PDA

View Full Version : Question about highschools

SIMBA
09-11-2009, 12:16 AM
My son attends St. Basils Secondary, grade nine. One of the rules of the school is that they are not allowed to have anything to drink in the halls or classroom. If caught, they are suspended. It is 90 degrees outside and these kids are wearing heavy uniforms and I find it retarded that they are not allowing the kids to have a drink of water at their locker or classroom. I don't see any justification in this rule at all. The school has water and pop machines in the hall, so how much sense does that make? In elementry school they were allowed water at their desks.
Water fountains should be banned with all the germs on them...yuck.

My question is.. are the public highschools like this as well? I'm curious to know before I head the school in the morning to tell the principal how ridiculous this rule is..

IMHO
09-11-2009, 12:19 AM
What a dumb rule in hot weather. The principal is paid enough to be able to make a decsion without a parent having to go to the school. Give her heck.

dancingqueen
09-11-2009, 12:21 AM
they might get water all over the granite floors, or the metal lockers... you know how hard that is to get out....
Why does it matter if other schools are doing it?
I would love to bring this up and have them tell me "well it isn't a problem in other schools"

Cause I would let them know how much I am suddenly reminded of when my mom used to ask me if all my friends jumped off the bridge would I do it?

Peety
CANS AND BOTTLED BEVERAGES IN SCHOOL
No glass beverage containers may be brought into the building.
Only juice and water sold in plastic bottles may be consumed in
the building, and its consumption shall be contained in the
cafeteria area. For sanitary and health reasons, all empty plastic
bottles shall be deposited into the trash container marked
"RECYCLABLES ONLY". Failure to comply with this policy may
result in the closing of commons and/or removal of the beverage
machines. The period of time the machines will be open, shall be
determined by the Principal. NO FOOD OR DRINK IS
ALLOWED IN THE HALLWAYS OR CLASSROOMS.

Thats in the algoma school rule book.

Tutones
My question is.. are the public highschools like this as well? I'm curious to know before I head the school in the morning to tell the principal how ridiculous this rule is..I can only vouch for my school as each school's policy may be different. Technically no food or drink is allowed in the hallway but, students are allowed water bottles only as long as the lids are on when they are not drinking out of them. They can have a water bottle in class (with lid) as long as they are not in a computer area. No juice, milk etc... though. At one time even water was not allowed but the students petitioned for health reasons and the administration thought they gave an effective argument ;) I like it because it cuts down on the trips to the water fountain. I've yet to have any student spill in class and it's been about five years now that we've allowed it.

I teach for ADSB.

H.E. Pennypacker
09-11-2009, 12:22 AM
its been that way there for a long time

dancingqueen
09-11-2009, 12:25 AM
When I was in high school no one cared as long as you were not making a mess. If you did, you just got in trouble... I think some of these rules are just getting to a point of ridiculous and is nothing more than a result of too many teachers to lazy to address behavior on an individual basis.

SIMBA
09-11-2009, 12:29 AM
Ya I agree DQ. I guess I'll just have to go and voice my opinion. Wouldn't be the first time. I'm going to request that they take the water machines out of the hall then and put them in the cafeteria then. Makes sense. Otherwise they are just contradicting themselves. I'm wondering if highschools are military school or a highschool for crying out loud.

My son also said that his teachers have coffee and other beverages at their desks and are walking down the halls with it. God help them if I catch one of them...lol

lk_wicked
09-11-2009, 12:38 AM
When I was in high school no one cared as long as you were not making a mess. If you did, you just got in trouble... I think some of these rules are just getting to a point of ridiculous and is nothing more than a result of too many teachers to lazy to address behavior on an individual basis.

Just a question dq but did you call the school and ask them, out of sheer curiousity about the rule. Maybe they are not allowe to have them in hallways, because if liquid is spilled in the hallway and not wiped up, and a teacher or student slips and falls, the school is liable. Just one idea. Perhaps the teachers will allow in the the classrooms where they are not working with chemicals, like in science, or auto, or computers because of the electronics.

The schools have rules about cell phones, yet most kids, mine included bring them to school and text eachother when the teacher is not looking. I started allowing my daughter to bring her cell to school, because the secretary was a B# to her, and would not allow her to use the phone to call me, when she was crying, upset, or having an asthma attack. So when they tried to suspend my daughter for having the cell phone, I explained to the principle, that I would not allow the suspension, and would take it over his head, to the school board, because my daughter and other students were not being allowed to phone their parents throughout the day.
Funny when I mentioned filing a complaint with the school board, the principle dropped the argument and my daughter continued to bring her cell to school. However I am strict enough that the phone was to be off, unless she needed to call me. and that is the one advantage to cell phones, you can check the bills and know what time frames your kids are on them. lol

Hans
09-11-2009, 12:44 AM
See what happens when you have to wear heavy school uniforms?

dancingqueen
09-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Just a question dq but did you call the school and ask them, out of sheer curiousity about the rule. Maybe they are not allowe to have them in hallways, because if liquid is spilled in the hallway and not wiped up, and a teacher or student slips and falls, the school is liable. Just one idea. Perhaps the teachers will allow in the the classrooms where they are not working with chemicals, like in science, or auto, or computers because of the electronics.

