PDA

View Full Version : Help

MissMuffett
08-24-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm a stay @ home mom of 2 young children. I hate cooking! because of that I feel that my family eats unhealthy foods, and tons of fast food. How can I get interested in cooking healthier for my family. I need healthy recipes that don't take much time. Plus I have a picky 3 year old. HELP!!

BrAt
08-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Have you tried going to kraft.ca ? There are tons of great recipes on there and even a "kid approved recipe" section.

chase_me
08-24-2009, 03:19 PM
If you want healthy you need to get that deceptively delicious cookbook

BrAt
08-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Ya, fantastic recipes!

Very, very sneaky! lol

MissMuffett
08-24-2009, 11:27 PM
well im taking your word for it girls. I just ordered it online.!! :D

kitca
08-25-2009, 09:01 AM
this worked well in our house. (still works) when the kids get home from school have a fruit & veggie plate for them to snack on. i used melted nutella for them to dip the fruits into and ranch dressing for the veggies.

they are all so cheap right now you can try a bunch of them and see what the kids like the best. sometimes i would do a cheese & crackers and coldcuts.

a quick and sort of ok dinner. noodles (brown pasta is best, but kids hate it, maybe half brown, half white) a big can of diced tomatoes - drained, a bunch of grated marble cheese and a can of tuna. then nuke it all together till the cheese melts.

a can of bushs best brown beans with toast

smoothies: ice cubes, yogurt, frozen berries, or banannas and peanut butter.

ants on a log: celery with peanut butter and raisins. sounds sort of wierd, but its soooo good!

grilled cheese sandwichs with brown bread and real cheese.

ill think some more...

Luv'inLife
08-25-2009, 09:59 AM
also your child is probably picky because of the limited amount of food and "junk" does taste yummy...just put stuff out there and when they say they don't like it, just say Mmm thats o.k. leave it I'll eat it, it usually takes 2 or 3 times and once it becomes something they are not forced to eat, they like it...I would start with fruit slices in nutella like kitca said and veggies in ranch, also asparagus spears taste like corn and you can make faces on the plates(ya when mine were small I had too much time on my hands), also, melt cheese on just about everything...cheesewiz is a kid fave, not so nutritous but the stuff under it is, right now you can get small cucumber and they are a good novelty food.

Melanie Booker
08-25-2009, 10:47 AM
cooking something healthy and yummy for supper doesn't have to be a day long event.
if you plan ahead and take the necessary ingredients out in the am or even the night before you can rip off a meal in no time. being prepared is the key.
get the kids to help, they may be more likely to try new things if they've helped make them.

bluekrissyspikes
08-25-2009, 10:07 PM
my kids like omlettes which i put teeny peices of veggies in. i also make them mashed potatoes with pureed carrots in them. i don't add butter or margerine. i use milk or plain yogurt instead. they like chilli too but may just be weird. it's not hard to make and i don't add much spice to theirs. it's just beans(i smoosh theirs into the sauce), tomato sause, diced tomatoes, meat and whatever veggies are around.
for snacks do triscuits or whole grain wheat thins instead of chips. for sweets we do yogurt or fruit instead of treats. switch their cereal for something healthier. some of the v8fusion juices are good. the strawberry and acia berry ones go over well here. not dinner but it works to get them some healthier foods. my 3 year old is picky too, if it were up to him he'd live on chicken nuggets and kd

kitca
08-31-2009, 10:24 PM
here is an easy recipe i found in a 2nd hand book. we all love it.

fry up some onion and garlic in a large pot/pan

add a pound or so of ground beef and brown

add salt & paepper and2 tbs of chilli sauce (i use thai chilli sauce)

add 1 cup or so of cut up veggies: cerlery, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower

add one can of mushroom soup and 2 cups of water

add 2 cups of uncooked egg noodles and stir all together. the water should mostly cover the noodles, you may add a bit more if you want.

now, let it simmer about half an hour till the noodles are soft. its quite yummy! you can change up the veggies or type of chilli sauce as you like.