed..

GenX
07-09-2007, 04:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and furthermore, if changing a few socio-economic factors reduces the number of young men and women we have to throw into a cauldron of was (strike that cauldron of terrorism), then all the better. </div></div>

How do we explain doctors bent on killing innocent civilians all in the name of Islam? Certainly a doctor's salary and material existence is a "cauldron" many of us wouldn't mind being burdened with.

Return of Too Many Daves
07-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Don't think I said socio-economic factors explain everything. Nope definately not. Are you saying that there is no point addressing any socio-economic factors?

GenX
07-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Don't think I did. Nope, definitely not.

Return of Too Many Daves
07-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Then what is your point?

GenX
07-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Nothing.

I made the terrible mistake of not fully accepting 100% one of your theories, and I forgot what a terrible sin that is.

I need to remember to handle more gently your fragile ego built upon an educational foundation of sand.

(PS:I just thought I'd beat you to your inevitable personal attack on me) /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Return of Too Many Daves
07-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Boring

GenX
07-09-2007, 05:10 PM
What, unemployment?