PDA

View Full Version : what to pack for the hopsital...

Giggle Squirt
08-14-2009, 07:02 PM
I am a habitual over packer. Horriable..I never want to be without anything that I might need. I should really really really get a bag put together soonish and was wondering what other *real* people packed to get ideas. I konw the internet has tons of lists but I was just wondering what you packed. So far I have
-a bag of diapers for the hospital. We are going to cloth diaper but I figured that disposables will be easier in the hospital.
-tooth paste/shampoo/toothbrush/soap/toilet paper... yes I hate using the tissue paper they have in the hospital...
-some pj pants/tshirts/socks/undies
-camera

I am under strict instructions that my hospital bag must not look like I am moving out. :(

bluekrissyspikes
08-14-2009, 07:57 PM
the hospital has diapers.

i packed those things, deoderant, moisturizer(it's dry there), slippers are important, an outfit to go home in, a sweater, my own pillow, vitamins, snacks cause i'm always hungry while i'm there and the food is yucky. you might want to bring something to entertain you as well...then for baby i brought a good bum cream, and wipes. then hubby brought in later a couple different sized outfits for going home in, some bigger receiving blankets for swaddling and i think that's it.

Giggle Squirt
08-14-2009, 08:25 PM
With my fist son he was in the NICU for a week and then discharged from the NICU and I was only in the hospital for one day. My second son, I was in the hospital for 3 days and he was in the NICU for 2 days, once he was in my room they told me I needed to provide the diapers for him. I always forget slippers. I usually bring my laptop and movies to keep me amused. I can never sleep in the hospital either so I bring some reading material too.

A*lil*Loopy
08-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Hairbrush/hair bands wasn't on your list. Also lip balm because of the dry air, and Wet Ones Antibacterial so you can wipe your hands after snacks, etc.

If you are afraid of having your bag too full, arrange for someone else to run you in a "just-in-case bag" with those extras that you can probably live without but will be more comfortable with. When someone I know is in the hospital I make up a little bag for them because they usually weren't ready to go in.
This is what I put in: Hairbrush, shampoo, lotion, hand wipes, lip balm, kleenex, crosswords with pencil, M&Ms or other snack and then I try to find out if I can arrange tv for them depending on the situation. I try to customize for each person, last one I sent little toys and some art supplies.

Good luck and remember that half of the stuff you have the urge to take you most likely won't have time to use anyway so don't sweat it.

bluekrissyspikes
08-14-2009, 11:25 PM
if you are planning on breast feeding you might want to bring a pump to get the milk going and something uncase you get sore there.

Giggle Squirt
08-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Good plan, I am still trying to figure out what kind to buy. The first one I got with my first son was junk. I got a semi good electric one for my second but it broke like 2 weeks into using it. I ended up renting a medela and loved it. I am willing to put out the money for a good one, but i was wondering if the "off the shelf" medela pumps are as good as the rentals. I guess I really should of started all of this earlier...

bluekrissyspikes
08-15-2009, 01:13 AM
i dunno. i always just use a cheapo one from zellers. works good once you figure out the right technic. of course, a more expensive one is probably better but i'm cheap..lol. i didn't pack till i was in labour so at least you are getting started. my contractions were 5 minutes apart and i was looking for extra socks and making sure all the dishes were done.

Peety
08-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Try not to forget the bag in the panic..

HDV
08-15-2009, 01:19 PM
When my wife went in to the hospital to have our daughter she over packed. We brought diapers, wipes, lotions and soap (baby) , body wash (hers) shampoos(hers) toothbrush, deodorant. Pjs, her own pillow ( she can not sleep without her feather pillow :rollseyes: ),swaddling blanket, baby clothes, hand mittens for the baby, clothes for my wife, laptop,toothpaste, slippers, I think that is about it. I may be forgetting something but you have a idea anyway. We did bring our own diapers and wipes but we never used them because the hospital provided them. We did use our own wipes because the hospital ones suck. They are just a cloth you have to wet. She breastfeed but we did bring formula with us in case her milk did not come in that well. but the hospital provides formula anyway and encourages you to use theirs and their diaper ect..the nurse said may as well and save yours for home.. h and we brought a soother for the baby , but she has never been a fan of it since birth. Thank god.

