PDA

View Full Version : The Humane Society

chase_me
09-10-2009, 12:01 PM
I am not sure if this is really their policy or what but i am truly disgruntled with them.

My brother had a dog, he was giving it away to another elderly lady because he was starting school and did not have the time for her. The lady was to take her on Sunday because she wanted to get her toys and food etc. well on Saturday the dog got away from my brother and no matter how long we looked we could not find it. So on Tuesday they, my brother and the owner to be, went up to the humane society and sure enough the dog was there.

The dog had an appointment across the river yesterday, Wednesday, for shots and to be spayed because it is cheaper over there. When they went to get the dog out of the humane society they were informed they would have to pay the pound fees of $45 per day and buy a dog tag. That is no problem, although she is elderly living on pension or whatever she was still going to pay that because she really wanted the dog. But THEN they inform her that she also have to give them $180 dollars because the dog was unspayed and then she could bring a receipt to them and they would give her $90 back.

Now what the heck kind of practice is that, they complain about lack of space to care for the dogs they have and put a lot of them to sleep, but when they have the chance to not have to deal with a dog and all the costs of it by simply letting this lady take the dog after paying pound and licensing fees and bringing proof of spay to them the next day they refuse. The dog is still there, the lady could not afford that extra 180 on top of the pound fee, licensing fee then taking her to be spayed and neither could my brother.

GRUMPY
09-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Believe it or not in some centers they even have sales on their animals !!! The fools that they are giving away perfectly good dogs and cats just because somebody wants to give them a good home . Is that any way to run a business? A long time ago they had forgotten why they were formed in the first place. Makes you wonder how many dogs and cats get put down because of this kind of mentality.

As for the $180 they want upfront I guess there is a fine of $90 for not having the dog fixed. On another note though why wasn't the dog fixed already?

SWRKR 01
09-10-2009, 12:16 PM
I too have had negative experiences with them over this. They argue that if you cannot afford the fees, you cannot afford the pet. I think that is crap! Pets are a great resource to elderly people, and it amazes me these people see themselves as being a responsible agency.

chase_me
09-10-2009, 12:16 PM
she is still a pup very young only like 6 mths old now

Bluesky
09-10-2009, 12:19 PM
It's true.. if she cannot afford this, what will she do when the dog gets sick and needs the services of a vet, precriptopn medicine, etc?
I think the lady had best reconsider owning a dog.

Sure, pets are therapeutic. But keeping a dog can be expensive. Them's the hard facts.

SWRKR 01
09-10-2009, 12:26 PM
I do not disagree with your point entirely, but why not work out some type of option whereas people can make payments on the fees, as opposed to wanting the entire fee up front? That is a lot of money to dole out for most people.

Second, a pet being ill is an emergency and necessary and as such, people are willing to sacrifice themselves to ensure their pet is taken care of. It is a different mindset than paying an unnecessary, ridiculous amount of money for services which are over-charged. Further to that, it has been my experience that the attitude of some of the workers there is less than helpful and compassionate. I have owned dogs all my life, and all have come from the Humane Society, so I do have significant experiences with them. I would not even bother dealing with them, but the idea of great pets being left to die makes me sick to be honest.

Anapeg
09-10-2009, 12:33 PM
It's true.. if she cannot afford this, what will she do when the dog gets sick and needs the services of a vet, precriptopn medicine, etc?
I think the lady had best reconsider owning a dog.

Sure, pets are therapeutic. But keeping a dog can be expensive. Them's the hard facts.

So now we initiate credit checks for pet ownership? Next step net worth statements prior to child birth. There is an EXTREMELY fine line between can afford and WON'T afford. Can't afford is often another way of phrasing a distaste for unarmed robbery.

Bluesky
09-10-2009, 12:44 PM
NO, I wasn't suggesting that. We aren't talking law. We are talking common sense. As is often the case, sentiment overtakes logic when it comes to pet ownership. But the Humane Society is being coldly factual when they say, "If you can't afford this fee, you can't afford a dog" ANd it is their right, I suppose, to exact this fee.. after all, the less revenue stream the Humane Society gets, the more the tax payer chips in, right?

The lady can go and get a dog free somewhere else, and no one will stop her. But she should think about the expenses if she balks at $90 to get this dog spayed.

Anapeg
09-10-2009, 12:51 PM
NO, I wasn't suggesting that. We aren't talking law. We are talking common sense. As is often the case, sentiment overtakes logic when it comes to pet ownership. But the Humane Society is being coldly factual when they say, "If you can't afford this fee, you can't afford a dog" ANd it is their right, I suppose, to exact this fee.. after all, the less revenue stream the Humane Society gets, the more the tax payer chips in, right?

The lady can go and get a dog free somewhere else, and no one will stop her. But she should think about the expenses if she balks at $90 to get this dog spayed.

WRONGO! read, Blue. The $90.00 Is over and above the customary charge. It is a "we want it" fee of some sort. She was scheduled to have the procedure done in Mich for their Vets work in the animals best interest not their own and therefore prices are more in line. The $90.00, as near as I can ascertain was to cover the portion paid by the Humane Society to the Vets on our side to help defray the exorbitant costs on this side. With the procedure being done "away" why should the local Society exact it's "pound" of flesh?

