PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on the flu Shot??

Babzz
09-15-2009, 12:40 PM
I received a flyer today regarding the two flu shots and it has me thinking. I have never got one before because the idea of someone injecting me with a virus seems just wrong. Apparently there are two shots this year. the usual one and the one for H1N1 flu. I was thinking most of this was media hype, but am now considering getting the shot.. Anyone else feel this way?? Just curious. My son is 13 and if I get the shot , I feel he should too.
I do remember vividly how sick my mom got after a flu shot and this disturbs me.. hmmmmm
Should I or should I not.. Opinions wanted please

Peety
09-15-2009, 12:51 PM
I have never gotton a flu shot in my life and am rarely sick.
I know people who get it every season and are sick all winter.

SWRKR 01
09-15-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't get them but am told that as I get older they might be something I should consider as it lessens the impactt of the flu should you get it. That makes sense to me....but I never was one for needles.... LOL

Giggle Squirt
09-15-2009, 01:40 PM
I have never gotten the flu shot, and i have never made my kids get the shot. my mom got it one year and was very sick. We lead a healthy avtive lifestyle and are hardly sick. any vacination you get has part of the virus in it, not just the flu shot.

$Spendbender$
09-15-2009, 02:25 PM
I get a flu shot every other year or so. Never fails, every time I get a shot, I get the flu. Could be co-incidence? I don't know. Last year I decided to get the flu shot - never been sicker in my life.

Carolyn
09-15-2009, 02:27 PM
I refuse to get the H1N1 shot only because I don't feel it has been tested enough, I feel the government is trying to push it out too fast and that worries me.

Luv'inLife
09-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Ussually if you "get sick" after the flu shot, you already had the virus, the flu shot to me is no worse than injecting our children with things like measles, mumps and polio(just my opinion), I have had to get the flu shot because of work for the last 10 years and have had no problems, my Mom is also a Cancer survivor and the thought of bringing her a virus is not good, or if she was in the hospital and I could not go see her. My children all get the flu shot also so if something was too happen that Gramma was in the hospital they could go, thay have never had a problem either.

It is a personal choice.

bluekrissyspikes
09-15-2009, 04:44 PM
i used to get it every year but i haven't gotten it since i moved here. i haven't been any more or less sick

kitca
09-15-2009, 09:31 PM
it scares the crap out of me! i think years back that vacinations were good and honest. but now, i do not trust the pharma.... companies one bit. i dont think things are tested well enough and money is more important than health in my opinion. i have seen people have bad sick reactions and it scares me. though, through my work ive seen lots of folks get the shot with no reaction. my hubby has to get it for work (or not get paid for the duration of an outbreak) and he has had a sore arm and is so so so very much more prone to sickness since he has started getting the shots.

Santana
09-15-2009, 11:24 PM
I got the flu shot for the first time for work a couple of years ago and I was really sick from it. My doctor didn't know I have a mild egg allergy and I didn't know it mattered. I was violently ill for about three days and then wound up getting a nasty case of the flu later in the winter. I must not have been vaccinated against that particular strain and it was horrible; it lasted weeks. I told my supervisor and she said I have to get a note or I will have to get the flu shot this year because I am in contact with a lot of people everyday. I will gladly pay for a note for work to avoid it lol.

kitty&mimi
09-17-2009, 08:02 AM
when i'd get the flu shot i wouldnt get sick
if i dont get the flu shot i get some nasty crap
this yr my flu shot is booked and im booking the H1N1 when it's available

A*lil*Loopy
09-17-2009, 06:23 PM
They recommend it for those with a compromised immune system especially and my doctor had insisted I get it.

OK, I won't do it again. I got sick, sick enough that I was down for almost a month right after my flu shot. All the flu symptoms just stretched out over that time, and it took a lot out of me. This isn't as uncommon as some think. I've spoken to people who are in the medical field and they have told me that they see it sometimes. Despite my system, I choose not to have the flu shot and have not had the flu since, but hadn't had it before then either.

I also choose not to have the H1N1 shot because I also feel it has been pushed on us without enough thought/research. It kind of scares me to hear that every year they are trying to develop a vaccine to fit the "new strain" that has been found.

