PDA

View Full Version : tribag mine

verotik66
09-20-2009, 10:51 PM
anyone been up there recently, i went to batchewana falls today and was thinking of going up to the mine it's about another 6 miles in i think.

kitca
09-21-2009, 11:11 AM
its a beautiful ride. im waiting till the leaves are out a bit more. i believe it is 17 miles or kms from the highway. the falls or gorge? is about 6 or 7 i think. there is lots still there to see, its very interesting. but i havent been this year yet.

verotik66
09-21-2009, 11:46 AM
went to the falls which is about 4.2 miles in it was a great day for it but i had to get home to the kids so no time to get to the mine

$Spendbender$
09-21-2009, 11:59 AM
We go up there all the time.

What are you driving? Bike or truck?

The mine is about 20 miles in. We haven't been there since the spring. We were going to take the kids in there this summer but our concern is the water crossing. It might be kinda full from all the rain we got this summer. I *highly doubt* you'd get a truck in there right now. Shouldn't be a problem with the 4-wheelers, but you'll definately get wet.

If you take the 67 road up and around the top, you can drive right in with a truck. It takes longer, but it's a great ride. I can send you the route if you're interested.

verotik66
09-21-2009, 04:08 PM
heh i would love the route on the 67 road to get there!

$Spendbender$
09-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Sent you a PM verotik.

kitca
09-21-2009, 06:27 PM
oh, its the 67 road. i had heard it was the carp river road. ive only gone the tribag mine road though. planning on going this fall also, are the creeks really up that high?

verotik66
09-21-2009, 09:14 PM
thanks for the interest!

shadowjak
09-22-2009, 10:31 AM
You should find these interesting.
I have been to a few of them.

http://www.dankachur.com/mines/mines.htm

http://www.dankachur.com/mines/tribag/tribag.htm

Sweet Little Sister
09-22-2009, 12:57 PM
beautiful area..i haven't been up there since i was a kid.
on a side note..did you know it got it's name from an old hermit who lived up there and had 6 testicles? true story. ;)

Andre
09-22-2009, 01:40 PM
I LOL'D
You win
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/Andrjohson/five/freeinternet.jpg

theShadow
09-23-2009, 08:58 AM
We used to take the dirt bikes up there years ago. There is access to the north part of Hibbard bay across the highway too where there is lots of beach and no camps, which we'd use as our starting and ending point.

kitca
09-23-2009, 06:43 PM
isnt hibbard bay so beautiful!!!! a couple years ago there werent too many campers there, but these last few summers it is busy every weekend and even during the week. i wish i could buy that piece of land where the old foundation is, that would be a dream come true!

i stumbled across dan's mine site awhile back. he has some pretty cool stuff on there eh. i find old mine sites facinating, and i had no idea there were so many in our area.

theShadow
09-23-2009, 10:35 PM
We used to call that area secret beach because there was never anyone out there. That was just after they burned that place down (the foundation). There is an old mine camp tucked in there just to the south but still north of the Lighthouse, off that part of old 17. We were all through that area on the bikes, and up to the mine and down to the old Black Forest on parts of old 17. We'd stage at the beach, then end up back there for dinner and a swim.

I did have a geologist tell me a few years back that the reason that the water is so clear there is from the mine tailings running off into the bay through that little creek just north of the basalt out-cropping. He said it poisoned the algae and microlife. I don't know how true that would be, it's a big lake, but the water was clear. I haven't been up there since before I left town.

kitca
09-23-2009, 11:53 PM
hmmmm. we have checked out most of that area and havent come across an old mine. sometimes things get so overgrown you dont know if you dont know.

there is another place further up the highway just past mamanse that used to belong to the military. there is an old bunker or something in the trees there that you dont realize is there till someone shows you. its so covered in moss and stuff. then they told us how they would shoot these cannon things into the water and now folks go diving out there looking for these cannon ball things. my dad remembers my grandfather going out there and there was this big area with all these tents and people. now, youd never know.

have you ever been up to jardin mine? its really nice when you get close to weishgog lake and the area around the mine. not as nice as the ride to tribag though...

shadowjak
09-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Mamainse was the training site for Canadian and American Air Defense Artillery.
They had a few Quonset huts with stone foundations and there was a launching track for the Drones.
The Canadians used targets towed by an airplane and the Americans used remote control drones powered by a small gas engine.
There are still Artillery shells on the lake bottom as well as some intact drones and pieces of drones.
The shells should be left alone.Dont pick them up,bring them to the surface or disturb them in any way.
Some people say that they are inert after being under water for years,but Lake Superior being fresh and cold can keep metal quite well preserved.
Some of the hand laid stone foundations have been picked at by treasure hunters who probably think they will find hidden money etc.
They should have a plaque with the history of the site on it.
If you look on the far north of the site you will also find a Canadian Defense survey marker.