Lollypop
09-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Perhaps I am not reading it right, but the HS will only give her back half of the 180. So that is 90 that she is out, plus the fees from across the river to get it altered and shots.
Obviously both parties are responsible, sadly money does factor in.

Is there not someone who can adopt the dog for them, it would end up much cheaper.

everywoman
09-10-2009, 12:55 PM
It sounds like this deal just happened, so how do we know that from this point forward, the lady in question wasn't going to be saving up for an emergency fund for her dog? Why are some ppl assuming she can't afford it? She JUST got it after all, and DID have the money to get it spayed and get it's shots.

chase_me
09-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Thank you everywoman, the lady is doing everything she can in the best interest of the dog. She obviously was being responsible having shots and spaying lined up so perhaps those that say she shouldn't have the dog because she can't afford it should re-read.

gouligann
09-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Sometimes the HS has some dumb policies, and this sounds like one that is totally stupid.

It is just a money grab and I wouldn't want to be the receptionist who has to deal with the public. They get shiat on, and they are only following policies that are created by the management.

icecapp
09-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Next step net worth statements prior to child birth. .

Not that this has anything to do with it, I remember the birth of my first child I had someone in supposably on a routine visit with first time parents(from afs) and she down right asked for my husbands pay stub.. and that is when I turned to her and told her to leave my home and to keep walking and they were not welcomed back unless they had a officer with them, I told her she best be looking in other places then my home.

SWRKR 01
09-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Not that this has anything to do with it, I remember the birth of my first child I had someone in supposably on a routine visit with first time parents(from afs) and she down right asked for my husbands pay stub.. and that is when I turned to her and told her to leave my home and to keep walking and they were not welcomed back unless they had a officer with them, I told her she best be looking in other places then my home.

An interesting twist of conversation. But worth commenting on I think. You do of course realize the requirement for knowing your income level is because services received from AFS require they report income levels of their clients to the government in order to receive financial assistance to run their programs which you were looking to access? To add to that, there are some services which require a fee-for-service and these fees are usually negotiated based on the family's income level. I would suggest you over reacted.

icecapp
09-10-2009, 03:33 PM
An interesting twist of conversation. But worth commenting on I think. You do of course realize the requirement for knowing your income level is because services received from AFS require they report income levels of their clients to the government in order to receive financial assistance to run their programs which you were looking to access? To add to that, there are some services which require a fee-for-service and these fees are usually negotiated based on the family's income level. I would suggest you over reacted.

First off the drs office sent them, I did not ask them for it!! I did not want them there in the first place..... the hospital also offers this after a ?air, after giving birth, it was all cause I did not work, and the only income was coming from my husband, and I was 22 at the time and yes I was newly married, (he was a forman) there was no need for there services in my home and I was rather offended at her Questions.

SWRKR 01
09-10-2009, 03:38 PM
You did not ask them for the service, but as I have worked there and am somewhat familiar with their intake policies, I am sure they did not just show up at your door unannounced? They must have called and set up an appointment with you?

However, I guess it is irrelevent, I am surprised though that someone would become offended by such a question to the point of throwing a service provider out of their home. I have never had that experience, and sure hope i never do.

Anapeg
09-10-2009, 03:42 PM
You did not ask them for the service, but as I have worked there and am somewhat familiar with their intake policies, I am sure they did not just show up at your door unannounced? They must have called and set up an appointment with you?

However, I guess it is irrelevent, I am surprised though that someone would become offended by such a question to the point of throwing a service provider out of their home. I have never had that experience, and sure hope i never do.

Come to my home uninvited and ask personal questions, her response would be at the very least mild.

icecapp
09-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Like I said they told me a nurse(dr told me) would call and set up an appt at the hospital after I had left, I was young I understand, I took the phone call on day 2 she asked if she could come weigh my baby and asked if I had any ?'s regarding the birth, there was nothing about finacial crap in the phone call.

My husband worked they new that, but to ask some one for there paystub is wrong, an estimate gross income would of been sufficiant. I was not a smoker, still am not, not a drinker, etc, neither is my husband... after I told her no to the paystub she got rather rude and threatened to call cas, I told her I would dial the number...

ITS ALL IN HOW THINGS ARE DONE and worded.

p.s sorry chase me, IT was in response to anapeg.

SWRKR 01
09-10-2009, 03:45 PM
That changes the entire situation. I aplogize if I did not see this part earlier. In this situation, in my opinion, she was rude and inappropriate.

bluekrissyspikes
09-10-2009, 05:46 PM
i got a purebred from the humane society and they admitted to having his papers but refused to give them to us. i also met the previous owner of the dog later on and found out the hs had agreed to give whoever adopted the dog all his toys/kennel/collar ect that were brought in for him which they kept as well. why the hell would they need to keep his papers? no one there was able to answer that question for me. also, if they didn't require so many darn fees for this and that i bet a lot more of the animals they get could be saved. like when i read something in the pet section about all the kittens they just killed. like, if they would just find homes for the cats for free and maybe offer some kind of discount on getting them fixed they could have avoided killing at least some of them.

Intangible
09-10-2009, 06:42 PM
I am not sure if this is really their policy or what but i am truly disgruntled with them.