Careful hygiene and common sense helps so much when it comes to protecting yourself from any virus.

Good luck with your decision Babzz, it's a tough one to make and it's really easy to over-think these things.

Super Gram
09-18-2009, 07:21 AM
I got the flu shot for the first time for work a couple of years ago and I was really sick from it. My doctor didn't know I have a mild egg allergy and I didn't know it mattered. I was violently ill for about three days and then wound up getting a nasty case of the flu later in the winter. I must not have been vaccinated against that particular strain and it was horrible; it lasted weeks. I told my supervisor and she said I have to get a note or I will have to get the flu shot this year because I am in contact with a lot of people everyday. I will gladly pay for a note for work to avoid it lol.

They always ask if you have an egg allergy. If you do I would think they would not give you the shot. I don't think the Dr. would mind giving a note.

Carolyn
09-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Okay I have a question, sorry if this is hijacking it, I am on a corticosteriod for my Crohn's disease and was told by the doctor last night that I have to make sure I get all my vaccinations and shots (ie the flu shot) but when reading the paperwork last night on this new drug I am on, it said to avoid getting any shots or vaccinations, so I am a little confused, any suggestions here?

Babzz
09-18-2009, 09:39 AM
I am still unsure of what I want to do...
I do not trust our government and wonder if there is any truth to the media hype regarding the flu that is coming.
I am leaning towards following my instinct and not getting the shot and hoping this not a mistake on my end for my son and I.

If it was just me ,then it would be easier to deal with. I am making the choice for both of us though. I do not want us to get sick or have the after effects( what ever they may be) of these shots for the swine flu !
My immune is not so great since my surgery, so really on the fence regarding this...

Any doctors or nurses in the house?? I am hoping for an un bias opinion on this. Is it all media or this flu as bad as what I have heard?? I hate making these decisions!!!
I have researched on line and from what i have seen there is no clear answer on this

Jack Butler
09-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Okay I have a question, sorry if this is hijacking it, I am on a corticosteriod for my Crohn's disease and was told by the doctor last night that I have to make sure I get all my vaccinations and shots (ie the flu shot) but when reading the paperwork last night on this new drug I am on, it said to avoid getting any shots or vaccinations, so I am a little confused, any suggestions here?

You are intitled to a consultation with your pharmacist, when using more than one prescription drug.
Maybe just a phone call would do?

I think one of healthiest things that can happen to you, is to fight off the flu.
It's brutal being that sick, but you are healthier in the long run for it, IMO!
Which vaccine is used is a guess at best....last time they were wrong, so....

Carolyn
09-18-2009, 03:48 PM
I had asked the pharmacist regarding it and she had no idea whether or not to get the flu shot.

Lollypop
09-18-2009, 10:45 PM
I have gotten the flu shot for the last 15 years, I have never had the flu during outbreak season. As far as the H1, I will be getting that also.
Work in a nursing home, and see the effects on the elderly.
No flu shot, no entering the building during an outbreak.

On a personal note, even when it wasen't mandatory, I still got the shot, I had young children and elderly in laws. I came home from work and my work clothes went straight into the washer, and my shoes would be put away.

Santana
09-19-2009, 01:01 PM
They always ask if you have an egg allergy. If you do I would think they would not give you the shot. I don't think the Dr. would mind giving a note.

He definitely didn't ask me if I had an allergy to eggs. I saw him yesterday or something and he asked if I was getting another flu shot this year. I said no then asked, in an off-handed way, why he did not ask me if I was allergic to eggs last year. He said that he had looked at my chart and had seen my allergies but eggs were not listed so he didn't think it would be a problem. My chart states that I have no food allergies, just allergies to other things. Turns out I had no idea I was allergic to eggs when I saw him the first time many years ago. He gave me a note to take to work Monday morning because I told him I didn't want to go through that terrible experience ever again!

icecapp
09-20-2009, 11:46 AM
I do not have a choice, My little man has asthma real bad and the 2 yrs ago was hospitalized with it, for almost 1 week.. then only 3 weeks later back in again, they told me had I of not gotten the flu shot they could turn me down to be in there with my son 24/7 and only go in on visiting hrs....

I used to get sick after having it.. but I dont anymore.

