PDA

View Full Version : Voip

MaO3
07-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Hi guys

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not but I've just been called by a company called Telehop. They are offering VOIP for $14.99 a month. I've been with bell forever, and I know I"m paying way too much but I'm nervous about switching.

I also have Sympatico for my ISP. Does anyone have any feedback on this company, this system ?
Should I consider this? or not?

Thanks in advance.

Upper Decker
07-21-2009, 05:13 PM
I personally wouldnt go with voip myself. Any problems with your internet means problems with your phone service. Shaw digital phone is pretty cheap (not sure if the service is in your area). I had voip for about a month and disliked it quite a bit.

Andre
07-21-2009, 05:34 PM
I like sticking with my hardwired phone.
I switched my internet and phone over to Teksavvy.
It costs me $59.11 a month including taxes.
That's for 5MB Highspeed, phone keeping my same number, Call Display, and 2.9/minute anytime North America Long Distance and no contract.

It's about $20/month less than Bell was charging me plus no networking fees or any of the other crap fees they throw in.

I've heard of Telehop but I'm pretty sure you have to sign a 2 or 3 year contract.

MaO3
07-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I wasnt' convinced I wanted to do it, but the difference in cost is HUGE. $14.99 a month for all the services I have plus 100 minutes of long distance to canada and the us. Thats about a third of what I'm paying bell.

I might just check out Tecksavvy Andre - thanks

Upper Decker
07-21-2009, 06:33 PM
our shawphone is pretty cheap and so far has worked as well as a bell line. even with power outages and internet outages we still had phone service. I think we pay 31 and change a month for our phone with the call display and yadda with unlimited north american long distance and 1000 global minutes. Its been fun making prank calls to people around the world. Well language barriers seem to kill the fun.

PrairieDog43
07-22-2009, 01:46 AM
Try VOIP with Vianet.

I've got 5-meg DSL and VOIP phone with them. Costs me $65.15 including tax.
If you owned your modem, they take $5.00 off your bill. I do own my modem, but I'll keep their modem in case it breaks.
Probably the same deal with Teksavvy.

http://vianet.ca/