PDA

View Full Version : Gastric Bypass Update

Bill Nash
07-09-2009, 02:15 AM
How are all my fellow MGB er's doing (and all you R/Y er's as well!).

I am two and a half years out and living great, ..... lost 145 lbs.

I am playing pretty good golf lately, .... Couldn't get the clubs around my belly before ....

Sophie's_Mommy
07-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Thats awesome, congrats :)

Melanie Booker
07-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I am two and a half years out and living great, ..... lost 145 lbs.

holy cow! you lost a person!!

congratulations big guy, or should i say not so big guy..lol

Babzz
07-09-2009, 01:32 PM
I am feeling great at my goal.. Hoping the wieght loss stops now...

No regrets on the surgury though. We need to all get together for a bbq or something soon :)
Life is good!!!

Today is my one year anniversary.. woohoo

Bill Nash
07-10-2009, 02:12 AM
great to hear Babzz,.... Yeah, the BBQ idea sounds good, .... wait till we hear from more people and maybe we can get something going....

kitca
07-10-2009, 11:31 AM
yes, that sounds great too. i think im going to the potluck in bay city this year. but, there are so many of us mbg or rny in the soo it would be nice to have one too.

im doing really really good, no complaints at all. best decision of my life. i am just over 3 years out and maintaing my 100 lb loss. would have liked to have lost a bit more, but im happy and have no trouble, so far, maintaining. i feel like a new person, actually, i feel like my old self again, like those 10 years of being fat were in a costume or something.

nightingale
07-10-2009, 12:19 PM
holy smokes Babzz, that's amazing!!! Congrats!! I would love to see a pic!! ;)

Babzz
07-10-2009, 05:13 PM
I am on facebook nightengale..\
pm me if you want my addy. Many people walk by me now and do not know who I am lol

Bill Nash
07-10-2009, 07:18 PM
yes, that sounds great too. i think im going to the potluck in bay city this year. but, there are so many of us mbg or rny in the soo it would be nice to have one too.

im doing really really good, no complaints at all. best decision of my life. i am just over 3 years out and maintaing my 100 lb loss. would have liked to have lost a bit more, but im happy and have no trouble, so far, maintaining. i feel like a new person, actually, i feel like my old self again, like those 10 years of being fat were in a costume or something.

A costume, .... that's a good way of putting it! :)

Giggle Squirt
07-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Congrats on the success all of you! I just have a question of curiosity to all you, how obese does one have to be to be considered for the surgery?

KelBear
07-10-2009, 09:27 PM
you have to have a BMI of 40 or more.. or 35 with co-morbidities..

Babzz
07-11-2009, 12:53 AM
Who wants to host the BBQ together??
My place is humble, but willing to host or will attend if someone else wants to play the host :)

Bill Nash
07-11-2009, 02:13 AM
I would host one but I live too far for some people to attend. I would come to one of yours Babzz!

BAILEYDOG
07-11-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm three years out and am maintaining 125 pound loss. I would also like to meet for a BBQ and I can host it as I have a big yard.

kitca
07-14-2009, 06:21 PM
well, lets set a date! i guess between bailydog and babzz for who is hosting what is the best date for you guys?

Babzz
07-15-2009, 12:06 AM
The big yard is good for me Baily!!
What can I bring?? I make an awesome potato or macaroni salad.
I am good aside from the long weekend at the end of July beginning of august

Bill Nash
07-16-2009, 01:52 AM
I won't be available till mid August if you can wait that long, .....

kitca
07-16-2009, 08:39 AM
im the same as handyman, not till the middle of august

Babzz
07-16-2009, 08:43 AM
mid august is good for me too

Bill Nash
07-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Great, we'll return to this subject then and get something going .....

kitca
07-17-2009, 10:16 AM
what do you think is better, mid week or weekend? im thinking we are all so busy that mid week might be better because so many go away on weekends. also, its not like its going to be a big drunk late nite party or anything so it wont matter about going to work.

BAILEYDOG
07-17-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm fine with mid august too

Onnie
07-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Can someone give me some info on the process please? If my family doctor is cooling his heels, can I get a 2nd opinion? Can I go to a walk in clinic with the papers in hand. I already have a preference on where I would like to go. I have been researching for months now. Any input would be appreciated.

kitca
07-25-2009, 07:12 AM
i dont know. i was lucky that my dr. was onboard. however, she wiggled a bit here and there and i had researched everything and knew what i wanted and why and how and everything and it really helped being so well informed. there is a surgery group here in town, i think they have some facebook pages you can check out. most people are going to traverse city to munsion medical.

Bill Nash
07-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Can someone give me some info on the process please? If my family doctor is cooling his heels, can I get a 2nd opinion? Can I go to a walk in clinic with the papers in hand. I already have a preference on where I would like to go. I have been researching for months now. Any input would be appreciated.

