PDA

View Full Version : School dress codes.

Upper Decker
09-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Have a question here for the soonet peoples. What are your thoughts on school dress codes? Im asking because my daughter today got sent home today because her knee length shorts apparently are " inappropriate" for school and told to change.

Now I am all for a set of guidelines for a dress code - ie: skirts and dresses must be a certain length, shirts cant be super low cut and not have inappropriate pictures or writing on them. But I for one dont think that it should be up to the individual teachers' right to dictate what the kids wear to school. Sorry about the rant but I am pissed off to no end at the moment as my daughter was outright humilated by her teacher.

Amaranth
09-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Those shorts are NOT knee length.

Peety
09-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Years ago we had a teacher that did not like the boys wearing t-shirts with slogans on them.Good or bad..

Knee length..Too much.If they were short shorts..sure.

Upper Decker
09-16-2009, 11:33 AM
that was problem, they might not have been dead on knee length maybe 3/4 of an inch shorter then the knee, but they definatly werent short shorts. I personally think if anyone looked at her with an inkling of thought to why what she was wearing was inappropriate there is a serious issue.

Amaranth
09-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Her teacher made too big of a deal of it and now she refuses to go back to school for the day.

Peety
09-16-2009, 11:34 AM
I would be calling the school and talking to the principal..

Upper Decker
09-16-2009, 11:37 AM
The part that blows my mind, she has worn these shorts on a few occasions already. I called the principle and she was about as useless as tits on a bull.

Peety
09-16-2009, 11:39 AM
I would be going over her head.. That is to much..I am guessing she not the only kid wearing shorts in the school
Sounds like teacher is having a bad day..knit picking..

Peety
09-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Hmmmm,, that is fairly useless! :srolleyes:

Send the boonyville farmer there to straighten it out :tongue:

I am thinking you need to be straighted out..:madm:

Hans
09-16-2009, 11:47 AM
I thought it was against the law to discriminate against a person based on looks?

Luv'inLife
09-16-2009, 11:49 AM
hey, send her to separate school she can wear a kilt that they all have shortened...seriously!

Upper Decker
09-16-2009, 11:51 AM
She will be going to secondary school with a uniform when she does go.

Amaranth
09-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Dress codes are fine (and not against human rights). At my workplace we have a dress code. I work closely with people and I am sure they don't want to see me wearing short shorts or a micro mini skirt lol. But I would wear those shorts (if I was my daughter's size) to work and no one would even blink an eye. They are dress shorts and they are not inappropriate.

I think she is really upset because her dad called and told the principal that she was um... a prude. God.

Peety
09-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Dress codes are fine (and not against human rights). At my workplace we have a dress code. I work closely with people and I am sure they don't want to see me wearing short shorts or a micro mini skirt lol. But I would wear those shorts (if I was my daughter's size) to work and no one would even blink an eye. They are dress shorts and they are not inappropriate.

I think she is really upset because her dad called and told the principal that she was um... a prude. God.

Ha,Ha...Good for Dad!:thumbs_up:

Luv'inLife
09-16-2009, 11:56 AM

well then you know that you will have to have all her kilts shortened or she will just roll the waist...so no decent short but micro minis are fine....how confusing.

Amaranth
09-16-2009, 11:57 AM

And you think that her hiking up a kilt is fine? Dumb.

Upper Decker
09-16-2009, 11:59 AM
nope she knows better, she never knows when ninja dad can pop out. Shi shi sha

Xzavia
09-16-2009, 12:04 PM
WoW...there was nuttin else wrong with them? Like they weren't skin tight to the point of having some camel toe issues or being see-thru?

Amaranth
09-16-2009, 12:07 PM
WoW...there was nuttin else wrong with them? Like they weren't skin tight to the point of having some camel toe issues or being see-thru?

Nope and the teacher's complaint was, "Her shorts are too short and distracting." I actually helped my daughter fix the shorts this morning because a button came off the pocket and she needed it fixed so I knew what she was wearing. If they were short, too tight, etc I would have told her to march back in her room and change lol. Plus she wore them twice since school started and the teacher never said a word. :confused2:

Barry Morris
09-16-2009, 12:38 PM
I know a kids camp that had a minimum four inch leg length for shorts. Rigorously enforced.

It was however, pretty silly, especially when comparing a little kid with a tall teenager.

IMHO
09-16-2009, 01:34 PM
It sounds like good old SMC. They would serve the students better if they looked at curriculum instead of hems. I think I smell a discrimination case and Huron Superior should be afraid...very afraid. They hate court cases and this short skirt thing is right out to lunch. How humiliating for that to happen during these first days of school. That is something that stays with a person for life and is unnecessary. That PRUDE Prinicpal needs to move on to the board office.

Karen-Annie
09-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Sounds like the teacher was ticked off about something else and took it out on your daughter.....especially given that she had worn them before without a problem. Maybe the teacher was PMS'ing?????:lightning:

Google It
09-16-2009, 03:17 PM
My parents didn't let me wear anything they thought was innapropriate to school, but I was sent home once for that reason...and only once.

My parents went first to the principal, who did nothing, and then to the school board. Her argument was " When you buy her clothes, you can tell her what to wear...I buy her clothes, I dicate what she will wear"....

I wore the same thing to school the next day.

gouligann
09-16-2009, 04:08 PM
I second the idea of going above the principle's head. Call a meeting, take photos of your dau in the shorts in question and don't let them get away with this stupidity.

Hmm, when I consider the MINI skirts some girls wore when I was in high school, now they would be cause for concern. They didn't dare bend over or everyone would know the colour of undies they were wearing that day.

Tutones
09-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Well, really is this even worth fighting about?

Your daughter can't be sent home from school without your permission or your consent during school hours, even if she's sick. How would they even know if anyone was home?
I'd be more worried about that than whose clothing opinion is more important.

Giggle Squirt
09-16-2009, 06:30 PM
actually in my sisters elementary class, a girl wore a tank top to school (hscdsb) and they called her mother at work to come and get the kid from school because she was not wearing clothing that was approrprate. They had some stupied rule that students in like jk/ grade 1 and 2 could wear tank tops but oldder grades i guess it wasn't allowed. They shuould jsut do uniforms from sk up.

Upper Decker
09-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Well, really is this even worth fighting about?

Your daughter can't be sent home from school without your permission or your consent during school hours, even if she's sick. How would they even know if anyone was home?
I'd be more worried about that than whose clothing opinion is more important.

This makes absolutly no sense at all.....

My daughter called home to see about coming home, otherwise she would have beem isolated until the end of the day when she could go home because of the teachers' opinion of clothing. You have to be a complete idiot to think thats honkey dorey. Like my wife and I have clearly stated a few times , the clothing she had on was in no shape or form too revealing or short .

Toto
09-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Clothes were never an issue when I went to school eons ago... School uniform with skirts AT THE KNEE. No exceptions! (It was an all-girls school.)

Amaranth
09-17-2009, 02:51 PM
If I had so much as hiked up my kilt or undone my top button of my skirt, a nun would have disciplined me when I was in grade school. I went to a private school in the early 1980s and it was very strict. If I saw my daughters wear a uniform the way some girls do they would never be allowed to leave the house lol.

Intangible
09-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Kids often roll up shorts. Are you sure your daughter wasn't pulling a Daisy Duke while at school? Did you ask the teacher? Dress codes usually specify that shorts must be mid-thigh or knee-length or whatever. Kids will also often bring a change of clothing to school and change in the washroom after they get there. Not saying your daughter did this, but it's a thought. I hope you spoke to the teacher to clarify.