PDA

View Full Version : Source? Link?

Calis
08-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Well, I've a question since I see those two words on here way too often. Who decides if a source is valid? One person may lol at one source saying it's not reputable, where another may think its totally valid.

So, what sources do you find reputable, and which do you find to be totally false or biased?

Konig-OV
08-14-2009, 09:32 AM
You have to fill out an application with Slow. From there he will deem it worthy or not. You can post from a newspaper, he will deny it, then post a Youtube video for a source (See Charitable Contributor thread and his Youtube source).

NewCasa
08-14-2009, 09:49 AM
It is just another tactic to devolve what may have been a useful and interesting discussion into an over-wordy, meaningless arguement about whose is bigger. Regardless of the source / link, the inevitable outcome of the discussion will be the words 'I win!' usually stated after some digression or another from the stated main topic.

In real, sincere discussion there can be a point to it, however I prefer to watch for the words 'they say' and then ask who 'they' are?

SSMP
08-14-2009, 11:06 AM
I think the most important thing is to actually read the article, read to understand. Then if you think that the source is not reliable then check around, see if the information can be corroberated(sp). I have seen very interesting articles from some sites which usually spew garbage and some articles from sites I thought were good and the article turned out to be rubbish.
The main thing is to check and to read to understand.

KDawg
08-14-2009, 01:26 PM
I think the most important thing is to actually read the article, read to understand. Then if you think that the source is not reliable then check around, see if the information can be corroberated(sp). I have seen very interesting articles from some sites which usually spew garbage and some articles from sites I thought were good and the article turned out to be rubbish.
The main thing is to check and to read to understand.

Actually reading the article is a point lost on some. However, what you say is true, SSMP. Also, dissecting the words in the article vs. slamming the author is also important. Just because you don't like, or disagree with an author most other times, doesn't make what they say in any certain instance automatically suspect -- until you dissect their words and check facts.

Slow
08-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Well, I've a question since I see those two words on here way too often. Who decides if a source is valid? One person may lol at one source saying it's not reputable, where another may think its totally valid.

So, what sources do you find reputable, and which do you find to be totally false or biased?

Opinions are fine. Opinions with no foundation are junk.

If someone wants to come on here and state something as unequivocal fact, then it should be sourced. That is just common sense.

Of course not everything need be sourced. We do not need a source if you say the sky is blue, that we need food to survive, or that Slow is the most intelligent person in here...these things are all widely accepted as truth.

And my source/link? common sense and common scholastic courtesy.

Slow
08-14-2009, 02:50 PM
then post a Youtube video for a source (See Charitable Contributor thread and his Youtube source).

From the guy that told me his source for the "fact" that Americans are doing home surgeries was to type in "cyst removals" on You Tube

LOL!!!

:) :)

Konig-OV
08-14-2009, 04:03 PM
From the guy that told me his source for the "fact" that Americans are doing home surgeries was to type in "cyst removals" on You Tube

LOL!!!

:) :)

How much proof do you want, other than people actually doing it? Also this comes from the guy who used www.northpole.com as a valid source.