PDA

View Full Version : brake rotors redone

weasel
07-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Hey peeps i was going to buy new rotors for my car but they are really expensive and somone told me to have them resurfaced....who does this in town and do you know how much? THANKS

ps. my rotors are still like new(really thick)..they are grooved into by the pads and im buying new pads and dont want them ruining

corn316
07-07-2009, 11:49 PM
first off is this a front wheel drive or rear if its a front u will want to change the rotors due to once they are turned they heat up and worp due to its not just trying to stop ur tires but ur trany as well wich makes them work extra as if it is a rear wheel drive it makes it easyer for ur breaks to work since it is not trying to stop ur trany and always ask if the break parts u are buying are primium or economy there is a big diff in price i myself would buy a good pad and cheap rotor since u still have to replace them when u change pads again

Giggle Squirt
07-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Just because your rotors are still "thick" dosn't mean that their is enough material left to machine. The rotors for vechicles have to be between certan measurements usually thousands of an inch to still be considered good. I would just suck it up and put the money out for new rotors because after you get them machined you will be replacing them in a few months because they will heat up and warp.

mboy67
07-09-2009, 02:01 PM
OK this is from a guy who has over 20 years in the trade. Rotors will not warp from being turned. If they are the original rotors first get them Mic'ed to see where they are. If they have enough material left them get them turned. Now some replacement rotors out there are made of cheap steal. it does not mater who makes them most are. weather premium or cheapo off shore one. They usually warp and after turning them they usually warp again a few months later. These type cost less and are best to be just replaced and never turned.

fenderbass
07-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Well let me add to this...If you consider what a shop will charge you to turn the rotors(if they can) and the time you have to wait for them.....This is my take on brakes and I do this for a living. On my own car and truck I use white box rotors and good pads. White box rotors will run about $20 to $40ish maybe a little more in some cases. In northern ontario with our winters rotors don't last..And if I turn a set of rotors for you, it will cost you around $50 plus tax...Not a big difference but you don't have to wait for them....As for rotors warping after machining, this is the nature of metal...it gets hot...it cools down...and if it cools down to fast then it warps..And the thinner the rotor then it will warp easier..The short of it, just buy new rotors and save in the long run.