I went out to get her timmys downstairs, food cause the hospital food sucked. I stayed with her and the baby 24/7. They had a chair/bed for me so i was able to sleep there with them as well, I was very happy about that.
Thats about it...
We did pack a lot like I said but she used everything we packed. Laptop is nice to have there, when baby slept we watched movies and whatnot.

I do have to thank Chase me , she came in and hooked our tv up for us free of charge :)

verotik66
09-02-2009, 05:21 PM
i dunno. i always just use a cheapo one from zellers. works good once you figure out the right technic. of course, a more expensive one is probably better but i'm cheap..lol. i didn't pack till i was in labour so at least you are getting started. my contractions were 5 minutes apart and i was looking for extra socks and making sure all the dishes were done.

they have a mechanical breast pump(s) at the hospital, i would pack a book or two or laptop and some movies, some magazines.

if you are sitting there with the new one sleeping on you it's hard to do too much we went through a couple of paperbacks

$Spendbender$
09-02-2009, 05:30 PM
the hospital has diapers.

i packed those things, deoderant, moisturizer(it's dry there), slippers are important, an outfit to go home in, a sweater, my own pillow, vitamins, snacks cause i'm always hungry while i'm there and the food is yucky. you might want to bring something to entertain you as well...then for baby i brought a good bum cream, and wipes. then hubby brought in later a couple different sized outfits for going home in, some bigger receiving blankets for swaddling and i think that's it.

Jeeze..she's going in to have a baby, not going on an Alaskan Cruise...lol

You're only going to be there for 48 hours at best (I was both times) only 36 hours the second time.

You go in, give birth, sleep, get up, feed the baby, sleep, get up, feed the baby, sleep, get up feed the baby and go home.

The baby needs a change of clothes. All you need is some shampoo and clean granny underwear.

nightingale
09-02-2009, 06:23 PM
lol!!!!!!!!

verotik66
09-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Jeeze..she's going in to have a baby, not going on an Alaskan Cruise...lol

You're only going to be there for 48 hours at best (I was both times) only 36 hours the second time.

You go in, give birth, sleep, get up, feed the baby, sleep, get up, feed the baby, sleep, get up feed the baby and go home.

The baby needs a change of clothes. All you need is some shampoo and clean granny underwear.

you never know how long you are going to be there, I hope no complications and you are out quick, but pack what you need just in case you are in for a few days

bluekrissyspikes
09-04-2009, 02:11 PM
i had no complications this time and i was still there 3 days. depending on the babies doctor i guess. some want you to stay until your milk has come in fully. others will send you home right away. my three year old was there 6 days because he wouldn't cry even though he was eating okay and alert when awake. so 36 hours is pretty good.

$Spendbender$
09-08-2009, 11:11 AM
i had no complications this time and i was still there 3 days. depending on the babies doctor i guess. some want you to stay until your milk has come in fully. others will send you home right away. my three year old was there 6 days because he wouldn't cry even though he was eating okay and alert when awake. so 36 hours is pretty good.

Well, there were no medications to come down off of and no complications. It was New Year's Eve and I had another 3 year old at home, so I was kinda in a hurry to leave..lol

I'd have left the same day if they had let me.:wink:

Butterfly~Kisses
09-08-2009, 11:01 PM
I had my baby 5 months ago and it was amazing what I had to pack. I am in Southern Ontario. I had to pack diapers, wipes, toothpaste, toothbrush, pillow, clothes for both of us, a pen, PADS!!! for the love of Pete do not forget pads!! they refused to give me any, make sure they are the thick Kotex kind extra long, toilet paper, hand sanitizer.
You will probly only be there for 24 hours but bring like 4-5 pairs of underwear.. granny style, snacks and drinks. Dont forget blankets and going home clothes and a 5 point car seat, oh and a hat and mitties.