PDA

View Full Version : When to let daughter shave...

Jackie B
08-09-2009, 01:05 PM
My older daughter is 9 years old. She has all the symptoms of puberty. Breast development, armpit hair, body odor, pimples, etc. She is also 5' tall, and is 120 pounds. She is the only dark haired child I have, and is quite hairy. She is quite embarassed by her leg hair and started asking me at the beginning of this season to shave. I have been opposed to it before 12, but my husband said he doesn't mind. I was thinking about not worrying about it for this season, since it's almost over, (we really haven't had any shorts weather anyway) and maybe revisiting it around her birthday next April. What are your thoughts on this?

Luv'inLife
08-09-2009, 01:29 PM
my daughter started shaving at 9, I figured if she was embarrassed it had to go. your never too young to learn to take care of yourself and besides girls do not need any more reasons for low self esteem.

Melanie Booker
08-09-2009, 01:55 PM
i agree. if it's causing her embarassment why not let her do it? it's a delicate age, anything that makes girls feel 'different' from their friends is a huge deal to them.
don't sweat teh small stuff ;) what's the big deal letting her do it a few months earlier if it'll make her feel better about herself.

chase_me
08-09-2009, 02:28 PM
I would def let her do it and jackie it is supposed to get hot around mid this month and last til like sept or oct so i would tell her that if she is comfortable with teh idea that she can go ahead.

Amaranth
08-09-2009, 02:38 PM
My oldest daughter was nine when she started shaving her legs. Her leg hair was very thick (not too dark though) and it was embarrassing for her. My husband was against it but then again he has never been a young girl with hair on her legs. So I shaved them for her, showing her how to do it and then left her to do it herself. My other girls were probably 10 or 11 when they started shaving their legs (they are blonde so it was not as noticeable).

Luv'inLife
08-09-2009, 03:49 PM
and you can buy the razors now with the safety wire so they don't get cut.

Peety
08-09-2009, 04:33 PM
I would let her..
If she asking and it bothers her..

Sweet Little Sister
08-09-2009, 08:07 PM
my oldest had to shave her armpits in grade one! i was shocked when she asked me then showed me the hair. she didn't even know it was there until a kid beside her laughed at her one day when she raised her and they saw the hair..lol
she's 11 now and needs to do it all the time.
i shaved her legs over a year ago (she was almost 10) the hair was fair but lots of it..it did not grow back thicker or darker at all..she just asked me last week if she could do it again..it hasn't been done since that first time.

bluekrissyspikes
08-09-2009, 09:56 PM
i'd let her. my parents wouldn't let me shave when i got hairly legs and i got made fun of and did it anyway, but i ended up cutting myself and leaving a scar since no one showed me how to do it. lots of the kids are using nair now. it takes longer to grow back and isn't as dangerous. also, you can still cut yourself on those safety razors. my daughter has hairy armpits but she got insulted when i asked her if she wanted me to teach her how to shave them, so she can stay hairy..lol

dancingqueen
08-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Sorry, but how can you even be wondering?
Is shaving harmful if she is taught how to do it right?
Are you the one that has to go out with your friends with hairy legs?
I'm sure your intentions are all good, but take this kind of situation into perspective.

kitca
08-09-2009, 11:50 PM
i sont think its a biggie either. our daught used our bathrbub raizor and shaver her arms and legs before we even realized. it does mean alot to them. she also needed deoderant in gr. 1. the3y are growing up so fast.

Jackie B
08-09-2009, 11:54 PM
I understand what you are saying. There's no harm in shaving if done correctly. Both my sister and I shaved before we had permission and cut ourselves. Me on my ankle bone area, and her behind the knee. I guess I was more concerned with age appropriateness. I don't want her to grow up too fast, or allow her to get caught up in things that are meant for teenagers and adults. But the general consensus is to go for it, and my hubby thinks it's fine as well. I am going to have one happy little girl tomorrow. :)

Amaranth
08-09-2009, 11:59 PM
i'd let her. my parents wouldn't let me shave when i got hairly legs and i got made fun of and did it anyway, but i ended up cutting myself and leaving a scar since no one showed me how to do it. lots of the kids are using nair now. it takes longer to grow back and isn't as dangerous. also, you can still cut yourself on those safety razors. my daughter has hairy armpits but she got insulted when i asked her if she wanted me to teach her how to shave them, so she can stay hairy..lol

Two of my daughters use Nair. They are both clumsy so it is for the best anyway lol. Then I have one daughter who says it smells bad (she can't stand certain smells and gags when anyone uses it) and one who's allergic. Nair is a lot more gentle than it used to be (I can use it now, yay! lol).

