PDA

View Full Version : Plum Tree.

Bob Toe
07-24-2009, 02:12 PM
I have new neighbours moving in when they are done renovating. They planted a "good luck" plum tree in the front yard a couple of weeks ago and all, at least most of the leaves have turned brown. I put a 1/2 gal. of water on the tree every few days and have put a vigoro spike in the ground next to it. Is there anything else I can do to help this little tree survive?

Xzavia
07-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Yikes....not bringing them much luck is it?

We just planted some apple trees about a month or so ago, when we got them they guy told us to make sure we put some bone meal in around the roots. Apparently it helps to get nutrition to the roots rather than just putting it in the ground and shocking it from the sudden change.

The trees went on to flower and now one has apples on it as well, the other looks healthy but no apples. (I went out and did the bees job with a q-tip since they didn't seem to be coming around much and we wanted to make sure it got done....I did from one tree to the other but never went back to the first tree....my bad.)

Bone Meal is a fertilizer, you may be able to sprinkle some on the ground right above the roots and saturate the ground so it seeps into the roots.

NewCasa
07-24-2009, 09:30 PM
I'd pull the fertilizer spike - you may be killing it with kindness. Once you've done that give it a really good watering to wash down the fertilizer. Xavia is dead on about bone meal - that's pretty inert so it won't burn the roots, but it has some good things in it to enhance root growth. Right now that's all that matters is root growth. The leaves are a definite indication that the trees 'feet' are in something harmful.

Also, you might want to get your soil checked. I know MNR used to check soil samples for Ph, etc. and that'd give you a reading on exactly what your tree needs. Runs in my mind that plums like sandy loam, but I'd check it out with someone like New North - they'll know for sure.

Bob Toe
07-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks folks. I will pull the fertilizer spike to-morrow and try the bone meal. I am not sure if my new neighbour used some around the roots. NoCasa, that's me alright. Too kind.
Thanks for the help.

yoda
07-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Your new neighbours are lucky to be moving next to you!

NewCasa
07-24-2009, 11:59 PM
Your new neighbours are lucky to be moving next to you!

Agreed :)

kitca
07-25-2009, 07:16 AM
Agreed :)

definatly!!

i wonder if it needs a bit more water, if the soil is on the dry side i would give it a gallon a day. making sure the water stays in the root area, and doesnt drain too far away.

Bob Toe
07-25-2009, 12:40 PM
That plum tree got a ton of water last night. I tried to pull the fertilizer spike out of the ground but it had turned to mush. I sprinkled some bone meal around the base of the tree. Let's keep our fingers crossed.