My brother had a dog, he was giving it away to another elderly lady because he was starting school and did not have the time for her. The lady was to take her on Sunday because she wanted to get her toys and food etc. well on Saturday the dog got away from my brother and no matter how long we looked we could not find it. So on Tuesday they, my brother and the owner to be, went up to the humane society and sure enough the dog was there.

The dog had an appointment across the river yesterday, Wednesday, for shots and to be spayed because it is cheaper over there. When they went to get the dog out of the humane society they were informed they would have to pay the pound fees of $45 per day and buy a dog tag. That is no problem, although she is elderly living on pension or whatever she was still going to pay that because she really wanted the dog. But THEN they inform her that she also have to give them $180 dollars because the dog was unspayed and then she could bring a receipt to them and they would give her $90 back.

Now what the heck kind of practice is that, they complain about lack of space to care for the dogs they have and put a lot of them to sleep, but when they have the chance to not have to deal with a dog and all the costs of it by simply letting this lady take the dog after paying pound and licensing fees and bringing proof of spay to them the next day they refuse. The dog is still there, the lady could not afford that extra 180 on top of the pound fee, licensing fee then taking her to be spayed and neither could my brother.

Why did he wait 4 days to go and see if it was up at the Humane Society? Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday....by then I think the shelter assumes ownership and you would have to adopt it. I would have checked there several times a day every day until I found it.

Hans
09-10-2009, 06:58 PM
I thought the Humane Society was a non profit organization?

09-10-2009, 07:30 PM
It is, but it still costs money to keep the animals there.

Who ever said "If you can't afford it, you shouldn't have it" is right.

It's like having a kid without a job, why would you do that to the animals?

People need to give a deep consideration why they would adopt a living creature if you can't afford to help it in the event of getting sick.

chase_me
09-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Why did he wait 4 days to go and see if it was up at the Humane Society? Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday....by then I think the shelter assumes ownership and you would have to adopt it. I would have checked there several times a day every day until I found it.

It was late Saturday and they were closed Sunday and Monday was a holiday they went there Tuesday.

chase_me
09-10-2009, 07:50 PM

People need to give a deep consideration why they would adopt a living creature if you can't afford to help it in the event of getting sick.

No one said that she couldn't afford it, but she had just put out the money for food and toys, then she was paying 135 for pound fees plus the 65 or whatever for license plus the 35 for shots plus the 100 or so for the spaying of it. That was a big hit all in itself never mind the extra 180 on top of that I am sure if it was sick that would be a different story and lets be honest, the vets across care about pets and would take payments if need be.

Anapeg
09-10-2009, 07:57 PM
No one said that she couldn't afford it, but she had just put out the money for food and toys, then she was paying 135 for pound fees plus the 65 or whatever for license plus the 35 for shots plus the 100 or so for the spaying of it. That was a big hit all in itself never mind the extra 180 on top of that I am sure if it was sick that would be a different story and lets be honest, the vets across care about pets and would take payments if need be.

Give up. There are those among us who have limited peripheral vision once they have cemented their views. You speak of one thing and they revert to their chosen path choosing to belabour a moot point.

Bluesky
09-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Anapeg, I misunderstood the original post. And I am not in the area so I should learn to not get involved in local disputes.

Anapeg
09-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Anapeg, I misunderstood the original post. And I am not in the area so I should learn to not get involved in local disputes.

Don't do that Blue! You are my hero and heroes never give up. Sides. You still owe me a beer and our buddy says you enjoy a good discussion. Being wrong has NEVER stood in my way. :thumbs_up: :beer:

lk_wicked
09-10-2009, 08:30 PM
First off the drs office sent them, I did not ask them for it!! I did not want them there in the first place..... the hospital also offers this after a ?air, after giving birth, it was all cause I did not work, and the only income was coming from my husband, and I was 22 at the time and yes I was newly married, (he was a forman) there was no need for there services in my home and I was rather offended at her Questions.

First of all, you had every right to be offended with this woman's tone and attitude. Second, good job for telling her you would dial the number to call cas yourself.
Third, you should always be leary of giving confidential information to a stranger.

I would call her office, ask to speak to her supervisor, explain how you were treated and why you were offended. Ask her why a financial paystub was requested, and also why it was not a part of the process to inform you before you "invite" them into your home. That had you known ahead of time, you might have opted "Not to Invite" them into your home. And the key here, is that you invited them, thinking they were coming as a courtesy call to see how the new mom and dad are doing.

My daughter who is young and who's husband also works, had them come to her home, and they reassured and answered any questions they had about their new baby.
And they left. It was a pleasant and reassuring experience for them. There was no rudeness, and no requests for financial informtion.

09-10-2009, 08:35 PM

I hijaked the thread and was talking about something totally different, as usual LOL

09-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Don't do that Blue! You are my hero and heroes never give up. Sides. You still owe me a beer and our buddy says you enjoy a good discussion. Being wrong has NEVER stood in my way. :thumbs_up: :beer:

Blah blah blah blah.... My way is right. If you can't afford the pet you shouldn't get one. If the pet gets sick, you going to put it down or let it suffer because you can't afford the help?

Sheesh.

