PDA

View Full Version : Demon's Souls

Ultra54
09-16-2009, 09:34 PM
This game has caught my attention. It is garnering very high reviews but is also extremely challenging. I'm going to give it a whirl.

B.David
09-17-2009, 01:05 AM
It's amazing, definitely my 2009 Game of the Year. 40+ hours logged, still have at least 5 bosses to complete. Already killed the 'final boss' / hardest one. Lots of world tendency stuff to do, at least 2 more playthroughs.

Ultra54
09-17-2009, 09:05 PM
I pre ordered it today from EB. You get a 150 page guide along with an art booklet for 10 bucks more. The strat guide should be useful. I'm pumped to get it.

B.David
09-17-2009, 11:15 PM
I sold my import copy for $80 today, which rocks because I paid $11 to get it from Play-Asia.com back in July. Pre-order for deluxe was paid in full last month, and put full money down on Uncharted 2 today as well.

Ultra54
10-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Well I got it on the day after it was released nationally. EB games is a bit strange in that the national release date was the 6th yet they didn't have it until the 7th. They also didn't give me my preorder bonus until I asked for it and they had to search for it.
I love the game to death. Very addictive and interesting. I love the difficulty lvl of it and all the little details. It has surpassed any Blizzard title to date for me.

B.David
10-19-2009, 03:43 PM
I took a break from it a few days ago, actually... the day Uncharted 2 arrived from Amazon. :) Beat that in a day though, and now I'm playing Brutal Legend. Will go back to Demon's Souls this week likely. My level 98 Knight is awaiting my arrival. :)

Ultra54
10-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Those crystal lizards are driving me nuts! I've only managed to kill one of them. I'm at lvl 37 and I still have the original falcion at +6 and the same hard leather boots and vest. I haven't seen any upgrades yet and i don't have a helm either. I have been playing around making the red eyes knight in 1-1 follow me and fall down a long stair case for a quick 2100 souls. It took me no les than 30 tries to get him to drop the purple flame shield.

Ultra54
10-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Level 2-2 is proving challenging. I've almost run through it now and finally after a couple hours I died in the confusing maze of tunnels. I built up 18000 souls along the way and on my way back to retrieve it the wildest thing happened. I battled a rock worm and defeated him handily but......but. I was on an edge of a huge cliff and as the thing died and flopped over it landed directly on me and knocked me to my death. 20000 souls lost, and I loved it! This is my kind of game. I had to quit to let my family have the tv back or else I would have tried again.
No armour upgrades yet and no magic abilities. I hear their are magic arrows but I haven't found any. There sure is alot to this game.

B.David
10-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Haha, 30 tries for the purple flame shield? You can pick that up on the ground near the dragon roost in 1-1. I have mine at +6 for the two points that I need it in the game...1-4 just before the boss & the 2-2 boss.

The most souls I've lost and was unable to regain is somewhere around 35,000. It sucks, but it's expected to happen more than once in a game like this... just gotta deal with it. As for upgrades, don't worry too much.. I didn't upgrade my armor until level 80+ when I switched from Fluted Armor to Gloom Armor.

Magic arrows... refers to the spells Soul Arrow/Homing Soul Arrow

Ultra54
10-21-2009, 06:11 AM
Ahh...ok. I could do that run to get the red eyes night in 4 minutes which nets me around 3000 souls.It's an easy way to generate income. It can prove tricky to get him to fall to his death. I enjoy the aspect of trying to overcome/master each portion of the game as you progress towards the final boss at each stage.

B.David
10-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Want a quicker way to get souls at your current level? Assuming you defeated the Tower Knight (1-2), use that archstone and kill the 2 blue eye knights in the hallway and those 3 archers. It's about 1000 souls each time and you don't need to walk all the way up and do the trick with the red-eye knight.

Once you can manage in 4-1/4-2 there's a method to get 4500 souls every minute.

Ultra54
10-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'm having a tuff time defeating the Flamelurker boss on 2-2. Any suggestions?

B.David
10-23-2009, 01:30 AM
I had trouble with him at level 80, no shield. I'd suggest Warding (spell), Purple Flame Shield (upgraded if possible), and strong melee if that's your character style... but if you went magic route, Water Veil, Soul Arrow, and good luck. :)

Ultra54
10-25-2009, 10:39 AM
I got him last night finally only to find out there is another dragon boss 500 feet away...lol. I think part of the charm of this game is the somewhat bizarre mechanics of upgrading and the world/character tendancy thing along with upgrading. Take all this and have very little info on this complex system to boot. I really enjoy it all though and I feel it adds to the replay value.

B.David
10-25-2009, 07:39 PM
The Dragon God was a joke battle for me. He didn't even hit me, and I wasn't doing anything special to avoid him. I smashed through the debris with my sword, fired each harpoon, and then smacked him once on the nose to end the battle. Oddly enough, despite the lack of an actual 'battle', I think he was the coolest boss in the game next to 'Storm King'.

Ultra54
10-25-2009, 10:54 PM
I have to admit it, I found it on Youtube. Question: what is the effect on your weopon when you upgrade it and it goes from a Dex rating of c to say s? I looked in my guide and at the branch at +3 you could choose to switch weopon to a different name. It had the same damage rating but the dex rating went to a "s"

B.David
10-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Not sure actually... haven't really looked into different effects outside of pure attack power.