Your family doc has to be on board with you. Most of them are uninformed. You can't go to a walk in clinic. We are thinking of having a BBQ in August for patients and prospectives. Come out to that and you will find out loads of info. Any questions, just post here.

Onnie
07-27-2009, 11:44 AM
I was on the OHIP website & it does say that you can have a walk in clinic doctor sign the papers. I was refered to Celebration Medical by my fam dr. The 1st appt is covered by OHIP but I can't afford to pay them for months of whatever. My BMI is 40.3. I wanna live! Does anyone know what this Celebration Medical place does? Is there a support group here?

Babzz
07-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Lets pick a date BailyDog :)
what is good day for you ?

Onni
Come to the bbq when we get it organized.. Lots of informative people will attend I am sure :)
Good luck

BAILEYDOG
07-28-2009, 04:17 AM
How does the 18th sound to everyone?

Bill Nash
07-28-2009, 07:58 PM
One week later and I can make it ,..... please!

BAILEYDOG
07-28-2009, 08:44 PM
25th or 26th work for me also.

Babzz
07-28-2009, 10:26 PM
works for me too

Bill Nash
07-29-2009, 02:12 AM
Great, .... pick one of those and I'll be there, .... thanks!!!

BAILEYDOG
07-29-2009, 01:24 PM
26th it is then

kitca
07-31-2009, 08:55 PM
oh good. is that wed. august 26th? that works for me too.

onni, i had a friend who went to celebration. the dr. there wants you to follow a strick regemine (sp?) of diet and exercise. if you follow it and still do not loose weight then she will help you with your weight loss surgery. i have heard that it isnt cheap. i think in 3 months the doctor said that my friend had a problem and she would assist her with surgery forms etc.

you can try a walk in clinic. if that is what ohip says, then keep trying. alot of us who have had the surgery had to jump through hoops to get it. doctors saying no, ohip saying no, doctors not bothering to sign the forms, lots of things. if you want it badly then keep at it. keep asking questions. go to the websites for the surgery you are getting and research and keep it up. most people in the soo go to traverse city, munson medical centre. there is also a support group of those folks who meet up. sorry, i dont have the information, but keep asking and someone will be able to give you the links.

Bill Nash
08-02-2009, 02:18 PM
26th it is then

We have to know were (address), time of day, and idea of what to bring. Do we need extra BBQ's? I guess PM's would work if you didn't want the entire SooNet showing up .... LOL

Konig-OV
08-04-2009, 01:07 PM
What types of weight loss can't diet and excercise fix? And if after sugery, will those problems still be there? I'm breaking 40BMI, but diet and exercise is much too hard.

Bill Nash
08-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Diet and exercise are historically and factually doomed to failure. 94% of diets fail, ... and the sucessful ones are generally the ones where the person wants to lose 10 or 20 pounds. When you want or need to lose 100 pounds or more (clinically obese), often weight lose surgery is the only answer.

Those that I know who have had some form of weight lose surgery (50+ people), have had good success with little complication. That is not to say there are not risks involved, but the skills and technology today has produced amazing results.

My sister-in-law has lost well over 100 pounds, my neice about 100 pounds, and personally, I have lost 130+ pounds. And to all the wise guys, .....no, obesity doesn't run in my family, but that is how you find out about this amazing procedure (through close friends).

Most family doctors are quite un-informed about weight lose surgeries. Doctors tent to give alot of hope and credit to diet and exercise. This is partially because they still see a lot of risk in weight lose surgery and don't like the liability if they recommend it. You have to educate yourself as much as possible to impress upon your doctor that this is the solution for you. When you begin to know more about it than your doctor (and that isn't hard to do), they tend to give that solution more value and will help you get set up to go ahead with the surgery.

The are dozens of different kinds of weight lose surgeries available, but the only two I would personally recommend are the Mini Gastric Bypass by Dr. Robert Rutledge in the U.S. (Las Vegas or Florida), or the Ruen-Y (sp?) Bypass done in several glasses in Michigan or in Ontario (quite a waiting time in Ontario).

The decision is a big one, but it is one that I would do again in a heartbeat. Good luck.

kitca
08-05-2009, 12:09 AM
me too! i wish i would have done it sooner. i would recommend it amillion times over. with surgery you have a permanent weight loss, not something that you fight and fight with. actually, i couldnt loose to save my life (literaly). for various reasons; medications, insulun resistance, etc. you just can not loose the weight. the surgery does it, and corrects the diabetes type 2, and alot of the other problems that come with obesity.

it is not a 'free card'. you still have to work at it, just like a regular person has to work at maintaining a normal weight. but, the surgery puts you on a level playing fiele with the 'normal' people. so it is 'doable' to lose and to maintain the weight loss. do some research into it, a google search will give you all knds of links. look into the good and the bad, the pros and the cons.. in the soo, most people get the RNY at munson medical in traverse city. the mini gastric bypass in vegas or florida is no longer covered by ohip (very unfortunate, it is the surgery that i had and think is wonderful, but the rny is still very good)

Lazlowe
08-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Has anyone had the stomach reduction done rather than bypass? If so, how has that worked for you? Bypass is out for me because of the supplements issue - cant take iron - make my arthritis go nuts.