Anapeg
09-10-2009, 08:48 PM
T-pot, what exactly does your quote of me have to do with your accompanying post? I am sorry but I see no correlation. Is it me?

Giggle Squirt
09-10-2009, 08:51 PM
My dogs cost me more then my kids. So it is cheeper to have kids then animals.

09-10-2009, 08:51 PM
No, I love you Anapeg LOL

I meant this post of your's.

Give up. There are those among us who have limited peripheral vision once they have cemented their views. You speak of one thing and they revert to their chosen path choosing to belabour a moot point.

Anapeg
09-10-2009, 08:53 PM
On the same page now, I'm old and slow. Be patient with the infirm.

lk_wicked
09-10-2009, 09:02 PM
I put a comment on here about the afs, then realized, wait a minute, weren't we talking about the HS i deleted my comment and stated reason for deleting as I am nuts, lol, then after rereading the posts, realized the thread was about hs, and someone changed topics to being about the afs. lol i am old too, so for the hs, how about some common sense, a little senior lady, wants this pet for a companion, the hs is always crying for homes, heck, this pet wont have to be put down, it has a home to go to. cant common sense bend the rules.

Intangible
09-10-2009, 11:14 PM
It was late Saturday and they were closed Sunday and Monday was a holiday they went there Tuesday.

They are open Sundays 12 to 5.

They can't make you neuter an animal that you own. Therefore, they must have had it there long enough that they gained ownership and thus you had to adopt it.

kitca
09-10-2009, 11:17 PM
i really think that this fee policy at the hs needs to be reassessed. there are different circumstances that come into play for each animal. i sure hope this lady gets the dog and all goes well and she doesnt have to pay through the nose for it.

gouligann
09-10-2009, 11:32 PM
All I can say is that I'm glad that some homes get visitors from the AFS, as I'm sure they catch some babies with bruises on them, or worse.

As for asking for the pay stub, that is out of line IMO. It's none of their business unless the child is malnourished looking and living in squallor.

No one sees what goes on behind closed doors, and if they didn't check for the well being of babies/kids, then I think there might be a lot more child abuse that goes un-noticed.

Anapeg
09-10-2009, 11:32 PM

They can't make you neuter an animal that you own. Therefore, they must have had it there long enough that they gained ownership and thus you had to adopt it.

They can, if I'm not mistaken demand and hold the monies to perform said neutering even though you choose not to proceed. That I believe is the crux of the problem here. They ( the H S ) want the extra $90.00 to $180.00 in lieu of and won't give it back.

lk_wicked
09-10-2009, 11:38 PM
All I can say is that I'm glad that some homes get visitors from the AFS, as I'm sure they catch some babies with bruises on them, or worse.

As for asking for the pay stub, that is out of line IMO. It's none of their business unless the child is malnourished looking and living in squallor.

No one sees what goes on behind closed doors, and if they didn't check for the well being of babies/kids, then I think there might be a lot more child abuse that goes un-noticed.

I agree with what your saying, however, note that the process is the parents agree to invite the afs to their home. do you really think that parents that are capable of inflicting bruises or worse to babies would agree to invite afs into their home?

not likely. and the reality is, there isnt money in the system to support automatically sending afs to every newborns home.

dancingqueen
09-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Didn't read through all this, but I have never, ever, EVER had a good experience with the Humane society. This situation sounds like they are putting the dog up for ransom "Can't get him back unless you give us money" nice to see these people be so "humane"
Makes me sick.
If I ever found someone's dog the last thing I would ever do is contact the Humane society. I'd keep the dog at my place and make any effort to reach the owner if they where tagged. If not, I'd wait at the end of my driveway for someone to come by before I'd consider contacting that scum of the earth.

Santana
09-10-2009, 11:50 PM
AFS is not supposed to automatically visit the homes of new mothers. AFS is for children's mental health; AHU usually visits the home of a new mother. AHU will visit the homes of most mothers, regardless of age. I was nearly 30 when I had my last baby and when I left the hospital I was asked if I wanted to have a nurse or worker from AHU visit me. I agreed to it because I wanted to ensure I had no problems with nursing him, etc. (Plus I had four other kids to look after and it was kind of nice to be "checked on" lol). Asking to see something like a pay stub is unethical and illegal and any worker who does that should be brought up in front of his/her supervisor who will make sure that disciplinary action is taken. There are steps to be taken in a case like that. No social worker/nurse, etc can ask for such things.

chase_me
09-10-2009, 11:59 PM

Ok well still, they went there on Tuesday and this is what happened, no one said they were right in waiting til tuesday the point of the thread is the costs the HS is trying to charge.

Peety
09-10-2009, 11:59 PM
AFS is not supposed to automatically visit the homes of new mothers. AFS is for children's mental health; AHU usually visits the home of a new mother. AHU will visit the homes of most mothers, regardless of age. I was nearly 30 when I had my last baby and when I left the hospital I was asked if I wanted to have a nurse or worker from AHU visit me. I agreed to it because I wanted to ensure I had no problems with nursing him, etc. (Plus I had four other kids to look after and it was kind of nice to be "checked on" lol). Asking to see something like a pay stub is unethical and illegal and any worker who does that should be brought up in front of his/her supervisor who will make sure that disciplinary action is taken. There are steps to be taken in a case like that. No social worker/nurse, etc can ask for such things.