The Jardun Mine area is beautiful.I have been all through there on my dirt bike.

theShadow
09-25-2009, 07:56 PM
All kinds of junk in the water out there besides shells too, with the shipwrecks over the years. We did some diving off the point between Hibbard and Mamanse and there was all kinds of old ship parts, rigging fittings, a boiler, even some old square spikes.

Good thing we didn't see any artillery shells. We probably would have went "hey, what a cool souvinir!"

How ya been, Shadowjak?

kitca
09-26-2009, 10:14 AM
thanks for sharing all that information. i wish i knew more about this area, i find it so interesting.

Xzavia
09-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Spent the better part of the day today touring around in there, we went in off the Tribag Mine Road, off the highway...DO NOT reccommend that route unless you've got 4 wheel drive or 4-wheeler would be even better though. We made it but thankfully Hubby knows his truck and how to use it. Couple of bridges washed out but were able to get through as the water was just trickling in spots if that. Then there was that really narrow part along the river....yikes!!!

As for the water....not gushing anywhere along the route. If you take a truck that route don't be shy about getting some new scratches on the paint from the brush along the road.

Finally got on to a really nice road in the middle of nowhere. Met up with a group of people on 4-wheelers, 2 of them had 2 different directions on which road went to the mine. We went with the one "that knew what he was talking about" and ended up coming out on the 67 and meeting the highway...never did find the mine.

Now we are going to try it again, going in on the 67 (much easier to travel road), and following what the other guy told us. (He's in some of the pictures, actually IN the mine).

Either way in would be a much better ride on the 4-wheelers IMO. We had fun touring around in there though, kids loved the day-long adventure too!

kitca
10-01-2009, 12:02 AM
it is so nice up there isnt it. was there much color yet?

the mine itself is not far off the road, only about a mile or two. when yo take the tribag mine road in and you come to an area of evacuation or something. a clearing. the mine road is just about a mile or even less before you reach that clearing. you go off to the left and up a hill.

good luck, let us know how you made out. ps, 67 road is easier, but its boring isnt it? we only went up maybe 15 miles though.

shadowjak
10-01-2009, 11:29 AM
All kinds of junk in the water out there besides shells too, with the shipwrecks over the years. We did some diving off the point between Hibbard and Mamanse and there was all kinds of old ship parts, rigging fittings, a boiler, even some old square spikes.

Good thing we didn't see any artillery shells. We probably would have went "hey, what a cool souvinir!"

How ya been, Shadowjak?

Really busy,out of town a bit.
And taking care of an elderly relative.
It seems like there is no time to get it all done.
How have you been?

Xzavia
10-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Kitca....some area seemed to be bursting with colour then further along there wouldn't be much colour at all. We figured for sure being further up North there'd be alot of colour, probably by now there is though.

Your directions sound the same as what the other guy first told us, that's what were gonna try next time.

Here's a couple pics I took last week, you can see what I mean about the colour.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Xzavia69/TriBagMineRoad011-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Xzavia69/TriBagMineRoad002.jpg

kitca
10-01-2009, 08:13 PM
thanks! that river picture is just gorgeous!!!

and yes, i see what you mean about the color.

MaO3
10-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Yeah, Everywoman, go with the directions from the first guy. The one who told you to go back to the fork. He knew what he was talking about, apparently the other two were talking out of thier Backsides! LOL

We had a drink with the first guy you talked with last night, he and my son remembered you guys very well. :)

Xzavia
10-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Everywoman was there too? Dam....I missed her! LOL...one day when we got time on our hands were going to go back up there Ma, check out the other way the first guy told us to go, gorgeous area up there...I love our country!

MaO3
10-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Duhhh what a ditz I am. I meant that for you Xzavia!