I am also alergic to neomycin which is in one of the two different compounds made for the flu shot, I have to tell them every yr I need the one with out the neomycin.

Puppy Lover
09-22-2009, 11:05 AM

Just to clarify a few misconceptions. A "mild allergy to eggs" would not be a contraindication to receiving the flu vaccine. If you are able to eat eggs or products containing eggs (baked goods, cakes, donuts, etc.), you are not "allergic to eggs". Some people have a sensitivity to certain foods, but a true allergy cause a response such as hives, trouble breathing, etc. If indeed, you have a SEVERE reaction to eggs or are unable to eat eggs or any foods containing eggs, then you definitely should not have the vaccine.

Puppy Lover
09-22-2009, 11:12 AM
I am still unsure of what I want to do...
I do not trust our government and wonder if there is any truth to the media hype regarding the flu that is coming.
I am leaning towards following my instinct and not getting the shot and hoping this not a mistake on my end for my son and I.

If it was just me ,then it would be easier to deal with. I am making the choice for both of us though. I do not want us to get sick or have the after effects( what ever they may be) of these shots for the swine flu !
My immune is not so great since my surgery, so really on the fence regarding this...

Any doctors or nurses in the house?? I am hoping for an un bias opinion on this. Is it all media or this flu as bad as what I have heard?? I hate making these decisions!!!
I have researched on line and from what i have seen there is no clear answer on this

Hi Babzz,

I am a nurse with 30 years of experience and I am somewhat in agreement with your concerns regarding the H1N1 vaccine. I expect that further information will be forthcoming as they are still doing research studies on the safety and efficacy of the vaccine.

As for the regular flu shot that has been available for many many years, it is a very safe vaccine. It is NOT a live virus, therefore you CANNOT get sick from having a flu shot. This is a very common misconception that people have. Anyone who claims to have become sick following a flu shot, has already had the virus prior to the injection.

Another misconception is that the "flu" is vomiting, diarrhea, etc. In fact, the "flu" is primarily respiratory, meaning that you get a cough, fever, nasal congestion, upper respiratory symptoms. Vomiting and diarrhea are associated with gastrointestinal viruses and are commonly referred to as the "stomach flu". The vaccine does not protect you from "stomach flu", but rather it is meant to protect you from respiratory illness.

Hope that clears things up a bit for you. I would HIGHLY recommend the regular flu shot for everyone. As for the H1N1, at this time, I would say it is very important for high risk individuals (pregnant women, frail elderly, diabetics, cancer patients, etc.)

Andre
09-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Hi Babzz,
As for the regular flu shot that has been available for many many years, it is a very safe vaccine. It is NOT a live virus, therefore you CANNOT get sick from having a flu shot. This is a very common misconception that people have. Anyone who claims to have become sick following a flu shot, has already had the virus prior to the injection.

You should talk to some ambulance drivers. They might disagree with you. EMS calls almost always go up at vaccination times.

Puppy Lover
09-22-2009, 12:45 PM
You should talk to some ambulance drivers. They might disagree with you. EMS calls almost always go up at vaccination times.

I will stand on my 30 years of experience as a Nurse and Nurse Practitioner, thanks. I don't need to talk to any EMS drivers to justify my statement. It is NOT a live virus. You cannot get the flu from an inactivated virus, plain and simple.

Andre
09-22-2009, 12:56 PM
ok maybe I should have been clearer. I was referring to the safety of the shot. People have negative reactions to the flu shot. Some immediately or within 24 hours that mimic flu like symptoms or more extreme reactions.
They vary year to year but the number of reactions some years is down rite scary.

Puppy Lover
09-22-2009, 01:16 PM
I can't really comment on reactions to the actual injection except to say that I have been involved in flu clinics for over 20 years and I have never had a severe adverse reaction reported. As health care providers, we are required to report all reactions to the Ministry of Health, and locally, I have no knowledge of severe reactions. I would think that it is very common to have patients with localized reactions (sore arm, site reddened and/or warm to touch, mild fever, etc.) but those reactions pale in comparison to the illness. With the threat of a pandemic looming, I still think that the benefits outweigh the risks.

