PDA

View Full Version : half the city with no power?

Giggle Squirt
09-19-2009, 10:56 PM
I just got out of the greyhound game and was suprised to find out that all of queen street up to wendys was no power
then I got a call from my BIL who is on the far end of trunk road asking if we had power because he has no power??? Did i miss something fun?

bluekrissyspikes
09-19-2009, 11:05 PM
the power went out right when everyone was leaving the game. it's back on now. it was out maybe 20 minutes.

Rosie
09-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Mine was out on the hill, and I drove kids home to queen east, via well. It was out all the way, traffic lights, street lights, it looked darker then I've ever seen it down most of the streets, some areas still had power, it was kind of creepy..........

KRP
09-19-2009, 11:49 PM
It was creepy walking out of the Essar Centre and looking down Bruce and seeing everything was out. As I got to Bay St. I looked down and it was pitch black, my husband and I left and we were looking down Queen and Albert and that and it was very creepy not being able to see anything at all.

bluekrissyspikes
09-19-2009, 11:53 PM
i found it more freaky trying to figure out where my ten month old had crawled off too.

Giggle Squirt
09-19-2009, 11:56 PM
I didn't even notice that queen street and all that had no power. I didn't even notice that the bus station had no power either!!! My hunny had to point it out for me. Shows you how much attention I pay to detail!

lynys
09-20-2009, 07:50 AM
We had no power for about 25 minutes. From what I hear, downtown, the hill area, Churchill Plaza area, and some in the east end went dark.

geogett
09-20-2009, 08:09 AM
i was in reggies last nite when it went out - it does give off a creepy feeling when you cant see - but the emergency lights were on in the bar though :) u could still see a lil bit.

shy1
09-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Our power didn't go off. we live in the east end

verotik66
09-20-2009, 08:51 AM
it was the rowdy football fans!

Xzavia
09-20-2009, 11:00 AM
We were in the dark for awhile last night too, kids thought it was neat lighting all the candles.

I was thankful that it hadn't been raining too much, usually the power goes out and were scrambling to get the generator hooked up for the sump pump. This year Hubby invested in a battery back up thingy for it so we could sit in the dark and enjoy the flickering candles.

Peety
09-20-2009, 11:02 AM
We were in the dark for awhile last night too, kids thought it was neat lighting all the candles.

I was thankful that it hadn't been raining too much, usually the power goes out and were scrambling to get the generator hooked up for the sump pump. This year Hubby invested in a battery back up thingy for it so we could sit in the dark and enjoy the flickering candles.

Almost sounds romantic..

Xzavia
09-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Oh yeah....throw three kids in the mix and there's romance all right!!! LOL!!!!

Peety
09-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Oh yeah....throw three kids in the mix and there's romance all right!!! LOL!!!!

Ha,Ha..

Karen-Annie
09-20-2009, 01:23 PM
It was a bit startling walking out of a brightly lit building into the darkness although it didn't get REALLY dark until we were away from any area that did have lights. On the route we travelled, I was impressed that drivers followed the rules at intersections that apply when streetlights are out. When we got home and got out of the car, Bob Toe thought I was nuts as I stood looking up at the stars.

One thing that did surprise me was that Cambrian Mall was pitch black. I would have thought that it would some kind of emergency generator or battery operated emergency lights. I couldn't see the smallest glimmer through any windows or doors.

09-20-2009, 01:26 PM
I immediately went and sat outside. It was pitch black, and the sky was lit nicely!

Rosie
09-20-2009, 04:41 PM
We went and sat outside too, it was brighter than in the house......the star were pretty amazing

CANDY_74
09-20-2009, 04:51 PM
We were having a fire in the backyard so it was kinda nice to have it completely dark except for the fire :)

And the stars looked so much better when it was completely dark

Huggy85
09-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Looks like I wasn't the only one to experience something that nobody would have noticed without the power outage. The stars were a treat, for sure. I'm grateful the power went out for a bit.

Misschix
09-20-2009, 06:21 PM
its weird ...my power at breakaway was NOT out and that is on dennis right under the union hall....

Karen-Annie
09-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah, PUC was a little inaccurate as power was ON on the south side of Queen to the river.....unless there were areas to the south that did lose it.

Giggle Squirt
09-22-2009, 01:29 PM
I think it has to do with the way the grids are set up in the city.