PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Old Computer Game

Daiv
08-25-2009, 10:49 AM
I am looking for an old computer game called Solitaire Royale.

I have found a couple sites where I can purchase this game, and don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm not willing to spend the money, but I am leery of givng my credit card number out to just anybody.

Is anybody able to find this game and download it? I am looking for a version that is compatible with Windows.

Thanks!

B.David
08-25-2009, 11:50 AM
It's a verified site and it'll be $6. You can even use PayPal to be more secure if you choose.

http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/abandonware/pc/strategy_games/games_so_sy/solitaire_royale.html

Daiv
08-25-2009, 12:15 PM
You know what? I think this is the site that I found it on when I was looking before. I was unsure if I should give them my credit card.

I friggin' love that game. Grew up playing it and have been wanting it for years!

This works with Windows, then? I had a version before, but I had to have some sort of ... I want to say mod(?) installed on my computer.

Sorry, I"m not technical when it comes to this stuff.

B.David
08-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Well, it mentions the game is from 1987, and it says its PC compatible... was there any choice besides Windows at that time? If it were me, I'd take the chance for a measly $6

Daiv
08-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I probably will.
I cannot remember what it was on.
I want to say that I played it on Windows 95 because we had it on a floppy disk, but I can't remember.
I probably started playing that game in 1987 when it came out. My mom got me hooked on Solitaire early.

08-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Maybe runs in DOS?

Daiv
08-25-2009, 02:08 PM
When was Windows 3.1 available?
And yes.. maybe DOS! That might be it!

God, I feel dumb.

I really cannot remember for the life of me what platform it was on.
I really want to say that we played it on the Commodore...
OR WAIT! Maybe on the Amiga?

FRIG!
I am trying to call my mom and/or dad, but do you think EITHER of them will answer the phone?

Not important, I guess, but now it is bugging me.

Edit:
I talked to my dad and he thinks it was the Amiga, too. That sounds more likely because I barely remember the Commodore.
Either way, I will probably get that game and then I will let you know if it works.

B.David
08-25-2009, 03:26 PM
It's weird. Anything for modern software... whether its $5 or $2000, you can find it free of charge on the net. But, when you want a simple old-school solitaire game, its nowhere to be found.

Daiv
08-25-2009, 03:45 PM
For sure, eh? I looked all over.
Very excited to go home and try this, though!
(Yes, I AM a loser.... )

Anna Noyance
08-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Daiv, it was on the Amiga!

I have not been answering the phone because Great Lakes Power cut the Bell Cable to our phones out here in the boonies. It took quite a while to get repaired. Our phones were out most of the day yesterday and a big part today. I cannot believe that Great Lakes Power wrote "OOPS" on the pole where they cut the underground cable.

Daiv
08-25-2009, 06:59 PM
I figured it was still out.
I am going to go download it now... I will let you know how it works!

Daiv
08-25-2009, 07:14 PM
For $5.95 you can download whatever games you want for one full day.
Solitaire Royale opens in DOS, and the mouse seems to move really fast, but so far so good!

Daiv
08-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Played Solitaire Royale last night and still love it.
The graphics kind of suck compared to newer games, but that is to be expected.
Also, I find the mouse to be very sensitive, but all in all, very impressed and glad to have my game!

NewCasa
08-26-2009, 02:15 PM
I cannot believe that Great Lakes Power wrote "OOPS" on the pole where they cut the underground cable.

LMAO! Sounds like the boys! I had a tree fall on my line a while back - they were there before I even knew the power was out. I saw them at Northwinds a while later and thanked them. If it took a while it must've been a real problem.

B.David
09-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Good, glad you took the plunge and got your old-school fun back. :)