Babzz
09-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Ironically, I am sick with the flu, which as turned into pneumonia now :(
Did not have a flu shot

Puppy Lover
09-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Ironically, I am sick with the flu, which as turned into pneumonia now :(
Did not have a flu shot

I would recommend that you get a flu shot when they become available in late October/early November. I would also recommend that you get the Pneumovax vaccine.

Giggle Squirt
09-22-2009, 04:17 PM
the nasal spray vaccine does contain the live virus, the shot does not contain a live virus. According to my doctor the shot is safe for pregnant women and the nasal spray is not.

johnnypezz
09-23-2009, 02:37 AM
Flu shot = no good

Sweet Little Sister
09-24-2009, 12:45 PM
my Mom just called the place at Cambrian Mall to book her flu shot and they told her they weren't giving flu shots this year..the gov't has stopped them from being done as of now and to wait until she hears something in the news about when she can get one.
???

$Spendbender$
09-24-2009, 05:30 PM
http://www.soonews.ca/viewarticle.php?id=22488

"...given at the clinic located in the Cambrian Mall"??

kitca
09-24-2009, 08:14 PM
well, i am certainly not going to argue with a nurse and nurse praction...(sp?) however, in my years, i have seen bad reactions. my mom has had 2 flu shots. the first time she was healthy as a horse, a day or two after the shot she had severe back pain and was laid up in bed feeling very sick and suffering severe back pain for over a week. she put it up to a coincidience (sp, again). so, she had the shot the next year and the very same thing happened to her. she has not had the shot anymore and has never had this happen. just 2 times, and both right after the flu shot.

my dad got a flu shot shortly after a surgery (hernia maybe) anyway, within a couple days of the shot his incision bloated up to the size of a volleyball. it had been healing just fine and all of a sudden he bloated. he must have had ten pounds of puss in there.

my hubby, never ever sick, now cronic sore arm in the upper area where he gets the shot every year (manditory for work) and he gets minor illnesses all year round now when he never used to. plus the several reactions i have seen from my folks at work (though more about 10-12 years ago)(and my mom and dads reactions were about 8-9 years ago or so) i dont know if things have changed since then.

i have heard that several of the doctors at the hospital have refused to get flu shots over the years. i am literally scared to sh@t of getting it.

Sweet Little Sister
09-25-2009, 08:47 AM
http://www.soonews.ca/viewarticle.php?id=22488

"...given at the clinic located in the Cambrian Mall"??

Thanks Spendy.. i'll get her to call back and tell her not to lie about her age this time. ;)

$Spendbender$
09-25-2009, 09:43 AM
LOL! np

I just wonder what the nurse/receptionist she talked to was thinking. I bet she's probably quite surprised this morning!

Just goes to show, not everyone knows their job.:confused2:

Giggle Squirt
09-25-2009, 06:03 PM
there are 3 places in the cambrian mall that people assume do the flu shot. They usually call life labs or the walk in clinic. Not the health promotion.

Bob Toe
10-24-2009, 12:38 PM
I called the number for the H1N1 flu shot this morning and finally got through at 11:40 A.M. I thought I would be waiting till around the end of next month but I got an appointment for Oct. 28 in the morning. I mentioned that I had been bumped from the regular flu shot because I wasn't 65 so she made me an appointment for Dec. 7. As the saying goes, "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead". Maybe I am right and maybe I am wrong. Time will tell.

TheManInBlack
10-26-2009, 11:18 PM
This is the first reason why your shouldn't have the shot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Glocer
This man is the CEO of Thomson Reuters and former CEO of Reuters (pretty much where all media stories come from)

But He is a director of Merck & Co., Inc Also (Maker of the Swine Flu Vaccine)

HRMMMMM Maybe the reason why all the swine flu hype is going around. Think maybe alot of stories are hitting the news to drive up the earnings of his other company

In case you don't like WIKI as a source. Maybe you'll trust FORBES
http://people.forbes.com/profile/tho...y-glocer/52780

bluekrissyspikes
10-27-2009, 01:00 AM
I can't really comment on reactions to the actual injection except to say that I have been involved in flu clinics for over 20 years and I have never had a severe adverse reaction reported. As health care providers, we are required to report all reactions to the Ministry of Health, and locally, I have no knowledge of severe reactions. I would think that it is very common to have patients with localized reactions (sore arm, site reddened and/or warm to touch, mild fever, etc.) but those reactions pale in comparison to the illness. With the threat of a pandemic looming, I still think that the benefits outweigh the risks.

what about the people who's children get vaccine effected and develope autism and ppdnos? that wouldn't be reported to you and most doctors brush it off like it doesn't happen. my daughters doctor said that could not have possibly happened because she doesn't beleive in it...then it doesn't get reported and can't be recorded as it should be.

