PDA

View Full Version : Digital converter or antenna?

yoda
08-05-2009, 11:34 AM
which do I need to buy to receive the US channels, or do I need both?

Upper Decker
08-06-2009, 01:34 PM
for just over the air channels? Im pretty sure you will need both.

yoda
08-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks Fudd Rucker. I thought I read about it on this site but was unable to find the thread. I was across the river on Tues and I found the digital antenna but they were out of converters. The salesman didn't sound sure of himself when I asked him what I needed to receive the channels. I'll check back next week to see if they have the converters in

icecapp
08-12-2009, 04:45 AM
Thanks Fudd Rucker. I thought I read about it on this site but was unable to find the thread. I was across the river on Tues and I found the digital antenna but they were out of converters. The salesman didn't sound sure of himself when I asked him what I needed to receive the channels. I'll check back next week to see if they have the converters in

why would you just not go to the future shop here, I know they sell the converters here... My mother in law boughts hers here for 50 dollars.. Months ago even before the switch as she wanted to be ready and with exchange, and bridge far, it was cheaper over here as there coupons across to save x amout of dollars do not work for canadian customers....

THEY are a PAIN IN THE Adouble S..............switching back and forth, Now she has bought a new vcr that I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it to work unless I hook up through the old vcr.... To just hook up the coax cable like the atenna in atenna out deal.. WE DONT get a pic..... errrrrrrrrrrr

end of my vent.

p.s I am for shopping over there US..... but Like I said I know in the long run they are cheaper over here... P.S. the first box my MIL bought was also a DUD it did not work.

Upper Decker
08-12-2009, 10:34 AM
not being a ****, but if hooking up a vcr is still a problem you shouldnt be giving tech advice....

icecapp
08-12-2009, 12:00 PM
ok smart ass....... want a try at it? Id challange ya.... cause i can hook it back up the same way as the other vcr and get nothing.. I can hook it up through rca cables and get nothing, I can hook it up through s video and get nothing? im not a total dummy....

yoda
08-13-2009, 06:29 AM
Thanks. I'll stop at future shop today

403_forbidden
08-25-2009, 03:48 PM
You don't need a "special digital" antenna. If you have an antenna just hook it up to your digital converter (or newer HD/digital TV) and enjoy the over air digital channels. My friend hooked his new TV up to the antenna that has been on his roof for years (probably over 10 years) and he was getting the U.S. digital channels.....

Shawn
08-26-2009, 04:39 PM
You either need to have a ATSC Tuner on your tv, almost all new tv's have this, most older tv's have NTSC tuners which will not work. If you have an ATSC tuner you can plug the antenna right in and get the channels. If you have NTSC then you would need a converter box hooked to the antenna to get the channels. You would have to check your tv's owner manual to find out what tuner you have.

icecapp
08-27-2009, 11:03 PM
You either need to have a ATSC Tuner on your tv, almost all new tv's have this, most older tv's have NTSC tuners which will not work. If you have an ATSC tuner you can plug the antenna right in and get the channels. If you have NTSC then you would need a converter box hooked to the antenna to get the channels. You would have to check your tv's owner manual to find out what tuner you have.

Thanks shawn.. we went through all this.