PDA

View Full Version : Pink Eye! - Again?

MaO3
07-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I can't figure out whats going on, my 20 year old has had three seperate bouts of Pink eye since the end of March. The first one lasted more than 2 weeks - with medication. His eye never looked quite the same - a little droopy sort of after it healed. Then he had a second occurance - about 6 weeks ago. Well he got up with it AGAIN this morning.

Anyone ever had this kind of thing happen? I've called and set up an appointment with the Eye doctor for Monday morning. Thats the quickest that they could see him, unless it worsens. But I'm becoming concerned that there must be some underlying cause of this.

Anyone?

SWRKR 01
07-23-2009, 12:43 PM
I can't figure out whats going on, my 20 year old has had three seperate bouts of Pink eye since the end of March. The first one lasted more than 2 weeks - with medication. His eye never looked quite the same - a little droopy sort of after it healed. Then he had a second occurance - about 6 weeks ago. Well he got up with it AGAIN this morning.

Anyone ever had this kind of thing happen? I've called and set up an appointment with the Eye doctor for Monday morning. Thats the quickest that they could see him, unless it worsens. But I'm becoming concerned that there must be some underlying cause of this.

Anyone?

Knowing him, he is peeking in the girl's change room..... ends up getting a finger poked in it.

No, I'm just teasing. Hope he feels better soon.

bluekrissyspikes
07-23-2009, 01:21 PM
he needs to disinfect his room, wash his hands more often and STOP touching his eyes. that's my theory anyways. sorry i cant be of more help.

Giggle Squirt
07-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Yep everything, from pillows, door ****s, steering wheel on the car (if he drives) sunglasses if he wears them, I had a friend who kept getting it from his girlfriend. If he wears contacts he should not wear a pair he wore while he was infected. My sister did that. Wore the same contacts she had in when she got infected.

mags
07-23-2009, 02:07 PM
I second what giggle squirt & bluekrisspikes say. If he wears contacts clean the case.

MaO3
07-23-2009, 02:38 PM
LOL SWRKR - you know him!!!

Seriously though this is brutal for him, last night he was fine got up with it again this morning. Its affecting his vision and his appearance. His eye nearly swells shut.

We're starting to wonder if it may be allergy related. Hopefully it won't get any worse before he sees the Optomitrist on Monday.
Thanks for the input guys.

PS he doesnt' touch his eyes, we just bought him new pillows etc...
I guess I'm just starting to think it maybe something other then typical "pink eye"

SWRKR 01
07-23-2009, 02:40 PM
You know, seriously, I do not know if I would wait till Monday if it is getting worse. Maybe stop in and see my cousin (you know who) at Shoppers in the Cambrian Mall and ask for some advice.

MaO3
07-23-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm thinking that tomorrow morning if its the same I'll call the optomitrist back. They told me if it worsened to call them and they would do their best to work him in. I'd rather not wait either. Of course we have drops from the last prescription - there were two bottles in the box, we started those at 6:30 this morning. They help with some of the pain that comes along with this - the irritation but really don't seem to help get rid of it.

SWRKR 01
07-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Well, not to cause undo alarm, but we want to be careful with the eyes. Besides, he won't be much use to me when I need him for work if he only has one eye. Bad enough I got to get him sober...LOL

No, I'm teasing, that has never happened.

MaO3
07-23-2009, 03:00 PM
LOL Tis true!!!

He can't go to work like this -- its too dangerous for him and the guys around him. If your vision is impaired.

Next week he goes to get his tonsills out so he'll be off work for that too.

SWRKR 01
07-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Geez...maybe we should put the old boy out to pasture....LOL

Giggle Squirt
07-23-2009, 04:21 PM
last time my hunny had pink eye, we just used the polysporin drops from the pharmacy and it cleared it up right away. I have personally never had it before, but everyone around me has had it. I know in cows when they get pink eye it can last 4-6 weeks and cause blindness in them. (lived on a farm) don't know if it is the same for humans.

Amaranth
07-23-2009, 04:38 PM
It certainly doesn't sound like it is just a regular case of conjunctivitis. My sister had something similar years ago. When it got so bad that she could not see at all she went to a walk-in clinic where she lives. That doctor told her to go to the ER. The ER had her see her optometrist and she had her see an opthamologist who found a tiny cyst on her inner, lower eyelid that was the culprit.