TheManInBlack
10-27-2009, 08:48 AM
what about the people who's children get vaccine effected and develope autism and ppdnos? that wouldn't be reported to you and most doctors brush it off like it doesn't happen. my daughters doctor said that could not have possibly happened because she doesn't beleive in it...then it doesn't get reported and can't be recorded as it should be.

BINGO, Thermisol is mercury + Mercury BAAAAD. Not to mention the lovely squaline in it. Ask the guys who fought in the original desert storm about squaline

b&aMom
10-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Just a point of information. When you get a virus or bacterial infection, what makes you feel ill is your immune system running amok, trying to tackle the infection. It makes you achy (body making more white cells to fight the war), makes your nose run (run those bugger germs out!), gives you a fever (create in inhospitable environment, working overtime), etc., all in an effort to tackle the foreign invaders. Just what do you think happens with a vaccination? The same damned thing. It does not make you sick, it does not *necessarily* mean you were sick before and didn't know it, it means your immune system is running amok, trying to tackle the invader, just like when you're infected naturally.

Maybe some reading on how the human body works may clarify.

MaO3
10-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Well I went to the clinic today to get the last of my twinRix shots, I needed the final one. THe nurse and I discussed the H1N1 and I decided to go ahead with it. I have a close family member who has a compromised immune system right now and I am afraid that I may inadvertantly infect her. So I took my chances and got the shot.
I'll let you all know if I survive. ;)

kitca
10-27-2009, 09:12 PM
i have booked an appt for the h1n1 vacc. i think it is a more serious risk and much more a reality. i am still scared of the regular flu vacc.

Tutones
10-28-2009, 08:30 AM

It's the Mercury in the vaccines that has been linked to autism; however, Canadian Vaccines for Children have not contained Mercury since 1994.

bluekrissyspikes
10-28-2009, 09:48 AM
It's the Mercury in the vaccines that has been linked to autism; however, Canadian Vaccines for Children have not contained Mercury since 1994.

Most of them don't. They vaccinate children for hep and that contains it, and so does the yearly flu shots. The mercury might be what is linked to the problems but i doubt all the other horrible things they sometimes put into the vaccines are much better. i don't know what shot it was that effected her. she got a few the same week. All i know is she hasn't been the same since. She NEVER 'flapped' her hands before that point. she has other symptoms as well. Autism has the same symptoms as Mercury poisoning. i don't know about squaline but there's lead and formaldahyde in them too. that stuff must be great for the kids.

TheManInBlack
10-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Most of them don't. They vaccinate children for hep and that contains it, and so does the yearly flu shots. The mercury might be what is linked to the problems but i doubt all the other horrible things they sometimes put into the vaccines are much better. i don't know what shot it was that effected her. she got a few the same week. All i know is she hasn't been the same since. She NEVER 'flapped' her hands before that point. she has other symptoms as well. Autism has the same symptoms as Mercury poisoning. i don't know about squaline but there's lead and formaldahyde in them too. that stuff must be great for the kids.

Thermisol and Squaline are in all of the H1N1 vaccines unless the more expensive single shot is ordered

bluekrissyspikes
10-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Thermisol and Squaline are in all of the H1N1 vaccines unless the more expensive single shot is ordered

i meant the routine baby immunizations don't have the thermisol in them anymore. or so they say.

pickles for sale
10-28-2009, 02:54 PM
I wonder why thermisol was removed from childhood shots, excluding the flu shots. Of course the vaccine makers say there is no connection between the shot and autism.....they only have billions of dollars to lose if there is a connection....so there isn't....that doesn't comfort me.