I had a real nice lady come to my place ..I thought it was great they weighed and checked her out and I get growth information in the mail.which is neat to have a guide line on how they are growing and learning.
I am pretty sure I ok'd it..

Peety
09-11-2009, 12:00 AM
i really think that this fee policy at the hs needs to be reassessed. there are different circumstances that come into play for each animal. i sure hope this lady gets the dog and all goes well and she doesnt have to pay through the nose for it.

The poor lady,,I hope it works out for her..

dancingqueen
09-11-2009, 12:06 AM
I think it's sad that we live in a world where it is okay to hold pets for ransom, but not people...

Peety
09-11-2009, 12:08 AM
I think it's sad that we live in a world where it is okay to hold pets for ransom, but not people...

I have a few people I could donate..

GRUMPY
09-11-2009, 12:10 AM
after going through this thread(s) I think we should just have one giant thread and everyone join into it never mind the subject just jump on in.

Anapeg
09-11-2009, 12:11 AM
after going through this thread(s) I think we should just have one giant thread and everyone join into it never mind the subject just jump on in.

Don't we do this already?

Peety
09-11-2009, 12:13 AM

I guess I am sorta sorry..

dancingqueen
09-11-2009, 12:15 AM

When is the GST due?

Anapeg
09-11-2009, 12:16 AM
When is the GST due?

BANNED!!! :zip:

dancingqueen
09-11-2009, 12:17 AM
I think I may need a vacation anyways :p

Hans
09-11-2009, 12:29 AM

But the question is what their reason for existance is. I believe they are there to ensure animals well being. So I fail to see why someone should pay extra money that has nothing to do with the animals well being.

icecapp
09-11-2009, 12:35 AM
I had a real nice lady come to my place ..I thought it was great they weighed and checked her out and I get growth information in the mail.which is neat to have a guide line on how they are growing and learning.
I am pretty sure I ok'd it..

I agree some of the homes need to be checked, Dont get me wrong.. but to down right ask me for that, was wrong..

I did ok it when she called but it was for reasons of answering my ?'s as I did not have a family dr for myself, but the baby did have one, but when she come it was nothing about the baby or myself it was our finacial situations, and if I was on street drugs, smoked, and drank, NONE of which was applicable with any adult in my home..

Now this was 8 yrs ago so it maybe AHU, but IM sure it was AFS.. then after the last two births I never had another one come back.

P.s the nurse I spoke with at the hospital at 20 something weeks asked me about finacial situation, as I went in for my rogram and pre admit info... I had no problem answering her ?'s, But the lady that come into my home was very intimidating, and rude.

Peety
09-11-2009, 12:37 AM
What does AFS stand for?

icecapp
09-11-2009, 12:38 AM
and Grumpy I said sorry long ago for switching the subject as it was in post to anapegs post.

icecapp
09-11-2009, 12:39 AM
What does AFS stand for?

algoma family services

Peety
09-11-2009, 12:40 AM
algoma family services

Oh ok ..That was rude of them,,

kitca
09-11-2009, 08:29 AM
But the question is what their reason for existance is. I believe they are there to ensure animals well being. So I fail to see why someone should pay extra money that has nothing to do with the animals well being.

i think it also includes the well being of future animals. if your animal is not spayed or neutered then it will reproduce. it must be horrible for them to work there and have to put innocent animals to sleep just because there arent enough good homes. i understand their frustration. i just dont think that all pet owners fall into the same category and should be treated the same. and i dont understand the $90. cash grab or the now $45. 'boarding fees'.

SWRKR 01
09-11-2009, 09:12 AM
No social worker/nurse, etc can ask for such things.

Sorry, but yes we can depending on the requirements of our programs.

lynys
09-11-2009, 09:12 AM
I personally have never had a problem with the Humane Society. I have adopted three animals from there, and found it to be a very painless process.

As for the fees associated... Yes, it can be pricey, but that is why pet ownership should only be done if you can afford it. As for the extra $90, why not consider it a one time donation to the HS? Lord knows, with all of the strays that are put down on a weekly basis, I wouldn't be too upset with providing monies for food or medical to the animals.

GRUMPY
09-11-2009, 09:16 AM
As for the extra $90, why not consider it a one time donation to the HS?

I guess the main reason not to is that a donation is given freely and not extorted.

lynys
09-11-2009, 09:18 AM
I guess they are tired of having to kill innocent animals because people can't be bothered to get them spayed/neutered?

GRUMPY
09-11-2009, 09:20 AM
I guess they are and rightfully, so however what does that have to do with the discussion? Maybe if they took a different approach they wouldn't have to put so many down.

dancingqueen
09-11-2009, 09:27 AM
I guess they are tired of having to kill innocent animals because people can't be bothered to get them spayed/neutered?

so, kill animals that have loving homes to go to just to make a point?
Not very "humane"
While I agree there are many careless, and thoughtless pet owners out there. Killing the innocent ones are not the right way to go about making this point.

