PDA

View Full Version : Gall stones..remove or Gall Bladder?

Wrangler35
08-15-2009, 03:31 PM
From your experience..or from a reliable source:what are the pros and cons of having gall stones removed or having the bladder re-moved..??

If a doctor shedules you to have the bladder re-moved..why was there NO consideration to take out or re-move the gall stones??

If a person or Doctor says:there is NO sense of re-moviing the gall stones because:they will ONLY come back or rather grow back in a short time..Insinuating like two yrs or SO..If you are 55 yrs of age...and it took 55 yrs for them to get there...where are they coming from?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????////

Please..all relevant info is needed and appreciated..A person is scheduled to have a bladder re-moved...all info submitted will be seriously considered,and further a decision.rendred! Thanks in Advance..

NO liability on any-ones part for giving info..A serious question only!

DM46
08-15-2009, 03:33 PM
My guess would be if the doctor thinks it's right to remove the bladder, it's probably whats best. My grandmother had hers taken out and she is fine.

Bluesky
08-15-2009, 03:36 PM
I think the only side effect of removal is that there are certain foods (like greasy foods) that you may have difficulty with. I know some people who had their gall bladder who can still eat anything and everything, and others have to watch their diet..

A*lil*Loopy
08-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Get it removed, it's not worth risking the pain again and again.
Relatively simple procedure, a few little scars on the belly and viola, no more agonizing gall bladder pain. Why risk it happening again? You could end up with a severe infection as my son did, he hurt like hell and they waited too long to operate (Family Dr. failed to call us with test results so we thought things were ok.), we could have lost him. He was full of infection and had only had a couple of attacks. I'm not a big fan of risking your life.

It may be that once you are prone to getting the stones, you may end up getting them more frequently as bodies do change over the years. 25 or 55, it doesn't matter, it's a common thing to have unfortunately.

Good luck with decisions and hopefully you arrive at the best one for you.

Amaranth
08-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Gall stones are different than say, kidney or bladder stones. In my case, as my surgeon told me, they turned to "sludge". The stones gets infected as well. In my father's case his gallbladder turned gangrene! A gallbladder is not 100% needed (although it does do some filtering, etc) so once a person has stones and the doctors feel it is necessary the entire organ is removed. I have not had my gall bladder for about four years now. No big deal, except I cannot drink more than two drinks lol. If I drink more than a couple of drinks I get violently ill now but I can live with that.

Turtles
08-15-2009, 03:47 PM
I have a very good friend who had her gall bladder removed - apparently the stones usually come back - and since her surgery, she has never felt better. However, it is true that she cannot eat fatty foods and if she does, she knows it. Good luck with whatever decision your friend comes to.

Puppy Lover
08-15-2009, 03:51 PM
I have been a nurse for ~30 years, and I have never heard of anyone having just the stones removed (not to say that it hasn't been done, just that I have never heard of it being done). The way that the gall bladder is removed now is a much simpler surgical procedure than in the past. It is simply done using 2 or 3 very small incisions and the use of a laparascope. Your doctor is correct is saying that it makes no sense to have the stones removed, because they will return. There are also other complications of gallbladder disease that make the removal of the gall bladder a more sensible choice. You can always search cholelithiasis (or gallstones) on google for more information on the causes, symptoms and treatments. People who are over 40, overweight and fair skinned are at higher risk for gall bladder disease. I would recommend removal, but that is just my opinion. Hope that helps.

Bluesky
08-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Isn't gall bladder removal such a small incision that it is now just day surgery?

Intangible
08-15-2009, 04:27 PM
I had my gall bladder removed 5 years ago. It was simple day surgery and done laprascopically, so only four small scars. I was home eating soup the same evening. I was only off of work for 3 days. I have not had any problems eating any foods whatsoever since the surgery. I would recommend getting it done if you're having problems. I had stones too and the pain of a gall bladder attack was far worse than the surgery.

Amaranth
08-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Four incisions for me as well. Occasionally once the surgeon begins the surgery, he or she may find it is necessary to make a large incision (such as when my dad had gangrene in his; totally unsuspected). I was off work for about two weeks (complications after because everytime I have surgery SOMETHING stupid happens lol).

KRP
08-15-2009, 04:46 PM
I just had my gall bladder removed last year, went in first thing in the morning and was home by early afternoon. I haven't had any problems with what I eat since I've had it removed. The only thing I had to deal with following my surgery was a hernia deep inside my abdominal wall because I wasn't be as careful as I should've been 2 wks following my surgery. Mind you my abdominal muscles were extremely week prior to the surgery because of so many surgeries and pregnancies in a short time, which is why my muscle tore so easily following my gall bladder removal.