Anyway, some parents ask if they should let their daughters shave because when we were kids, it WAS a BIG deal. I have no idea why. But girls are starting puberty younger now and it really is a hit to the self-esteem for pretty little girls to be called names because they have hairy legs. My oldest cried and cried but her dad kept saying she couldn't shave her legs. I understand what it is to be a young, self-concious girl and once my empathy kicked in I shaved her legs for her the first time.

$Spendbender$
08-10-2009, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't encourage kids to use nair-type products. I mean, everyone is different, but I can't use the stuff. It's toxic, burns the skin and smells HORRIBLE!!!

Buy her her own cute little electric razor. It's safer and it's almost impossible to cut yourself with it. You can get ones that are fairly inexpensive (when you consider the cost of repeatedly buying disposables at $8 bucks for a pack of 4!!)

She's not really going to get a super-close shave with it, but hey, she's 9..lol

icecapp
08-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Spender I like the way you think..

p.s anyways.. my son right now is stuck on infamercials (sp) well he really likes the smooth away product slap chop, bumpits etc all the comerical products lol . well we were across the river the other night at wall mart and he seen the product aswell as bumpits, slap chop etc..

well I figured what the hell.. I purchased smooth away now it does suggest your hair be less then 1/4 inch in length.. well mine was longer I used this product and all I can say IS WOW!!

best 9 buxs I have ever spent.. it works great and your legs get a great message out of the deal aswell..

SMOOTH AWAY for a young girl would be great.. it looks like a mit with a pad on it.. its not course nothing.. but it does work.

bluekrissyspikes
08-23-2009, 04:18 PM
nice. i was wondering if that thing actually worked. do you think our walmart would have it too?

HDV
08-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Spender I like the way you think..

p.s anyways.. my son right now is stuck on infamercials (sp) well he really likes the smooth away product slap chop, bumpits etc all the comerical products lol . well we were across the river the other night at wall mart and he seen the product aswell as bumpits, slap chop etc..

well I figured what the hell.. I purchased smooth away now it does suggest your hair be less then 1/4 inch in length.. well mine was longer I used this product and all I can say IS WOW!!

best 9 buxs I have ever spent.. it works great and your legs get a great message out of the deal aswell..

SMOOTH AWAY for a young girl would be great.. it looks like a mit with a pad on it.. its not course nothing.. but it does work.

Funny you mentioned this, my wife bought one and i said , why are you wasting 10 bucks on this crap its just sandpaper..well she used it and her legs were smoother then if she used my mach 4 razor and her legs stay smooth for about a week -week and a half before she has to use it again. They have smaller ones too that come with the package for underarms, bikini line, facial hair. the thing really does work. They have extra pads that go on it too, so when one is worn away you unstick it and stick a new one on. I asked her and she said one pad does the job 3 times. Then she has to switch to a new pad.

lk_wicked
09-14-2009, 10:19 PM
I just bought it for my daughter at zellers, right at the register. no need to go to USA and its 15. bcks here. and yes, its a self esteem issue, let her shave, other kids are cruel and will tease. just remind her not to do her arms, as it will come in thicker. SOmetimes when they are young, they think they should shave everthing. no arms, just arm pits and legs. lol

Misschix
09-15-2009, 10:00 AM
I just bought it for my daughter at zellers, right at the register. no need to go to USA and its 15. bcks here. and yes, its a self esteem issue, let her shave, other kids are cruel and will tease. just remind her not to do her arms, as it will come in thicker. SOmetimes when they are young, they think they should shave everthing. no arms, just arm pits and legs. lol

I used to be very self concious about hair on my arms...
So I shaved them a few times....
I rarely like maybe 3 times a year shave my arms anymore...for some reason the hair doesnt grow there anymore...since i had kids...
So im pretty happy about that lol

Butterfly~Kisses
09-16-2009, 12:37 AM
my 10 year old also asked if she could start shaving her legs this summer and I didnt make a big deal about it, I just let her. She is dark haired and had more hair on her legs then on her head..lol. I always wanted to say something but thought if she didnt mind then it was none of my business to say anything to her about it and have the wrong reaction from her. She's also on a sporting team and has realized she needs a bra this year. Where has the time gone? I am just happy that she came to me and not just did it and risk an infection or something by using a random razor laying around that could be contaminated from being old.