The second time it happened (a couple of years ago) she called her optometrist first and when she was told she had to wait a week to see her she called and called and called until she got an appointment later that day. She was referred to a new opthamologist (ours had retired) and he took care of it for her again. Anything that affects the vision doesn't seem like a common pink eye kind of thing to me; I get pink eye at least once a year (having so many people come into the office and all will do that no matter how much hand sanitizer I use!) I have never had my eye completely swell up before though. That must be terrible for him.

mags
07-23-2009, 04:45 PM
It is possible that somehow he keeps getting reinfected. Call your eye Dr if he can't get in there go to your family Dr. Or one of the walk in clinics. good luck!

MaO3
07-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Amaranth - thats my fear! I dont' think that this is a regular case of conjunctivitis either. The recurrance is a concern, but most of all the fact that neither of the prescription eyedrops did anything. The first time lasted more than 2 weeks, and he tells me today that his vision has not returned to normal from that. Damm kids - dont' like to go to doctors. GRrrrrrr

Well I'm going to insist that he see's the eye doctor tomorrow instead of Monday.

nightingale
07-23-2009, 11:05 PM
This doesn't sound like pink eye to me either. If it was, it would have spread to the other eye, especially being that it is this bad. Does it keep reoccurring to the same eye? Be sure that he gets in tomorrow! If not take him to the ER, this is really important to the health and sight of his eye. I'm really concerned for him, Ma.

MaO3
07-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Yes it is the same eye, every time. Thats why I don't believe its a simple case of pink eye. Tomorrow it is!!
Thanks nightingale - coming from you I'm convinced that he needs to be seen.

Keep you all posted.

Amaranth
07-24-2009, 02:02 AM
I understand how hard it is to get kids to go to the doctor. My oldest has been making excuses not to see a doctor lately (I think she has gall stones) so I am dragging her next week on her day off!

Hopefully they will figure it out tomorrow and he will get his vision back to normal. I can't imagine how that must be.

MaO3
07-24-2009, 11:16 AM
He has an appointment today at 1:45. Thankfully this eye doctor was willing to take him even though we aren't her patients.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome of the appointment.

SWRKR 01
07-24-2009, 11:22 AM
good to know. We're not going to camp, so drop me a line later and fill me in if you can?

MaO3
07-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Well heres the scoop, he went to the eye doctor who said it was "Absolutely NOT pink eye" she sent him to see a speciallist - Dr Mitchell? I think.
He's prescribed an anti-inflamitory and he has to go back and see him in three weeks. I'm not sure exactly what he's been given, he'll be home soon with it all for me to check out.

Thanks for the info guys!

mags
07-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Hope this works quickly for him.

SWRKR 01
07-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Well heres the scoop, he went to the eye doctor who said it was "Absolutely NOT pink eye" she sent him to see a speciallist - Dr Mitchell? I think.
He's prescribed an anti-inflamitory and he has to go back and see him in three weeks. I'm not sure exactly what he's been given, he'll be home soon with it all for me to check out.

Thanks for the info guys!

So I was right. The little beggar was peeping in the women's change rooms again, and the infection is caused by some finger nail polish from the girl who stuck a finger in his eye!

LOL

I knew It!!

nightingale
07-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Dr Mitchell is excellent. He is an ophthalmologist. My children see him. You have been sent to the right person. All will be well. :)

MaO3
07-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks nightingale, I'm glad I pushed the issue. I feel much better knowing that he's being treated properly and isn't in endangering his vision.

Between you and SWRKR both saying what I felt, I knew that he needed to be seen by someone other than than a GP.

b&aMom
07-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Has he had a virus when this was going on? I've been the pink eye queen throughout my life...some viral (caught it in the hospital when I had my tonsils out at 7), some bacterial, routinely in the spring and fall (allergy related I guess). When my daughter had chicken pox, I thought she had pink eye, too. Took her to the doc...nope, some viruses will affect the eyes, too, and that's what it was...chicken pox causing the pink eye red-eye. First I'd ever heard of it.

Hope your son's issue is nothing serious, and clears quickly.

MaO3
07-27-2009, 10:40 AM
They believe its a virus, but what, we're not sure. He's going to the doctor for some screening to rule out a few things. Dr. Mitchell thought that with the drops it would clear up. It has very quickly actually, but we're still going to get him into the doctor for some routine tests -- just to be on the safe side.