Tutones
08-15-2009, 06:43 PM
I tried everything to avoid having my gallbladder removed but ended up having it out last September 2 years after my initial attack due to increased attacks and an inability to eat anything except rice and potatoes. Now that I have had my gall bladder removed, I have endless digestive problems and still cannot tolerate fatty foods or raw vegetables well. It's been very frustrating.

The risk of not having your gallbladder removed is that the stones, if small, can travel down the bile duct into the pancreas - causing pancreatitis, which can be fatal. There are some medications you can take to help break up the stones (they are small and can't be removed individually through surgery) but studies have shown that it just prolongs the inevitable removal of the gall bladder for most people and the drug itself has its own potential side effects.

Andre
08-15-2009, 07:07 PM
I had mine removed a few years back and did have a few uhmm..digestive problems.
About a 1 - 2 years later I was able to eat fatty foods again but until then whenever I wanted a pizza or burger or something it was always ordered take-out and eaten at home.

Anapeg
08-15-2009, 08:11 PM
The relief after is fantastic. I can eat what I want again, even Mexican. I was hefty and had five tiny cuts no more than and inch each. They had to sit on me after surgery because I was not bothered in the least. I recommend the surgery over an attach any time.

kitty&mimi
08-15-2009, 09:00 PM
basically they remove the gallbladder bc as the surgeon told me 'they're just going to come back' might as well get it out
as with tutones, about a yr after surgery i developed some stomach issues....i take an acid reducer now....
dont know if that's just my stomach or if it's a result of my gallbladder removal...
i remember before i had it removed, or just shortly after, i felt great,and someone told me they still had to be careful what they ate or they felt like they were having a mini gallbladder attack...i found that odd, but when i had my stomach troubles that's what it felt like....
some people can totally eat anything, and eat huge amounts again after gallbladderectomy...
and some cant...some of us still have to watch what we eat and how much we eat....everyone is different.

lk_wicked
08-15-2009, 09:16 PM
my husband, my mother and I have all had our gall bladders removed. Simple procedure. there are some scary things to consider if you keep your gall bladder, like more severe pain attacks, or the stones travelling and causing bigger problems.
all three of us had to watch what we ate for about a week, or had to run to the bathroom to dump lol but after that everything settled down and eating patterns and bathroom patterns returned to normal. Personally, if you are 55 now, and in reasonable good health, why would you wait. Wait for what, till your 75 and have other health problems that create bigger risks with even minor surgeries. Suck it up buttercup, lol get it over with. I know I wouldn't want to wait till I was 65-70 to have any type of surgery. Who knows where my health will be then.

good luck.

Wrangler35
08-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Hmmmm:and many thank's to those who participated and shared their thoughts and experiences.You ALL have helped tremendously,and in that,a decision was immediately made after reviewing your comments,each and every-one.After all,what would a community be should we fail to listen to all in-put.

There was a bit of mis-information parted to a certain person and my-self creating doubt about the intial surgery,and,as a direct result of reading your collective in-put,the surgery is re-scheduled and immediately! "Bravo",and thank-you all!

As i have personally have meet some of you,(and others,have read your in-put over the yrs.) have now come to rely on your thoughts and insights.I trust what i have read about gall bladder(s) removal,is to be more common than not,i must live in a caccoon!

Many Thank's!

I will follow..er will pass on futher,the advice and experiences shared here to-day.How valuable this internet tool has beome,to allow me a wealth of shared experiences by a friendly group..LOL..At times!

KRP
08-15-2009, 11:24 PM
basically they remove the gallbladder bc as the surgeon told me 'they're just going to come back' might as well get it out
as with tutones, about a yr after surgery i developed some stomach issues....i take an acid reducer now....
dont know if that's just my stomach or if it's a result of my gallbladder removal...
i remember before i had it removed, or just shortly after, i felt great,and someone told me they still had to be careful what they ate or they felt like they were having a mini gallbladder attack...i found that odd, but when i had my stomach troubles that's what it felt like....
some people can totally eat anything, and eat huge amounts again after gallbladderectomy...
and some cant...some of us still have to watch what we eat and how much we eat....everyone is different.