GRUMPY
09-11-2009, 09:32 AM
seems to me that over time the whole thing has become about money and less about the animals.

lynys
09-11-2009, 09:37 AM
I don't know if this is possible, but has anyone considered the fact that the Humane Society takes that extra $90, and pays it to the vet that performs the spay/neuter? When I adopted my kitties, I paid an extra 80 or 90 dollars to the Humane Society, and received a certificate to give to my vet, which meant the vet deducted that money from the spay when I paid them.

Perhaps THAT is the actual deal, and the HS will only give back the extra 90, as incentive to actually get the spay/neuter done, hence a $180 fee.

GRUMPY
09-11-2009, 09:45 AM
True but if the operation is done across the river they don't pay a cent towards it so then what is the incentive? I can see paying the $180 but if you get it done across the river at your own expense and you bring in proof you should get the $180 back as it didn't cost the pound a thing.

lynys
09-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Well, that is where the HS and local vets have you then. Our HS wants you to support the local vets, plain and simple.

dancingqueen
09-11-2009, 09:55 AM
I think regardless of the reasons, holding people's pets for ransom is wrong and immoral. They put animals down because there is not enough room for them, they will only make room for them if people pay their ransom prices. In essence, the Humane Society creates their own problems and seem to be at ease with their decisions.
Monsters. Plain and simple.

GRUMPY
09-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Very true,like so many things in the Soo its our way or no way. The hs should be careful though in its thinking as it is the same thinking that the Queen Street store owners had years ago when they were the only choice in town and look at the ghost town that Queen Street became. More and more people will just grow tired of this kind of arrogance. If a person wants to use a vet across the river that is their choice and if they want to use the ones on this side and pay through the nose they should be allowed too also.

lynys
09-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Whenyou are hearing only one side of the story, you really should not be making assumptions as to the reasoning. Fact is, it was admitted the dog was lost, and admitted that they left it at the Humane Society for 4 days. If it was my pet, first thing I would do is call the Humane Society and let them know (even show up there and leave a note on the door)

GRUMPY
09-11-2009, 10:05 AM
and if it were my dog it wouldn't have gotten away but this has nothing to do with the issue at all as we are discussing what is said to have happened not what we would have done in the situation.

dancingqueen
09-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Yes lynys, I also would have handled it differentl. That does not excuse the fact that the HS claims to not have enough room for all these pets, and here is someone willing to get their pet so there is one less pet, sounds simple right? one less pet is a good thing, room for another pet who may have been lost or neglected that does not have a loving home to go to so they can get the care and attention the need. Instead they would rather hold it for ransom for the almighty dollar. I don't really care about their reasoning. This is what they are doing. There is no 2 ways about it. and it is counter productive to the very mission they claim to have been created for.

SWRKR 01
09-11-2009, 10:20 AM
totally agreed!

Chester Field
09-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Back near the beginning of this thread, there was mention that this dog was picked up by the HS while it was running loose, unlicensed and unaltered.

The reason the HS charges the spay fee is so that people DO get their pets fixed. When they run loose and not spayed, this tends to compound the problem with unwanted dogs.

(yeah I know you said it just got loose, and that the lady was intending to get it spayed anyway, but the HS has no way of knowing this to be true or just a story to avoid paying the extra -they already know it was loose, unlicensed and not spayed)

GRUMPY
09-11-2009, 10:46 AM
While I agree with your points the fact is still that when they show up with the proof that they did in fact get their dog altered and it was done across the river they should get the full $180 back however if they got it done on this side they should only get the $90. All this is is a money grab.

lynys
09-11-2009, 10:51 AM

Now, what I want to know is, why is the elderly lady paying the impound fees on a dog that your brother allowed to get loose. It wasn't even her dog yet, and now she has to pay because your brother was an irresponsible pet owner?

I'd be feeling pretty ****ty if I made someone pay for my mistake.

GRUMPY
09-11-2009, 10:59 AM
what they worked out between them is their business and has nothing to do with the subject at hand; which is the hs ripping people off and holding their pets as hostages. it galls me when you read about the number of animals put down here in the Soo and then try to remember the last time you saw any kind of deal being offered by the hs as they do in other centers.

HDV
09-11-2009, 12:27 PM

When we had our daughter the hospital asked my wife si we wanted AHU to come in and talk to us a week after we were home with the baby and my wife was breastfeeding so they also sent in a women to help with that and weigh the baby. They never asked for paystubs or what our source of income was. they were helpful, told us about a couple classes we could take for 1st time parents if we wanted. She asked if we wanted her to come back, but we felt we did not need any help we had it under control..lol. we did have the BF women come by though for a couple weeks to help my wife get the hang of it and weigh our daughter. Then after she got the hang of it the women did not needed to come by anymore to help. We never had any issues with the at all.
the last visit she told us how great of a job we were doing for first time parents and how comfortable we were with the baby and said that she did not feel that we needed their support anymore..that the breastfeeding was going along great, baby was gaining the perfect amount of weight ect...maybe after your incident with them asking for a paystub they stopped asking people..lol. I think it was very rude of her to ask you for it and then threaten cas on you.
sorry for hijacking the thread chase me :)
as for the humane society, that is pretty wrong of them. If they know you are taking the dog to get fixed and stuff they should of just gave u the dog back, maybe made them pay for a day of the dog being there and moved on with life. They ***** and complain about no homes for dogs ect..then someone like your brother and nice women come along who want the dog have a appointment for the dog to be fixed and they act like that. money is all they think of. Not the animals the money. pretty sad really. You should send a letter to sault star or sootoday about it. maybe someone will set them in their place about this. Im sure your not the only ones this has happened to.

