PDA

View Full Version : Obama: No green light for Israel to attack Iran

Hans
07-07-2009, 08:35 PM
The United States is "absolutely not" giving Israel a green light to attack Iran, U.S. President Barack Obama told CNN Tuesday.

"We have said directly to the Israelis that it is important to try and resolve this in an international setting in a way that does not create major conflict in the Middle East," Obama said, referring to Iran's nuclear ambitions.

Obama has been in Moscow for a summit aimed at trying to reset the U.S.-Russian relationship.

On Sunday, U.S. Vice President Joe Biden appeared to leave the door open for Israel to attack Iran if it saw fit.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/07/07/obama.israel.iran/index.html

Last time I checked Israel was a sovereign nation and therefore can decide how to proceed without needing approval from anyone.

Slow
07-07-2009, 08:37 PM
If you don't think Israel has a hotline to the Whitehouse to ask permission on certain actions, then you must be from some political backwater, like Belgium or something.

Israel knows the US is their number one ally. They would naturally want to run some 'what if' scenarios by the administration, to get their feeling on what the US response would be. Israel is in the middle of a lion's den of hate, and know well they need US support.

That doesn't mean they would listen in every instance, but you can be damn sure the Washington response weighs heavily on any major Israeli military decision.

Hans
07-07-2009, 08:39 PM
You must mean know well.
Anyways, your President should not make statements that are embarrassing and undermining the sovereign authority of another nation.

Slow
07-07-2009, 08:40 PM
You must mean know well.
Anyways, your President should not make statements that are embarrassing and undermining the sovereign authority of another nation.

The VP made the statement, Hans.

Do you read the articles you post?

Hans
07-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Obama said Tuesday that Biden had simply been stating a fact, not sending a signal.

There you have it.

Slow
07-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Obama said Tuesday that Biden had simply been stating a fact, not sending a signal.

There you have it.

Well, what can I say, you and your fellow Canadians are more in love with that team than I ever will be.

Hans
07-07-2009, 08:45 PM
It's not a team if they don't make joint statements.

Slow
07-07-2009, 08:46 PM
It's not a team if they don't make joint statements.

Bingo! :)

Hans
07-07-2009, 08:51 PM
at what time?

KDawg
07-07-2009, 09:08 PM
The top U.S. military officer warned on Tuesday that time is running out for dialogue with Tehran to avoid either a nuclear-armed Iran (http://www.reuters.com/news/globalcoverage/iran) or a possible military strike against the Islamic Republic.

http://www.reuters.com/article/joeBiden/idUSTRE5666RM20090707

Whether it's Israel or the U.S., Iran has been put on notice.

Hans
07-07-2009, 09:10 PM
But the question is : do they care?

Slow
07-07-2009, 09:16 PM
But the question is : do they care?

Iran? I would think so.

You can talk all the bluster you want, but at the end of the day Iran knows damn well Israel and/or the US could take out its reactors.

I'm sure they are betting that Obama will be too weak to do so, and they may be right. But Israel only needs US approval, not bombs or planes. Israel has shown herself to be quite capable militarily.

The fact of the matter is this: Israel has learned to grow as tough a skin as can be, living amongst neighbors that crave her demise. Israel is ready to live in relative peace, but she will attack if she feels her safety is at stake.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has threatened, many times, to "wipe Israel off the map". That is all Israel should need, and if he continues with his nuclear program, then I say more power to Israel as they take his ambitious project down with numerous airstrikes.

Hans
07-07-2009, 09:18 PM
But the problem is what would happen if they take out an active reactor and cause a massive reactor leak. It would not be seen as a "good thing" by any nation, not even the US.