PDA

View Full Version : sled question

_daynzy
08-21-2009, 08:56 PM
I know it's august, but...
I had posted this before, but never found out anything so I'll post it again.

problem with my 97' polaris indy 440 l/c

At the start of last winter it ran great for about 3 weeks, than as it would warm up it would bog out and not move an inch. Two seconds later, back to flying thru the field. Four seconds after that, back to bogging down and wouldnt move. It's at the point now where you get on the throttle and you have nothing any more. Compression is great in both cylinders, all new fuel lines, filters, carbs cleaned, new gas, new plugs, new plug boots. Chokes are fine, not sticking.

Took it to our local polaris dealer last winter, it ran great for the guy on his 30 minute test (so he says anyways). I say great and take it out to camp. Get to camp, fire it up... Dead. Bogging out like it did. Almost cut holes around the sled and let it sink to the bottom of the lake.

So anyone have any suggestions? Stator? Carbs aren't jetted right?

Anyone know someone who works on these on the side?

Lance1
08-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Did you clean the carbs correctly? Here is a how to link http://www.ripperd.com/ftp/admins/carb_rebuild/ is the tank vent line clear and not pinched?

DM46
09-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Change the fuel pump and your problem should be fixed provided that your crank seals are good.

Jack Butler
09-08-2009, 01:39 PM
To check the crank seals you can do a simple test.
The clutch side of the engine is the suspect seal, so with the engine running, spray where the crank exits the block with WD 40.
If the engine rpms increase, the seal is puched.
WD 40 is combustible, it will actually help sometimes to start a troubled engine.
Propane will also do this same job.
The seal is there to create a negative pressure(vacuum), that makes the engine suck.
If it can't suck in the fuel it needs, it will start, but have no power.
Cold it is not as evident as when the engine is warm.
The added air in that cylinder creates a lean condition and will most definitely cause a bigger problem if you don't address it ASAP.(blown piston)
If there is no change in rpm, than DM46 could be right about the pump.
You should be able to do this without investing anymore money.
Sometime, it's just a process of elimination.

_daynzy
09-10-2009, 02:00 PM
thanks for the responses, will post wht happens

X-Man
09-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Without a question it could be your coil. This happened to my sled and my father in laws. It mimicks a fuel problem & a ring problem but its not. If it was a seal, your rings would have burned by now, since you have proper compression, its NOT your seals.

trust me, been there done that.

Check your coil.

DM46
09-13-2009, 09:07 PM
If it was the coil it most likely wouldn't run at all. But on a second note, If it is the fuel pump as I suggested don't run anything but a Mikuni. Let me know if you need one I believe I have a couple.

_daynzy
09-13-2009, 09:23 PM
I'll buy one of those off you DM. PM me with what you want for it.

Also gonna change the coil too.

Thanks

X-Man
09-14-2009, 08:31 AM
If it was the coil it most likely wouldn't run at all. But on a second note, If it is the fuel pump as I suggested don't run anything but a Mikuni. Let me know if you need one I believe I have a couple.

No not at all. If the coil starts going it will run when its cold at 1st, then when the coil heats up its shuts down and wont start or may start briefly. As soon as it cools down again it will start and repeat the same process....so your wrong on that one bud.

Save your money......CHECK THE COIL.

Jack Butler
09-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Ignition problems can be a hair puller for the reasons X has stated.
It sounds like he was going to include the coil in his diagnosis, so.....
....not sure who the "your wrong on that one bud" is for X, you or him?

X-Man
09-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Ignition problems can be a hair puller for the reasons X has stated.
It sounds like he was going to include the coil in his diagnosis, so.....
....not sure who the "your wrong on that one bud" is for X, you or him?

DM46 said he would have no spark if it was the coil, also said it wouldnt start period...thats entirely incorrect.

X-Man
09-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Pm for yah ADD

DM46
09-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Yes, your point was true, but it will only do that for so long and then the coil will just burn out completely. It doesnt take long for it to happen either, By the sounds of things he has had more than enough riding in on it to finish the coil. Im not saying it's not the coil, however I build about 10 of these sleds every winter and am quite familiar with the problems on Polaris Indy's.

Jack Butler
09-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Im not saying it's not the coil, however I build about 10 of these sleds every winter and am quite familiar with the problems on Polaris Indy's.