Intangible
09-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Personally, I don't even believe the $45 per day pound fees. They are not that high. I think someone got the wrong information, or isn't telling the whole story. Plus, they don't just keep $90 for the heck of it. I bet that is incorrect too...a misunderstanding maybe. $90 used to be the amount that they would assist you with.

Still, what annoys me is that someone who is clearly irresponsible, doesn't have the animal fixed already, lets it get loose and doesn't bother to look for it for 4 days has the nerve to be angry at the Humane Society. The woman who was supposed to get the dog isn't to blame...the original owner is.

Before you point a finger, remember that there are 3 fingers pointed right back at yourself.

09-11-2009, 06:34 PM
They (HS), has to cover their costs. Salaries, Materials, Office supplies, pet food, and anything else that isn't donated. Bills cost money. I don't think they are government funded. So they have to charge a fee for the animals.

Just like any business, they take in account for the cost for the day to have 1 pet there. $45 is reasonable. Just like a ny good business owner knows. If you sell a product, you don't just cover the cost of the product, you have to cover the cost of the person selling it, the advertising of it, the space it's taking and so on.

Sure you can GIVE a pet to an old person because they need a companion. But why doesn't anyone get a pet? Mainly for companionship. So where do you draw the line of who pays what for what animal? Do you go by age, and just give old people a pet?

Owning a pet is a huge responsibility. If you look at the amount of pets that go through that place, is just goes to show the amount irresponsible people.

Goes to show, if you can't afford a pet, you shouldn't own one.

magic mushroom
09-11-2009, 06:50 PM
the city tax payers pay the salaries and running expenses, etc.
really, you shouldn't give out information if you don't know the facts of how the shelter is run and who provides the funding for it.
get on the board of directors, you will get a lot of information, or even join as a member you will get the financials.

09-11-2009, 06:53 PM
I didn't give out information. I said "I don't think", i didn't say They don't. Also, i didn't make reference to their specific financials, I just mentioned what other business' do.

But, here's your helmet, thanks for coming out.

magic mushroom
09-11-2009, 07:01 PM
"They (HS), has to cover their costs. Salaries, Materials, Office supplies, pet food, and anything else that isn't donated."
this to me, is in reference to their financial obligations.
if you say it isn't oh well.

09-11-2009, 07:03 PM
It isn't, it's a reference to where their financials are going. So are you telling me they get all this stuff for free? No, they pay for it just like everyone else.

You didn't put that helmet on yet, did ya? :)

dancingqueen
09-11-2009, 08:31 PM
so because the HS has to pay bills (apparently city funded) this is a reason to go against their own mission statement?
holding pets hostage?
again, the reasons don't matter, it is what they are doing in this case.
Is it okay to hold a kid hostage for any reason?
no.

09-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Not really holding them hostage. More like for ransom. I believe what they are doing is right. Keeping poor people from owning pets. You can't afford the pound/adoption fee, then you obviously can't afford the vet bills.

dancingqueen
09-11-2009, 09:09 PM
why? because you can't afford the HS fees on top of the vet fees?
or, maybe you can and it is still immoral.
or is it better to kill pets because they feel you are too poor?
Why can the HS play God with pet lives, and why should the finances of the owners affect that?

09-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Is it better to kill pets or to have irresponsible people own them, breed more animals to be given away to more irresponsible people. And when they get sick, they slowly die, organ by organ, system by system, because they can't afford the help.

If people were not irresponsible, then we wouldn't need the HS.

dancingqueen
09-11-2009, 09:14 PM
your post is logical, assuming every potential pet owner is irresponsible. That is not the case.
therefore your options are not limited to just the two choices.

09-11-2009, 09:17 PM
How are your supposed to define who is responsible and who isn't? Majority of irresponsible pet owners, generally can't afford to purchase such a lump sum for the pet. So it just weeds them out right off the hop.

Anyone that makes a $190 investment, generally are a bit more repsonsible with pets.

This isn't saying that rich people are all responsible, and poor people aren't.

09-11-2009, 09:20 PM
A lot of private sales I've seen on the internet are people selling their pets for $100, because they want to see them go to a good home.

Honestly how bad would you feel if an elderly person, who can't afford a vet, had a pet that was seriously ill? Would you feel bad in that animal has to suffer?

Not to bring stuff personally, but you feel strongly against the government and not supplying your diabetic medication. So in the sense, the people who are supposed to look after you will not, and that makes you angry.

What is the difference between a pet owner not supplying the best health for a pet when it's SUPPOSED to be their responsibility?

I don't want to see you suffer in the hands of the government, nor do I want to see a dog suffer in the hands of a irresponsible owner (Irresponsibile in that they should not have owned the pet in the first place)

dancingqueen
09-11-2009, 09:27 PM
How are your supposed to define who is responsible and who isn't? Majority of irresponsible pet owners, generally can't afford to purchase such a lump sum for the pet. So it just weeds them out right off the hop.