Bill Nash
08-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Has anyone had the stomach reduction done rather than bypass? If so, how has that worked for you? Bypass is out for me because of the supplements issue - cant take iron - make my arthritis go nuts.

The mini gastric bypass includes a stomach reduction. Our stomachs are now the size of a salt shaker (but they do stretch slightly). The bypass is also done which reduces the amount of absorption. The two procedures combined gives you a quick but safe massive weight reduction that doesn't come back.

The R/Y procedure is not revearsable, but the mini gastric bypass is, although it is not done unless there are medical complications or your life is in danger.

We can still get lots of iron through eating the right things. I have reduced the supliments I take by eating properly. Something I haven't done in the past, but my surgery has forced upon me. Another plus for the surgery.

Babzz
08-13-2009, 01:36 PM
I also find that my taste buds are now different. I throughly enjoy fresh produce and protein.. I crave it!! For breakfast my standby of toast does not appeal to me at all. Its weird. Now I want left over chicken breast or something similar.. this morning I had soup an hour after I got up. I am cooking a lot more home prepared meals yet and am enjoying it. I do have to freeze a lot though. I eat all day for the most part. A bit at a time. Life is good!!!

Onnie
08-17-2009, 10:26 AM
I am still waiting on Ohip - this wait is brutal.

mboy67
08-23-2009, 04:57 PM
I just thought I would tell you all about My X who just celebrated Her one year since Surgery a few weeks ago and has lost 160lb's so far.

Broken
08-24-2009, 10:51 AM

OHIP is no longer paying for this.

Konig-OV
08-24-2009, 10:54 AM
We can still get lots of iron through eating the right things. I have reduced the supliments I take by eating properly. Something I haven't done in the past, but my surgery has forced upon me. Another plus for the surgery.

Would the surgery have been avoided if you had been eating healthier in the past? I am to lose 50lbs before I can be considered for any surgery.

Onnie
08-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Ohip most certainly is still paying for r n y. I know somone who got approved yesterday.

kitca
08-27-2009, 08:45 AM
oh yes, they are approving the rny, but no longer the mgb.

Bouffer
08-27-2009, 04:58 PM
i was wondering what is involved to get approved for ohip to cover the gastric sleeve surgery in traverse city. has anyone been through this? what are the steps once you have already see your doctor about it?

skibunnie64
08-27-2009, 10:58 PM
i was wondering what is involved to get approved for ohip to cover the gastric sleeve surgery in traverse city. has anyone been through this? what are the steps once you have already see your doctor about it?

From my understanding the gastric sleeve surgery is only approved on individual bases not everyone gets OHIP approval for this. I got this information last winter. Things may have changed since then. The gastric sleeve is a fairly newer procedure.

Bouffer
08-28-2009, 09:17 AM
It seems like the least complicated surgery, and recovery time is quicker. but thanks anyways.

Does anyone know what the form is called that you have to get your doctor to fill out?

Bill Nash
08-28-2009, 10:26 AM
You need the Out-Of_Country form from OHIP. You can download it from the Ontario Long Term Care website. Their office for out-of-country procedures is located in Thunder Bay.

Bill Nash
08-28-2009, 10:29 AM
It sounds like the Gastric sleeve is similar to the old banding surgery. If this is so, it is not a good idea, IMHO. The MGB or R/Y are the most effective and are not that difficult to recover from. Once they put you under and cut you open, the risks are relatively the same.

Onnie
09-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Well, I got my Ohip approval Aug 27th. I went to Barix in Ypsilanti, MI for my consult. I was very impressed with the facility & my surgeon, Dr. Taylor. I go for pre admission tests Sept 28th, then surgery Oct 8th. Woo hoo!!!

TheManInBlack
09-21-2009, 05:22 PM
My Granda in 2 months out and down 60 pounds. She's feeling great and eating well. She seems totally normal other than shes missing a WHOLE bunch of her

Bill Nash
09-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Good for granny, .... she will never regret it.

smilin08
12-03-2009, 03:35 PM

just starting the process can anyone let me know what im in for as far as the ohip wait? ive registered for the group consultation appointment in traverse city and my follow up with my dr just after that to have my out of country paper work completed....what am i missing to have this completed ASAP?

kitca
12-03-2009, 06:02 PM
there is a group here in town that have had or are having the traverse city surgery. i dont know the details of it, but if you could hook up with them then get lots of info from them.

are you going to traverse city for the group info? they do group info here in the soo too eh. i wonder if you contact munson medical in traverse city if they have the contact for the soo group or the dates when they are coming here again.