+1!!

_daynzy
10-08-2009, 07:26 PM
You can completely cover the left side carb with the palm of your hand, and it doesn't change the idle at all.. you cover the right side, snuffs it out.

Changed the carbs from left to right, still the left one doesn't do anything when you cover the air instake side.

I'm assuming that's the problem. Any ideas??

(changed cdi, and rebuilt the fuel pump)

Jack Butler
10-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Is the left plug wet?
If it's dry, that's telling you, you have no fuel going to the left carb or at least no fuel leaving the carb.
If it's wet than it should be the coil.
If it's dry, spray fuel into the left crab at idle and see what happens.
Than, plug the right carb as you spray fuel into the right, see what happens.
Propane will work as a replacement for gas for testing purposes.
If plug is wet, test/replace the coil.

_daynzy
10-08-2009, 10:52 PM
changed the coil already.. it's a coil/cdi combo

ill test what you said out tommorow afetr work

_daynzy
10-09-2009, 07:35 PM
i sprayed some wd40 around the crank seal, the rpm jumped the first time i tried.. did it again 10 minutes later, and it wouldn't jump anymore.. the engine still bogs out, but wont increase rpm with spraying wd40

soooo could it be my crank seal?? shouldnt it leak everytime i spray wd40 on it??

Jack Butler
10-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Is the plug wet or dry on that cylinder?
What happened when you sprayed in the carb?

DM46
10-10-2009, 07:42 PM
What are you running for spark plugs?

_daynzy
10-10-2009, 08:36 PM
ngk br8es, br9es, also tried champion rn2c and rn3c, and n2c and n3c.. all the same.

Duke
10-10-2009, 08:52 PM
I know it's august, but...
I had posted this before, but never found out anything so I'll post it again.

problem with my 97' polaris indy 440 l/c

At the start of last winter it ran great for about 3 weeks, than as it would warm up it would bog out and not move an inch. Two seconds later, back to flying thru the field. Four seconds after that, back to bogging down and wouldnt move. It's at the point now where you get on the throttle and you have nothing any more. Compression is great in both cylinders, all new fuel lines, filters, carbs cleaned, new gas, new plugs, new plug boots. Chokes are fine, not sticking.

Took it to our local polaris dealer last winter, it ran great for the guy on his 30 minute test (so he says anyways). I say great and take it out to camp. Get to camp, fire it up... Dead. Bogging out like it did. Almost cut holes around the sled and let it sink to the bottom of the lake.

So anyone have any suggestions? Stator? Carbs aren't jetted right?

Anyone know someone who works on these on the side?

I had similar symptoms with a early 90's Polaris when the drive clutch was worn and not closing (once it opened), like trying to start out in high gear then, once it closed, away you go like there wasn't a problem.

I know someone who works on sleds one the side but he is usually pretty busy, I can PM a contact number and you can try.

_daynzy
10-10-2009, 09:08 PM
if it was a clutch problem, the engine would idle fine, no? both carbs would be sucking in the air wouldn't they?

DM46
10-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Run champions for sure, but that sounds to me like a fuel pump/crank seal problem like I initially stated. I believe your sled is only running on one cylinder because its not getting enough gas to run on two.

_daynzy
10-14-2009, 07:11 PM
So i tried testing to see if the crank seal would leak tonight.. nope. BUT both cylinders were firing and no matter how warm the sled got, it wouldnt lose the cylinder.. both carbs were sucking air. when i took the one plug out, a bit of oil was on the tip of the plug.. i hate this thing.

the rpm was jumping around a bit 2300rpm to 2600 then down to 2200 and so forth.. not steady jumping but enough

This is what it did last year.. it would run great, then out of no where bam.. dead.

Still think crank seals??

DM46
10-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Nope, Now I say fuel pump like I did in my first post. Had the same problem last winter on 2 of my Polaris'.

_daynzy
10-15-2009, 08:26 PM
even tho the fuel pump has new gaskets/diaphrams?

When you blow on the intake of the pump, both exits flow freely

_daynzy
12-09-2009, 09:02 PM
definately had it with this thing, anyone know anyone that works on these? looking for someone to shed some light on this POS

_daynzy
12-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Call Darwin Wardell..
946-1234

keep getting no answer