PDA

View Full Version : XBox 360 Freezing!

GoldDogs
08-09-2009, 07:18 PM
It has never done this before but since getting Grand Theft Auto it keeps freezing! it is really annoying! Does anybody know what is causing this?

Upper Decker
08-09-2009, 07:22 PM
possibe overheating problem. is it an older generation console?

GoldDogs
08-09-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't think so, we bought like, maybe 2 months ago if even that.

GoldDogs
08-09-2009, 07:31 PM
How do I keep it from over heating??

BrAt
08-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Keep it standing up in an open space. You can also buy fans for them at WalMart. I think they're about $20.

DeleteAccout
08-11-2009, 04:42 AM
Is it only freezing when you play Grand Theft Auto? If so you have a corrupt disk. It happens quite frequently with the gmes that you get with your system. They're mass produced, and aren't all tested. Try playing other games in the console to see if you can reproduce the freezing. If it doesn't happen again, try to replace the disc if you still have warranty, or sad to say, you'll need to replace it yourself >.<

If the system does in fact lock up again, feel around back of the system and see if the temperature is abnormally hot. The #1 cause of system lock up is overheating. This can be corrected by something as simple as placing the unit on an open area with good airflow. When stuck in a confined area, they tend to suck up dust in the rear vents causing the clogging of the holes needed to circulate airflow. Look in the vents. If you see a lot of gunk, pick up a can of compressed air ( 2.99 - 3.99 or so at Staples ) and try to clear it out.

If all else fails, 1-800-4-MY-XBOX. Technical support isn't half bad there. You automatically get 1 year of warranty on your system. Free replacements if it's nothing you did to cause it ( i.e spilling a drink, abuse and so forth ) You don't come across to me as a system kicker =)

Best of luck Yorkie =)

PS, Worst case scenario, you wait 2-3 days fopr a white box to arrive. It ships VERY fast from the MS Depots. You then pack your system in the box. Make sure there's no disc in the drive, no power cords or VGA cords, NO HARD DRIVE ! As they will NOT replace these items if you leave it on there. Also, if you have a custom faceplace, remove it. They will more than likely give you a refurbished system. Takes about 6-14 days on average from begining to end. ( For me anyways )

God .... can I ever stop being a techie?

DeleteAccout
08-11-2009, 04:43 AM
Keep it standing up in an open space. You can also buy fans for them at WalMart. I think they're about $20.

Standing up or laying down. Doesn't matter as long as it's on a right angle. If you have it at an odd angle, you're going to damage your discs almost immediately ( I've been there sadly )

BrAt
08-11-2009, 09:53 AM
That's a given. I was just saying to stand it up because that usually makes it retain less heat as there is less of the system on the surface.

No matter.. if it's 2 months old and overheating, return it and get a new one. :)

DeleteAccout
08-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Agreed =)

B.David
08-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Chris, Microsoft is allegedly no longer shipping out the 'coffin' to the consumer, and shipping to the repair center is totally on us.

My buddy's system started to go on him with DRE's at 7 months old, and he just swapped it with a new one and re-sealed the box last night. :)

Freezing is just the start of a dying system at times. I really doubt it's a 'corrupt' disc, as the odds of receiving a bad pressing is simply so low As you said, I'd wait to see if it freezes with any other games though, at least games that are intense of pushing the 360 to its limits. As for placing the system standing up, it's not recommended by Microsoft techs at (800) 4MY XBOX... and even my buddy did that with his, and ended up with a few scratched discs.

BrAt
08-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Hmm.. wonder why they would put "padded feet" there then. I thought they would be there to stand it up. Especially since that is how the pictures of them are on everything. Odd.

B.David
08-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah, they put padded feet because they say it can operate safely that way. Microsoft also claims that there is under 7% failure rate in 360 consoles.

Tormented Soul, what do you think the failure rate is? I believe you almost hit 10 replacements from Microsoft.

Microsoft doesn't mind if your 360 damages the disc. If it occurs, you can get a replacement for a mere $23.50 CDN.

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/gamesandmedia/games/discreplacement/DiscReplacementPlan.aspx

BrAt
08-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Ya, it's the failure rate something like 30%? Insane!

DeleteAccout
08-13-2009, 05:10 PM
I know the failure rate is high on them. I didn;t say that it wasn't. I myself went through 5 er so before I finally sold it and stopped gaming.

Iverson3k
08-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Them not sending you a box is a lie... Because like a week ago I sent one off and made them send me two boxes... Just tell them the internet part isnt working for you...
As far as system freezing you can try resetting the cache... Google it and Im sure you will find it somewhere... Im too lazy to go into details on how to do it.

Iverson3k
08-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Im on my 6th console by the way and own two now incase one breaks :/