That does not begin to explain why it is okay for teachers to do it, and not students.
Same thing is a problem if a kid is outside playing skipping or hopscotch or working in machine shop with oil on the floor, or going for a smoke in the winter. Kids will slip and fall and hurt themselves and accidents will go on, what is next? all students must wear bubble wrap and all corners must be rounded off or protected with soft covers?
"Liability" does not fly in this kind of setting, there are much more potential dangers that are much more easily preventable that no efforts to do so are made.

lk_wicked
09-11-2009, 12:59 AM
That does not begin to explain why it is okay for teachers to do it, and not students.
Same thing is a problem if a kid is outside playing skipping or hopscotch or working in machine shop with oil on the floor, or going for a smoke in the winter. Kids will slip and fall and hurt themselves and accidents will go on, what is next? all students must wear bubble wrap and all corners must be rounded off or protected with soft covers?
"Liability" does not fly in this kind of setting, there are much more potential dangers that are much more easily preventable that no efforts to do so are made.

ummmmm dq do you have kids, lol or anybody out there, how many things do you do as an adult that you wouldnt want or allow your kids to do.
==swear,smoke, sex, talk back, take meds, miss work cause you just needed a day off, )kids would be skipping school) liability was just an example of the school's reasoning I was questioning.

Dont get me wrong, I agree with you. Especially in this heat, and kids should never be denied water or fluid when they are thursty. My daughter has frequent asthma attack when it is humid or hot out, so she desperately needs to keep hydrated. I am just saying call the school, find out their reasoning, and tell the principle, that your child is to be allowed to go to the drinking fountain whenever he needs to, (but not in front of your child.) Tell your child he is allowed to go get a drink at the fountain whenever he needs to, but that if you find out he is abusing that, your will change your policy with him.
I only said not in front of your child to the principle because I caution you to not undermine the other adult's authority in front of your child, so that your child continues to be respectful to the principle,

dancingqueen
09-11-2009, 01:18 AM
ummmmm dq do you have kids, lol or anybody out there, how many things do you do as an adult that you wouldnt want or allow your kids to do.
==swear,smoke, sex, talk back, take meds, miss work cause you just needed a day off, )kids would be skipping school) have access to a bottle of water.....

liability was just an example of the school's reasoning I was questioning.

Dont get me wrong, I agree with you. Especially in this heat, and kids should never be denied water or fluid when they are thursty. My daughter has frequent asthma attack when it is humid or hot out, so she desperately needs to keep hydrated. I am just saying call the school, find out their reasoning, and tell the principle, that your child is to be allowed to go to the drinking fountain whenever he needs to, (but not in front of your child.) Tell your child he is allowed to go get a drink at the fountain whenever he needs to, but that if you find out he is abusing that, your will change your policy with him.
I only said not in front of your child to the principle because I caution you to not undermine the other adult's authority in front of your child, so that your child continues to be respectful to the principle,

That's just what I'm saying. Yes, there are rules that have logical, realistic, consistent reasoning behind them. There is no excuse for this rule. at all. There are some that sure, should be enforced. like don't run in the halls, that's just rude to other people. don't swear. Some people don't like those words. Don't bring peanuts in lunch. Some people have really sensitive allergies that can cause death regardless of how the ailment could have been handled by the parents at an earlier time. but "liability" is a silly excuse for any rule to be enforced in a building full of 200 some odd teenagers.

bluekrissyspikes
09-11-2009, 01:25 AM
i wouldn't send my kids to a school with uniforms that smother them but i will also teach my kids that although they need to obey rules there are times when questioning the rules are okay and that if necessary they can disregard a rule if that rule does more harm than good. so far my ten year old knows this stuff, the other ones are still too little to understand. bring up the schools in the us that are in deep kaka for not letting kids have water because children have become very sick and die. my parents always told me to listen to the teachers but if i NEEDED to do something and wasn't allowed, do it anyways. that's need, not want.

dancingqueen
09-11-2009, 01:35 AM
I agree, I think teaching your children that it is okay to question what they don't understand is vital. It helps develop critical thinking, plus if they understand why the rule is in place, they are following it not because they are just told to. They know and understand and (likely) respect the rule.