Also....I wonder why a lot of health care providers don't get the shot. Do they know something?

And the regular flu shot is always out of date, based on a flu from the previous year.....

This shot is just too new for me....

verotik66
10-29-2009, 12:02 AM

if you are pregnant a dose of adjuvant free vaccine is available, they have 1+ million doses of that one.

verotik66
10-29-2009, 12:03 AM
i meant the routine baby immunizations don't have the thermisol in them anymore. or so they say.

recent studies have disproved any link to autism

nightingale
10-29-2009, 03:28 AM
There are not a lot of health care working who do not get their flu shots - nearly all do.

The amount of thermisol (mercury) in one flu shot is comparable to LESS mercury in a can of tuna. It is that small.

TheManInBlack
10-29-2009, 10:55 AM
There are not a lot of health care working who do not get their flu shots - nearly all do.

The amount of thermisol (mercury) in one flu shot is comparable to LESS mercury in a can of tuna. It is that small.

Actually it depends on if its administered correctly. You get one lazy nurse who doesnt shake the bottle and your shild could end up with a large dose of the mercury

yoda
10-30-2009, 06:47 AM
[QUOTE=nightingale;508481]There are not a lot of health care working who do not get their flu shots - nearly all do.

a lot of our frontline healthcare workers are starting to get sick now, because they have not been vaccinated in time.

Pleiades
10-30-2009, 08:49 AM

There's also a lot of mercury found in fish and wild meats. Still doesn't mean it's good for you.

pickles for sale
11-01-2009, 12:39 PM
recent studies have disproved any link to autism

Can you link some of these studies? Were they studies done without any money or link to the makers of the vaccines?

lk_wicked
11-01-2009, 04:50 PM

My son also has crohn's disease and is getting a remicade infusion every eight weeks. his doctor is doctor bignell, who i think is fantastic. I called him, and he said to get the vaccine asap. My son has received no vaccines since he was age 11 when he was initially diagnosed. this h1n1 vaccine is not a live vaccine. YOU DO NOT WANT ANY LIVE VACCINES WHEN YOU ARE IMMUNE COMPROMISED. |The h1n1 is not a live vaccine.

because of your illness, you are at an even higher risk of not being able to fight the virus on your own.

my advise, get the vaccine. we all got ours on friday, and my son as well as the rest of us are doing fine. sore arm, headache, and that was it.

lk_wicked
11-01-2009, 05:10 PM
MERCURY the amount of mercury in an injection is less then you would get in a can a tuna. so everybody stop eating tuna. And of course lets all get those mercury fillings out of our teeth, the silver ones, thats mercury.

food for thought lol

at the end of the day, ask yourself this question.

WHAT IF I DONT VACCINATE MY KIDS OR MYSELF BECAUSE I DONT KNOW THE LONG TERM EFFECTS OF THIS DRUG, AND TAKE A BIG CHANCE ON THE SHORTER TERM EFFECT WHICH IS ESSENTIALLY "[POSSIBLY DEATH"? CAN I LIVE WITH THAT CHOICE?

ALL i know is that as a mother, a parent and a wife, I choose the best odds for the health and welfare of my family. We have all been vaccinated. I want my family to have the best odds of survival, that they can have.

also ask yourself?

how many to date have died from the H1N1 flu or the flu to date.?
how many have died or had serious side effects from the vaccines.?

It is a hard call, and it is frightening. There are always going to be a small percentage of the population that are unexpectedly adversely affected.

What can you live with at the end of the day.

DeleteAccout
11-02-2009, 11:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53BhSBilvN8 ....... I think I'll hold off on getting my flu shot after seeing this video.

I don't get Flu shots, and I never get sick. I have perenial allergies so I have a cold 24/7 ... But that's it. I have no "issues" with my health at all, so I have nothing to worry about if I do get it anyways.

It's just a flu .... who cares? It'll give me some time off classes and exams :P

Babzz
11-02-2009, 11:33 AM
I finally made a decision.. Booked my shot for the H1n1
We both going to get it done..

uptowngurl
11-10-2009, 08:53 AM
We all got ours last night and my son woke up this morning whiter than a ghost and vomiting.The rest of us are fine so far...really sore arms where we got the shot though