PDA

View Full Version : hdr photography

kitca
08-17-2009, 01:50 PM
so, this weekend i saw my very first hdr photos at the art in the park. i was just blown away, i loved it. ive looked it up on the net. ive just got to learn how to do it. (also need to get myself a digital slr) but anyway, does anyone on here do this? is there anyone who teaches it here in the soo?

NewCasa
08-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi. I have to admit I wasn't aware of HDR before your post but it looks to me like high saturation / high contrast photography - similar to what you got with the Ecktachrome slides. I've accomplished similar effects with both photoshop and lens mounted filters. I'd be interested in learning more about it too.

I don't know of anyone locally, but here's a couple of links you might be interested in:

http://www.online-photoshoptutorials.com/2007/05/how-to-make-hdr-image-using-one-picture.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

http://www.vanilladays.com/hdr-guide/

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/HDR_ps/hdr-ps.htm

kitca
08-17-2009, 02:39 PM
thanks nocasa. ive been googling it like crazy. the guy locally was bob stares, i dont know him, but his photos were incredible! i just love the look of this high dynamic range. oh, yes, ive been to vanilladays and someone called christiaanL on flicker has a great tutorial if you want to try it with a free download trial from photomatrix and using your single jpeg. the real way to do it is to use a tripod and your automatic appeture mapping (or something) of your dslr and take 3 consecutive shots. (see how much i have learned in 24 hours!)

i just like to learn firsthand. ive taken sevral courses and learn so much better by being shown what to do than trying to figure it out from a book.

go to google images and type in hdr and check out some of the results. i just love it!

verotik66
08-17-2009, 03:21 PM
quite easy to do, if you had an Dslr a little more so but you can do it with any camera

kitca
08-17-2009, 03:25 PM
verotik, do you have the photomatrix program? how easy is it?

aloneintheworld
08-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi Kitca...I'm glad you enjoyed my show at "Art in the Park"...I'd be more than happy to discuss HDR with you anytime and show you how it's done. It's relatively simple, but you have to understand that the photograph has to stand or fall on it's own merits first. You can't take a crappy photo and make it look good just by adding HDR. HDR enhances a photo, it doesn't MAKE a photo. I think I stirred up a great deal of interest in the technique during my show and am willing to put a class on for free if we can get enough people interested. Anybody interested, just p.m. me...

Regards...Bob

NewCasa
08-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi Bob. I don't think you're accepting pm's.

aloneintheworld
08-19-2009, 04:39 PM
I don't know how that p.m. thing works but if somebody tells me I'll change it...

kitca
08-20-2009, 12:32 AM
hi bob. i was the lady at the show who came back a few times and then asked you if you would teach your method. you explained it to me a little bit about the 3 pictures and different exposures etc, and i got the gist of it. your pictures really were incredible. yes, the technique is very cool, but you had really great photos. i was very impressed with your stuff!!! i hope you did well. i hope all the artists did well.

i would LOVE to get some lessons from you, and im willing to pay, you dont have to do it for free (though it would be very nice). i dont have a dslr yet, but i could still learn the techniques from stock photos or something for now, just to learn how.

for the pms you have to go into your profile and enable them. i dont know how to explain it better, but im sure someone else can come on and tell you exactly what to do to enable them. (you also have to remember to delete them because you can only have so many and your box fills up. and you have to remember to delete inbox and outbox)

i am very excited about learning this. thanks!!!!!!!!!

verotik66
08-20-2009, 10:08 AM
verotik, do you have the photomatrix program? how easy is it?

I do, it is quite easy to use. If it is nice this weekend maybe i will go out and do a couple and post em for you

kitca
08-20-2009, 11:41 PM
yes, please do. any chance of bob posting one or two of your favorites?

DeleteAccout
08-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Digital SLR cameras are actually affordable now. I remember when they were like, 1200$ minimum. And now ... I see this ..

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10125023&catid=

kitca
08-27-2009, 06:51 PM
hey, that looks pretty good. i know nothing of digital cameras and what is good or not anymore. is that gooD? i know ive been checking prices and lookng around dslr's, but one thing i havent done is check consumer reviews or something to find out what is good and what i need.

My70monaco
09-02-2009, 12:08 AM
You don't need a digital SLR although it would be nice. I have Kodak P850 that has the bracket shooting feature (up to 5 shots - 2 under, 1 normal - 2 over exposed) and Bob showed me how to do HDR photography with it. As long as your camera has the feature, and you have the software (Photomatix Pro or Dynamic HDR are two) and a tripod, you're good to go. PhotoShop would also help.