Anyone that makes a $190 investment, generally are a bit more repsonsible with pets.

This isn't saying that rich people are all responsible, and poor people aren't.

That is exactly what you just said...

09-11-2009, 09:38 PM
That is exactly what you just said...

No it's saying generally :) 8/10 poor people can't afford the help a dog would need. 2/10 rich people don't care about the pet.

dancingqueen
09-11-2009, 09:42 PM
and that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

09-11-2009, 09:45 PM
It kind does.

OP is complaining about the funding for the pet -> Discussion about funding -> reiterates the fact if you can't afford a pet you shouldn't have one.

dancingqueen
09-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Okay T-pot.

chase_me
09-11-2009, 09:49 PM
i give up this thread is out of control lol. No one said that i agreed with the fact that he didn't look for the dog for four days, one of which was a holiday btw, it was just the fees and **** but meh.

09-11-2009, 09:49 PM
LOL It's true.

Just answer me this, and i'll shut up.

Should someone own something they can't take care of? Especially a living thing.

09-11-2009, 09:50 PM
i give up this thread is out of control lol. No one said that i agreed with the fact that he didn't look for the dog for four days, one of which was a holiday btw, it was just the fees and **** but meh.

I love you.

kitca
09-12-2009, 11:00 AM
oh come on, accidents happen. dogs get loose from the best intentions, it just happens. and it was the holidays - what can you do when the place is closed for the long weekend?

i think the original problem was all the added fees. especially the 45 boarding fees and the 90 that you are not going to get back. that adds up to alot of money this lady was not expecting. i also think the young man should be paying for that since the dog was lost on his watch.

Peety
09-12-2009, 11:04 AM
LOL It's true.

Just answer me this, and i'll shut up.

Should someone own something they can't take care of? Especially a living thing.

No they should not..
Some people can not feed the kids they have..A pet is a extra burden.

icecapp
09-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Peety your statment reminds me of

when you see people posting they are on a low income and posting looking for donations of cloths household stuff, etc but then they leave email me here or call my cell or home phone at yadda yadda.

I just think to myself well why would you not drop the interent and the cell maybe you could by youself a pair of pants or find a bed etc....

Peety
09-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Peety your statment reminds me of

when you see people posting they are on a low income and posting looking for donations of cloths household stuff, etc but then they leave email me here or call my cell or home phone at yadda yadda.

I just think to myself well why would you not drop the interent and the cell maybe you could by youself a pair of pants or find a bed etc....

No kidding..
If I couldn't afford my pets I sure would not have a cell or all the fun toys..
I don't have any toys..so I can feed my pets and take them to the vet.

icecapp
09-12-2009, 11:10 AM
No kidding..
If I couldn't afford my pets I sure would not have a cell or all the fun toys..
I don't have any toys..so I can feed my pets and take them to the vet.

You have no toys.. YA ok.. not what your other half said :p

Peety
09-12-2009, 11:10 AM
You have no toys.. YA ok.. not what your other half said :p

LOL..:teeth:

GRUMPY
09-12-2009, 11:14 AM
oh come on, accidents happen. dogs get loose from the best intentions, it just happens. and it was the holidays - what can you do when the place is closed for the long weekend?

i think the original problem was all the added fees. especially the 45 boarding fees and the 90 that you are not going to get back. that adds up to alot of money this lady was not expecting. i also think the young man should be paying for that since the dog was lost on his watch.

you forget in P-Pot land things are perfect there are no accidents.

09-12-2009, 11:19 AM
I didn't say anything about the animals getting out. It happens, my at ran out last week. Re read your facts.

Only thing I said was poor people shouldn't own pets.

iluvchristian
09-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Dogs:
Adoption fee for Dogs that have been Spayed or Neutered through the SPCA during stay at shelter
* $130 total

Adoption fee for Unaltered Dogs and Puppies
* $30 adoption fee + spay/neuter deposit of $90 on dogs and puppies

So even IF they assumed ownership of dog, where is the $180 PLUS the $45 pound stay coming from?
http://hosting.soonet.ca/humanesociety/AdoptionInformation.htm

kitca
09-13-2009, 09:26 PM
those are adoption fees not stray fees.

I Wonder Why
09-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Seems interesting that you don't see responses from the HS.Probably because they are full of integrity and don't need to respond to porly directed accusations. I and the large majority of people in this city are happy with the work these people do. Try walking in the shoes of these employees and management. Oh and as far as funds fom the city, that would be for animal control just like the police and fire dept.

dancingqueen
09-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Seems interesting that you don't see responses from the HS.Probably because they are full of integrity and don't need to respond to porly directed accusations. I and the large majority of people in this city are happy with the work these people do. Try walking in the shoes of these employees and management. Oh and as far as funds fom the city, that would be for animal control just like the police and fire dept.

or, cause they know they are crooks and really would have no way of defending themselves.

I Wonder Why
09-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Oh good one

chase_me
09-14-2009, 05:53 PM
omg dq your avatar is hawt lol

dancingqueen
09-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Oh good one

I know, I'm pretty awesome.

dancingqueen
09-14-2009, 06:02 PM