PDA

View Full Version : Boat Ownership Question

chase_me
09-19-2009, 11:06 PM
we just got a boat and there was no ownership from it, the person we got it from recieved it from a person who used it at his camp for years and tehn it sat for a few years unused, nobody has an ownership for it or the trailer and unsure of who's name it would have been in if it even was. Does anyone know how we would go about getting it registered and getting plates for the trailer?

Giggle Squirt
09-19-2009, 11:32 PM
they can run the vin at the mto. if it was ever registered they will will give you the name of the person who last owned it. I know this applies for cars... so trailers should be the same thing. Of course there is a fee.

verotik66
09-20-2009, 08:50 AM
if the trailer has no vin you can register it as home made and declare a value and pay tax on the value

fenderbass
09-20-2009, 09:07 AM
if it is a small Aluminum boat then it doesn't need to be registered..MTO will not be able to help you with the vin...Most older small boats did not come with an ownership card..Only newer models with in the last few years do..I would guess 5 to 7 yrs.. As for the trailer you need ownership for it..I would register it as home made. As long as there is no other vin on the trailer
(as verotik66 recommended)..just remember one thing when you register it as home made..You can't build a trailer for less then $500. the price of steel alone cost close to that..

mboy67
09-20-2009, 12:40 PM
How big is the boat (all boats with 10HP and larger need to be registered) and does it have any numbers on it. If it has reg numbers on it you have to go to Sault Ste. Marie Service Canada Center office at 22 Bay as they have the info on boat registration.

http://142.236.54.112/eng/sc/boats/how.shtml#a2

If the trailer still has a plate on it they can use that number to find out who it last was resisted to.

chase_me
09-20-2009, 03:58 PM
no plate on trailer not sure of vin, at least 9 yrs old, no numbers on boat either

Giggle Squirt
09-20-2009, 04:04 PM
the vin is usually etched into the frame on the boat, up by the tongue or on the underside of the frame.