My stomach has always created too much acid and I was on acid blockers years ago and then stopped taking them. When I started having my gallstone attacks 3 yrs ago we tried to avoid surgery because I had just became pregnant with my daughter. I had a really bad attack near the beginning of my pregnancy and pretty much none after that. After I had my daughter it was fairly calm for a few months and then it started with attacks a few times a week. Toward the end I was having them daily, it didn't matter what I drank or ate I was getting attacks. I had it removed and the only thing I deal with is the stomach acid again, I started back up on an acid blocker a few months ago.

Andre
08-15-2009, 11:41 PM
I forgot to add in my OP that I learned my lesson from my dad.
He put his surgery off and he ended up with a bigass scar after they gutted him in emergency surgery. He was hospitalized for 3 weeks.

Super Gram
08-16-2009, 06:03 AM
You people are lucky. I had my gallbladder removed right after my daughter was born in 1961. The scar extends fron the middle of my stomach horizontally down to my leg. The same as a heart operation is these days.

I am so glad I had it removed at the age of 27. I am 75 and have never missed it. Eat anything at all. I was in the hospital for 14 days.

everywoman
08-16-2009, 07:22 AM
Ouch Gram!!

kitty&mimi
08-16-2009, 08:49 AM
ya my dad had it out the old fashioned way i think back in the 80's
the cut was about a foot long, and he had to stay in the hospital for like a week

JK: even though things arent the same after the surgery i still dont regret it, my last gallbladder attack lasted 8hrs, all night...it was so painful
and that was it for me
when i was prego though, i had no attacks whatsoever...weird

KRP
08-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Kitty, that's how I was at the end. I wasn't getting much of a break from the attacks because they'd start and last for hours and hours. I was up in pain, puking, in tears and there was nothing my husband could do to help me. I remember the one big attack during my pregnancy because I was in the hospital after having a cervical stitch (cerclage) put in. I was in so much pain and thankfully the nurse on at that time went through gallstone attacks and was very understanding. The nurse that took over for her wasn't so very understanding. She was annoyed that it was taking so long to give me meds to prevent me from having contractions and that I was having such a hard time moving from the bathroom to my bed and still felt like I was going to puke.

kitty&mimi
08-16-2009, 12:13 PM
i hear ya...
and no matter what position ur in, nothing helps, laying down, sitting...nothing
so i'd just pace around...i did the night shift so many times

Super Gram
08-16-2009, 12:58 PM
I would rather be in labor than to have a gall bladder attach. Back then when the pain was so bad....I had to go to hospital and have a shot.

KRP
08-16-2009, 02:22 PM
I told my husband the same thing, I had bad back labor for all my kids and no pain meds. I'd rather go through all of that again then go through the constant gallstone attacks. I tried heat (almost burnt my skin), tried applying pressure to my stomach, rocking back and forth, nothing worked. I was tempted to go down to the hospital but with my husband working and me having to stay home with two young children I didn't want to be more tired then I already was. I also didn't want to end up loopy from any kind of pain meds they would've ended up giving me.

So much happier without my gallbladder and the attacks.

kitty&mimi
08-16-2009, 03:22 PM
ya i never did go down to emerg, although a nurse told me i should have...
maybe a shot of morphine would have allowed me to forget the pain lol

KRP
08-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Morphine doesn't help with my pain, just makes me loopy, puke and want to pass out but I still feel the pain and Demerol does the same thing so there was no point in me going down to the hospital.

Broken
08-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Shouldn't this be in the health section?

8th
08-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Shouldn't this be in the health section?shouldn't hempfest be in the buy and sell section? lighten up:smile:

Wrangler35
08-17-2009, 04:48 PM
shouldn't hempfest be in the buy and sell section? lighten up:smile:

Wooooooow..LOL

Surgery is re-sheduled "Thank's" ONLY to the quick and thought-FULL replys related to subject! Other-wise with-out the quick responces surgery would of been put off because of mis-info.For-give if i'm wrong to post on the soap-box,but,it might of saved a life!

Toto
08-17-2009, 09:39 PM
My husband had his gallbladder removed about 15 years ago. No problems whatsoever. He had 3 small incisions (about an inch each) - 2 for instruments and one for the camera. They closed the cuts with little strips of surgical tape and he was back home in the afternoon.

Wrangler35
08-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks once again:and as a direct result of the in-put about Gall Bladder pros and cons, the surgery for Gall Bladder removal was scheduled and as of to-day the girl-friend is recouperating comfortably!